U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 06:30 PM

240 posts, read 1,316,524 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I am trying to find an affordable place to live that is closer to Texas, but not necessarily in Texas, than my present home here in California. Kansas has some lovely old homes in small towns that I can afford to buy, so I find it especially attractive. My concerns have to do with isolation, lack of shopping, etc. Can anyone who is familiar with the Smith Center general area in North Central Kansas please respond by telling me where you go shopping, the distance to the closest Target, WalMart, Home Depot, Staples, mall, etc. Also, anything else that you think might be useful for me to know about before I make the big move. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 07:06 AM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Smith Center is a town located near the Nebraska border in Kansas. It is mainly an agricultural area with very little in the way of non-farm employment. Most of the younger people have been leaving the area for better jobs in urban areas for a very long time. Housing is very cheap because their is so little demand and the population is rapidly declining. Smith County has about 4,000 residents so it is fairly rural and isolated. I think the nearest big shopping area might be Kearney, Nebraska. If you want a quiet isolated town that has a very old population than Smith Center would definitely work for you.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 AM

240 posts, read 1,316,524 times
Thank you, Plains10, very much for taking the time to respond. I like an older population because it usually means a lot less crime and less problems. I grew up near farms in PA and love rurual life. This could work.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM

15 posts, read 71,595 times
Default Maharishiville in Smith Center, KS

You might find this of interest.

Maharishi to build World Capital of Peace in Kansas

The folks in Smith Center and northern KS certainly did...

Regards,

Mile High

Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 PM

83 posts, read 294,113 times
Could be worse, at least they are a peaceful people!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:03 AM

Thumbs up smith center

Smith center is a wonerful place to live. You can buy a house for what you would put down most places, the people are friendly and curteous and very little crime. There is shopping there and if you dont mind a nice, peaceful drive, Hastings and Grand Island is just a nice drive away. What kind of job are you looking for? There is a factory that makes beautiful 5th wheelers and they are a huge employer. Also hospitals, schools, stores, resturants. I am coming back to the area later this week. After living there, I just cant live in Wyo anymore!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 23,264 times
I've seriously considered moving to the Smith Center area. I have family that lives there already. I'm originally from the Central part of the state in the first place (Great Bend area). I moved to Lawrence about five years ago, but I miss the rural central/western Kansas lifestyle a lot. The only drawback is the job opportunities. I'm sadly a victim of the youth moving away from rural central/western Kansas due to lack of jobs, but I so badly want to live back in the north central part of the state where my roots/family/friends are at.

It is very depressing to think about all those that are my age and younger moving away from perfectly great communities. Those small rural Kansas towns are everything one could dream for if you like the simple, low crime, down to earth people, and the great outdoors. My friends and I always talk about how we wish we could all be living back home, but we sadly can't easily. I just wish there were more rich people willing to open up business's to draw in the youth of those communities to stay. Who knows I very may well still move to the Smith Center area in the near future anyways and go from there.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 PM

Petersons is always hiring and of course the Hospital is always hiring, There is a Dollar General which is hiring and the Center Hotel needs a housekeeper. Alco will be needing to hire people soon. The marahishi things is a huge scam to try to take over our area but they are not welcome here! Plenty of people looking for jobs here but they are hiring mexicans from Chihuhua instead of hiring americans to build their buildings here. I have a problem with that as do many others here! If they want to be a part of our community, they need to act like it!
Anyhow, Mojoben, I hope you do decide to come back to the area, this is a great place to live, and I am sure you can find a job. You may not make as much as in other places, but then, it dont take as much to live here!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:33 PM

7 posts, read 23,264 times
I already understand fully about taking what you can get living back there. That is one reason why I might just go ahead and do it. luckily for me I'm not very materialistic in the first place. lol Living in Lawrence is cheap compared to most places in the country the same size, but still a little steep for me.

I just thought Lawrence would make for a better life, but it really isn't that much different then home, but bigger. Don't get me wrong, I like Lawrence, but it isn't for me.

I still have time to make my mind up due to my lease. Still more time to research and check things out back in the north central part of the state. I was looking over the housing cost of Smith Center and didn't realize they were that cheap. Lawrence is at least double or more. I remember talking to people about how much I make and think I was doing fine, but the standard of living was completely different in Lawrence then back home. haha I found that out real fast.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:41 PM

I live in Lebanon and work in Smith Center. The quality of life here is so much better. I been all over the country but this is the only place I have ever felt at home. I went back to Casper, Wyo this past summer due to my old boss calling me and asking me to come back there but I got homesick! Sure, Wal Mart is 64 miles away, but when I go there, I make a day of it. As for not having all kinds of "stuff to do", I have plenty to do right here at home, I dont have to waste money on "entertainment" all the time. I can go outside at night and not have to worry about getting stabbed or beat up or mugged, things that happened to me in big cities! Financially, I can live better on $5/hr here than I was doing in Casper on $10/hr and am so much happier and much more peace and safety here, which means a LOT to me! Lots of people here work for themselves too. Being the only seamstress in town, I am starting a sewing business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas