Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, aren't most 18 year olds twits? Maybe she'll learn to state her opinion like an adult next time.
Really? If I was watching Gov. Quinn speak here in Illinois, I would almost certainly tell my companions what an idiot the guy is, and I'm twice her age. That wouldn't preclude me from later writing up a detailed analysis on his policies. Sometimes you just need to express yourself and let off steam. That's immature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM

53 posts, read 135,264 times
I'm not really sure going from ~60 to > 1K twitter followers is a good thing thing because their are butt-holes in every group . Social media can be downright unsociable at times. Most likely at least one provocateur laying in wait in the new followers

Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM

I'm thinking Brownback needs to find staff that has skin thick enough to work for a governor. Hell it's twitter, opinions are have to be concise. When one says he sucks, they aren't inferring he actually sucks some body part. Although no doubt some in the immorally ambiguous moral majority would like to spin it that way.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Brownbacks's office was reaching out to a young person his in his State, only in your fiction. The only thing that the reference article says about the staff is that they monitor social media for mention of Brownback, no mention of the staff contacting Emma or her school. I suppose as the school became involved, it would be safe the staff did contact the school, but that sounds more like vindictive action, not reaching out, particularly there was no threat with the tweet.In the event Emma was immature it appears one or more of the staff was as well Unless you forgotten twitter posts are limited to 140 characters, not allowing for long commentary.
News to me that the Republican territory of Kansas is doing well economically. Cap and trade isn't likely reduce emissions, but it is a capitalist free market approach, and evidently has been in place for some pollutants for some time. Cap and trade allows a producer to possibly reduce the cost of production, lower production costs should mean more and/or better paying jobs. Cap and trade isn't likely to do that because of the insane idea that the profits of speculators(erroneously refereed to a business owners) trading piece of paper or the digital equivalent are the most important part of the business model. Many, if not most successful business person will tell you that the owner is third in importance, customer being one, good employees second.

I'd guess you would tell us those young persons that mindlessly jump on the conservative bandwagon aren't succumbing to peer pressure. Then again you really don't have problem with peer pressure do you? You characterized Emma as an embarrassment to her school. Peer pressure is required for anyone to become an embarrassment to anyone or anything over something as trivial as saying one of the governing elite sucks.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Brownbacks's office was reaching out to a young person his in his State, only in your fiction. The only thing that the reference article says about the staff is that they monitor social media for mention of Brownback, no mention of the staff contacting Emma or her school. I suppose as the school became involved, it would be safe the staff did contact the school, but that sounds more like vindictive action, not reaching out, particularly there was no threat with the tweet.In the event Emma was immature it appears one or more of the staff was as well Unless you forgotten twitter posts are limited to 140 characters, not allowing for long commentary.
News to me that the Republican territory of Kansas is doing well economically. Cap and trade isn't likely reduce emissions, but it is a capitalist free market approach, and evidently has been in place for some pollutants for some time. Cap and trade allows a producer to possibly reduce the cost of production, lower production costs should mean more and/or better paying jobs. Cap and trade isn't likely to do that because of the insane idea that the profits of speculators(erroneously refereed to a business owners) trading piece of paper or the digital equivalent are the most important part of the business model. Many, if not most successful business person will tell you that the owner is third in importance, customer being one, good employees second.

I'd guess you would tell us those young persons that mindlessly jump on the conservative bandwagon aren't succumbing to peer pressure. Then again you really don't have problem with peer pressure do you? You characterized Emma as an embarrassment to her school. Peer pressure is required for anyone to become an embarrassment to anyone or anything over something as trivial as saying one of the governing elite sucks.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 PM

As best as I can tell cap and trade isn't a new idea, and has been used with other polluting emissions, although I'm unsure how well it does in reducing emissions, but it doesn't look to be an economic disaster either . Hard to wrap one's mind around cap and trade, so it good for making political hay. I have seen one explanation that explained it well but I can no longer locate it

Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvlman View Post
As best as I can tell cap and trade isn't a new idea, and has been used with other polluting emissions, although I'm unsure how well it does in reducing emissions, but it doesn't look to be an economic disaster either . Hard to wrap one's mind around cap and trade, so it good for making political hay. I have seen one explanation that explained it well but I can no longer locate it
The RGGI system which is cap and trade has worked well in the Northeast and has created lots of jobs. The biggest problem is that all the nasty pollutants from the Midwest blow over to the east via the jet stream. The Midwest has old coal plants grandfathered into the system and doesn't want to change how they do things at all. It was only because of the CLEAN AIR ACT that acid rain was brought under control in areas of the Midwest and New England- whch receives much of the downwind pollution due to the position of the jet stream.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:45 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Looks from here that Brownback is creating his personally loyal Brownshirts monitoring critical citizens for eventual punishment. Not surprising.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:20 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Looks from here that Brownback is creating his personally loyal Brownshirts monitoring critical citizens for eventual punishment. Not surprising.
Command and control. He wants to take the state back to the early 20th century with Koch (big buisness interests) controlling everything with little noise from the middle class. It's no wonder why everyone who can leave Kansas does...

Old 12-23-2011, 05:30 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Command and control. He wants to take the state back to the early 20th century with Koch (big buisness interests) controlling everything with little noise from the middle class. It's no wonder why everyone who can leave Kansas does...
What does this mean? What would having Koch (and big-business interests) "controlling everything" entail in regard to state government and Kansas? What "noise" from the middle class might be supressed? What middle-class interests might be squandared?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas