Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernkansas View Post
out in western kansas we do have a drawl and proud of it, personaly we are proud of the stars and bars also
Really? You sure your not speaking for yourself on that one? Seems weird that KS would proud of the stars and bars, seeing it was a Union state. Also are you ACTUALLY referring to the Stars and Bars....or the Rebel Flag (stars in X pattern) because they are not the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 PM

306 posts, read 758,218 times
Stars and Bars refers to the Confederate flag of 1862.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,753 times
As a kid, I was always so confused when people from Kansas displayed confederate flags since ya know, Kansas wasn't part of the south. Anyway. This is an old thread, eh?

The only people I knew from SE Kansas with very distinct accents were farmers and Mennonites. Everyone else had a more neutral standard American English dialect/accent going on. It was kind of weird, though, because all the kids who lived in "town" didn't have the accent, but a lot of kids who grew up on farms did, even though they went to public school and associated all the time with everyone else in town who were not on farms.

No one sounds southern, though. More like a Texas drawl, but not as extreme.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
When I visit my relatives in rural SW Kansas, the accent definitely has a bit of a a "drawl" to my Michigan ears. Vowels are much more drawn out and rounded. When people say "on" its sounds like "awn" to me, instead of the "ahn" that I'm used to. There is definitely a twang.

I know the accent isn't truly southern, but coming from quite a ways north, it definitely sounds southern-lite to me. But I actually would say the same thing about the accents in the mid to southern parts of Indiana and Ohio, too.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Part of SE Kansas was settled by people from Kentucky, Tennessee and Texas and you can definitely hear the influence. Part of SE aligned it self with the confederates.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,457 times
Quote:
personaly we are proud of the stars and bars also
And real Kansans are ashamed of you.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
out in western kansas we do have a drawl and proud of it, personaly we are proud of the stars and bars also
Why would you be proud of that? KS wasn't a confederate state! I was born and raised in KS and always considered myself to be a "northerner".

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Part of SE Kansas was settled by people from Kentucky, Tennessee and Texas and you can definitely hear the influence. Part of SE aligned it self with the confederates.
SE Kansas was also heavily settled by immigrants from the Balkans and mining regions in western Pennsylvania.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Really? You sure your not speaking for yourself on that one? Seems weird that KS would proud of the stars and bars, seeing it was a Union state. Also are you ACTUALLY referring to the Stars and Bars....or the Rebel Flag (stars in X pattern) because they are not the same thing.
Yeah, he's speaking for himself and the very small minority of other a$$holes in Kansas who put confederate flags on their trucks to demonstrate their racism in a "safe" way. And while I have no doubt that racism in Kansas is as or more widespread than anywhere else in America, I can assure you and the traitors who fly confederate flags that southern revisionist sympathies are not.

Kansas, as any even casual observer can note, is proud (sometimes inappropriately, or in a way that isn't entirely accurate) of its Free State civil war history, i.e., John Brown, Jayhawkers, Red Legs, Exodusters, etc.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,012 times
Quote:
Lol, I find this hilarious. I wonder if you have ever heard of the border wars? I find it funny how you somehow think you are part of the south. Kansas was TOTALLY pro union during the war. There is no question about it. I will admit one or two counties in the very far southeastern part of the state do exhibit some southern/ozarkian culture....but nowhere near the same southern characteristics as anywhere in southern Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas