U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:25 PM

30 posts, read 104,408 times
I swear all anyone ever says on these thing is negative. I grew up in Topeka. I lived by Lake Shawnee in a great home, great neighborhood and went to a great public school. (usd 450) My children go to the same school are in high school, both are very well behaved, straight A students and very involved in sports. Although like any town Topeka has some bad areas there are many good ones like my parents neighborhood in Clarion. Wasburn rual is a great school, as well as the one my boys go to. (Shawnee Heights) Anything on the west side of town by Wanamaker St is perfectly safe. Just avoid downtown and east Topeka and you will be fine!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 8,488 times
Default Moving from NYC

We are currently living in NYC and planning to move to Topeka, Kansas by summer due to a job. We have a 4 year old daughter. So far, I read that SW is a good area to live in Topeka. What about the public school in SW Topeka? Is is good too? Is the SW area diversed? How is the safety compared to NYC? Please advise. Thank you so much.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:42 PM

30 posts, read 104,408 times
I dont know where in NYC you live, but the safety in Topeka has got to be better than what you are used to. It is WAY smaller than NYC. The sw area is diverse as are the area schools. Topeka West in sw topeka is a better school than Topeka high. Your best bet would be washburn rhural school district though. Dont worry and dont let the people on here scare you. They are just hating on Topeka just like everyone else on here is hating on every other town posted. I grew up in Topeka, my kids are growing up in Topeka and all is well. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 8,488 times
Default Thanks missikay10

Thanks for your reply Missikay. Made me feel a lot better. I guess everytown has it's own good and bad area. We are really looking into moving into the SW area of Topeka. Thanks again for your input.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,091 times
I am blown away by the negativity of the people on this post. I have lived in Lawrence and Topeka and am very happy in Topeka. We live in SW Topeka, but I have lived in SE also. I have never been a victim of a crime, and the schools and recreational activities are great. Yes there is crime in the central part of the city which has more lower income families, but crime is decreasing in Topeka, down 23% in the 1st quarter of 2008, and down 10% in 2007 to 2006.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:17 PM

92 posts, read 160,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblonde View Post
The most interesting thing I discovered is that there is very little understanding or appreciation for the "collective good". The attitude in the state is a kind of extreme libertarianism where any attempt to harness collective resources is vehemently resisted, even to the point of creating bigger problems for the state. As such, services are limited, the physical surroundings are often neglected and allowed to fall into decline, and people out of the mainstream suffer disproportionately. Perhaps the hardest part for me is dealing with the pervasive anti-intellectualism. It is almost considered a crime to be well educated and often results in social ostracism and derision.
Sounds like a microcosm of what's been the pervasive mentality in America since Ronald Reagan. Hopefully we're coming out of that now.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,832 times
Default Trying to relocate

I am also planning to relocate but saw all these negative reviews. What about the area south of SW 21st and west of SW Wanamaker Road. I believe it is Brookfield.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,232 times
Default Check out the crime statistics in your area- or future area

Topeka.org | City of Topeka Crime Stats

My husband and I are relying on this website heavily while making our choice in a rental. Although my mom's new significant other is a TPD retiree and still has access to info I just started digging myself and found this VERY HELPFUL WEBSITE!
Stay away from the SE for sure. There are also a lot of problem areas in the SW part of town now. The neighborhood I grew up in (by Avondale West) now houses many druggies, criminals,etc.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missikay10 View Post
I swear all anyone ever says on these thing is negative. I grew up in Topeka. I lived by Lake Shawnee in a great home, great neighborhood and went to a great public school. (usd 450) My children go to the same school are in high school, both are very well behaved, straight A students and very involved in sports. Although like any town Topeka has some bad areas there are many good ones like my parents neighborhood in Clarion. Wasburn rual is a great school, as well as the one my boys go to. (Shawnee Heights) Anything on the west side of town by Wanamaker St is perfectly safe. Just avoid downtown and east Topeka and you will be fine!!
yea ******* its good for ****ers like u who can afford to live out there.. come to my area and get your caps peeled

Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,272 times
I was born and raised in Topeka and i must say i have never liked it here. There is nothing for kids to do other than participate in sports. What about a nice, safe place to hang out? This is a nice place to be if you plan on retiring or if you can afford to get out every now and then but there is nothing to stimulate anyone here young or adult. Which is why most people go to KC. But for the kids from lower income homes whose parents do not have the means to get them into sports they get bored and tend to find other ways to pass time and they are not always good ones. I am looking for a place to go in a few years and once i find that place i will leave without looking back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas