U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 PM

22 posts, read 46,921 times

Advertisements

What do you mean by northern state?
I'm guessing your talking about ND, SD, Minnesota, etc, upper midwest not northeast.

And yes Kansans certainly talk different than people in those areas, that is what I mean by different accents within accent regions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 AM

761 posts, read 1,046,568 times
Extreme Western Kansas used to have it because it has been documented in books such as In Cold Blood, but except for older residents and some kids who pretend to have one it has been replaced by the same accents you will hear in lets say Wichita. I don't know what kinds of Accents may be surviving in extreme south east Kansas though.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM

12,201 posts, read 11,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
How prevalent is the southern accent in Kansas? Would you say a typical Kansas "native" would have a slight twang to their voice or no? Is it more prevalent in southeastern KS? I've always been curious of this...

Thanks
Not so much until i cross over into Ks.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,062,608 times
Most Kansan's have a more neutral accent, but in the SE part of the state I have met a few with slight southern accents, but nothing like you would find in the South. Remember most Kansan's traditionally are from the north and relocated to there during the civil war, but there was also some southern influence. After the civil war, many southerners left and headed back to their respected home states, hence not leaving much southern influence.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 AM

306 posts, read 677,222 times
I'm from SC and went to Wichita State University. I met good friends from all over Kansas, none of whom spoke a hint of "southern". Just like their geographic position in the lower 48 (Salina, KS being the geographic center), they are in the middle with no accent, speaking much like newscasters on TV.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 PM

31 posts, read 100,188 times
My experience is that Kansans from more rural areas tend to have a more distinct local dialect, I wouldn't say it is a southern accent, but some peculiarities in vocabulary and pronunciation of certain words. For example my Mom and Dad grew up in Pretty Prairie and a farm near Kingman respectively, while I grew up in Hutch then moved to Wichita in the 80's. They say things like crick for creek, woish for wash, pop not soda, not-too-whippy meaning not too good, mow the lawn not cut the grass. Ain't is common, as is abbreviating words like huntin' or fishin'... Living in Wichita and working with people from around the country I have learned to "correct" myself on some of these pronunciations mainly (for better or worse !) I think it is the influence of being in a larger city and being exposed to more people from outside rural kansas.
OK, off on a tangent...Actually that disturbs me a little because I love hearing peculiarities and local flavor in language. For some reason people like to mock differences, particularly southern accents but I really enjoy listening to different accents of people from different areas of the country and the world for that matter.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,162,078 times
When I visited Hays this June, it sounded just like Northeast Ohio to me. Nobody said to me: "You're not from around here, are you?"

There are people in this part of Ohio who do say worsh and Worshington, crick, feesh, Meechigan, etc (my spell checker is complaining about these phonetic spellings). My 9th grade English teacher told us that saying worsh and Worshington sounded uneducated. I made sure not to do that.

Both Ohio and Kansas pronounce many city names differently. Wooster, for instance is pronounced "Wuster", not "Woooster". I learned how to pronounce Salina, Trego, and Arkansas when I was in Kansas.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM

85 posts, read 200,132 times
out in western kansas we do have a drawl and proud of it, personaly we are proud of the stars and bars also

Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM

22,222 posts, read 38,781,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernkansas View Post
out in western kansas we do have a drawl and proud of it, personaly we are proud of the stars and bars also
Go move to Texas then...

Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,945,034 times
Growing up in a southern part of Oklahoma, I didn't pay attention to accents until later years moving to the northern part of the state. Very different accents. Listening to myself on a tape recorder, my voice sounded way too countrified to suit my ears, so, I taught myself how I wanted to sound. While traveling in the UK, a man from Australia asked where in the states I was from? He said he knew I wasn't from either the East or West Coast. My brother married a woman from Boston who has a more "finishing school" speech pattern. He has nourished his accent to sound even more backwoods than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas