U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2007, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,752 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in Chanute that starts mid Sept. We live in Springfield Mo. We drove up Monday and Tuesday looking for a home to rent so we can sell our property here, but saw nothing. We tried the Chamber of Commerce but found nothing. We tried the papers but found nothing. We've emailed realtors but had only one response from Boone saying they would try to help. We plan on buying there after our house sells but need to find a place fast. I work part-time at Wal-Mart and could transfer if I knew where I was going to be. My kids are 16, 14, and 8. We're going to be divided if we can't find something soon. How do you find a place to rent there? We have to rent in order to sell in order to buy. The company my husband worked for is closing. The job offer there is a blessing. I hope finding this forum is another. In advance for any help...Thank You. Long time Jayhawk fan, and frazzled Mom, Paula

Last edited by pmgreen86; 08-24-2007 at 12:38 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,752 times
We are interested in any town in a 20 mile radius. Just saying hi is OK too.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:30 PM

55 posts, read 205,406 times
Paula,

Sorry no one has responded. Both Chanute and Iola (and all towns in SE KS outside of Pittsburg, for that matter) are experiencing a serious housing crisis. The problem is that most of the housing stock is old with median ages of approximately 70 years. Meaning most housing in these communities was constructed between the 1920s and 1940s. There is very little multi-family development (apartments) and very few new housing developments (if any). There is also a strong resentment to rental housing in general, which may be why it is so difficult to get help from organizations and agencies which should be helping (Chamber, realtors, etc). I think your best bet would be to ask your husband to check with co-workers at his new employer to see if any of them can help you find a place. Its likely one of them will have a house you can rent, or will know who you can call. Good luck...

Old 08-25-2007, 12:34 PM

55 posts, read 205,406 times
Another thought, you could also check with City Hall. Sounds bizarre.. but a lot of the local governments in this region and local politicians would LOVE to see their town grow in any way, and should especially love to see a family of five move to town (three new kids in the school system - in KS schools are funded on a per-pupil basis, so the more students, the more funding). I would think the Mayor or City Manager or City Clerk would be responsive, especially considering you arent getting any help from other reasonable sources.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:40 PM

103 posts, read 405,958 times
Default Keep trying, it will pay off in the end!

pmgreen86, sorry to hear of the problems ...there is a housing shortage in SEK, but it's still strange what you've run into...

Rentals in SEK, especially houses, are always in short supply because they are so cheap, people just buy them. As population remains stagnant, no one really wants to build new apartments or homes.

Odd, but the good news is that housing is very inexpensive, especially compared to Springfield. Once you sell in Missouri, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what your money buys in SEK.

In the meantime--I like the idea of asking city hall itself. But agree the best bet is ask your husband's future employer/co-workers to help, they probably personally know sources to call.

Within a half hourish drive of Chanute are much smaller towns--Humboldt, Erie, Cherryvale, Colony--each has a high school, though rather small. It would be worth making inquiries in town and maybe you'll get a bite. If you haven't already, let people know you are willing to commute or they may assume otherwise, because commuting is not the norm. My other suggestion--don't rely on e-mails to realtors, they may think you are not serious and won't respond.

Sorry can't help much--I do think it will all pay off in time with a very nice home in a nice area for you and the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas