Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,817,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Don't assume all the Hispanic people in SW Kansas are illegal. I know Hispanic people from Garden City whose families have been there for generations, and they're very legal citizens! There is also a large Asian community in GC (I think mostly Vietnamese) and I doubt they're illegally there.
Correct. Not all Hispanics are here illegally. However it is a fairly safe bet that IF you see a Hispanic in a packing house town and he cannot speak, write or understand English he is almost certainly illegal.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 AM

216 posts, read 537,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Correct. Not all Hispanics are here illegally. However it is a fairly safe bet that IF you see a Hispanic in a packing house town and he cannot speak, write or understand English he is almost certainly illegal.

GL2
True - and they choose not to learn to speak English or assimilate into the American culture. Which can be frustrating since our schools are left to teach their kids everything.

I used to live in Garden City and lived around the corner from a kid who's parents had lived in Garden for 15-20 years and never learned English. This kid was the family interpreter anytime the family needed to do business with English speaking businesses (the bank, car dealership, grocery store, etc).

Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM

12,881 posts, read 13,546,698 times
One of the reasons many immigrants don't speak English is they work jobs that don't require reading or writing. A friend of mine was going to try an teach an immigrant how to speak English when she discovered the immigrant couldn't read Spanish. They come from impoverished situations in South America and many are happy just to see their children reading and writing English.

I heard the meat industry decided a while back that it was cheaper to teach a bunch of people to make one cut on an animal carcass as it goes down the line rather than pay one skilled union butcher to process the animal alone.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,752,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
It is due to the stockyards and meat packing plants, which have awful, low paying jobs which right now mostly only Hispanics are willing to take.

I would like to take every 4th grader in America to tour the stockyards of Garden City, Kansas. Then we'd see how many Americans still would eat at McDonalds.
Right you are except that those jobs didn't use to be low paying jobs like they are now. Illegals have ruined those jobs and pay like they have the construction jobs and restaurant jobs and etc.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,817,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
It is due to the stockyards and meat packing plants, which have awful, low paying jobs which right now mostly only Hispanics are willing to take.

I would like to take every 4th grader in America to tour the stockyards of Garden City, Kansas. Then we'd see how many Americans still would eat at McDonalds.
Packing house jobs were among some of the highest paying blue collar jobs in the Middle part of the United States up until the early 1980's when greedy employers found they could cut their labor cost in half by importing illegals from South of the border.

I put myself through college working in a beef packing house. After working in a laboratory one summer I decided I did not want to spend the next forty years working in the area of biology and chemistry. After dropping out of college, a few hours shy of my B.S, I continued working in the packing house until I had saved enough money to start my own business.

Now packing house work is just a step above minimum wage. Thanks to employers willing to break immigration laws.

As far as your squeamishness about the whole process of turning a critter in to food for the table you have the option of becoming a vegetarian.

GL2

Old 01-01-2012, 05:17 AM

767 posts, read 1,308,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterneratheart View Post
There has always been a Hispanic presence in Salina because of the railroad. I know of no trailer park in Salina I would term "deplorable" in the scheme of things.
Oh but some of them are and just because they look nice from the outside doesn't mean they are decent inside. Salina's crime rate is way worse then SW Kansas on most years and you would be surprised on how many people in this states trailer parks pay little to nothing because after so many years Kansas values manufacturer housing as being worth 0$ hence why Garden City and Dodge City and Hutchinson have been on a trailer condemning spree.

Quote:

GL2
While this can be true just because someone doesn't know the language of the country they move to doesn't make them illegal by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc130radio View Post
I used to live in Garden City and lived around the corner from a kid who's parents had lived in Garden for 15-20 years and never learned English. This kid was the family interpreter anytime the family needed to do business with English speaking businesses (the bank, car dealership, grocery store, etc).
This is also true and it never ends for some. I see families whose learned English while going to school but they never bother to teach their kids so they send their kids into school knowing little to no English just because the parents refuse to do it themselves. On the flip side I know a Burmese girl who is actually teaching her parents English so they can function better on their own once she goes off to college at KU after being in the US only for 5 years. Some of the Somalian children are great full and help their parents, but I don't know much about them as I never seem to run into them anymore. I also noticed that the El Salvadorian population seems to be pretty hard working in adapting to the US and have found both the adults and kids to be very friendly and polite people even when they don't speak English. Also the Legal Hispanics and the long time residents really don't like the Illegals for giving them a bad rep and do shun them to an extent in certain ways.

Quote:
Packing house jobs were among some of the highest paying blue collar jobs in the Middle part of the United States up until the early 1980's when greedy employers found they could cut their labor cost in half by importing illegals from South of the border.

I put myself through college working in a beef packing house. After working in a laboratory one summer I decided I did not want to spend the next forty years working in the area of biology and chemistry. After dropping out of college, a few hours shy of my B.S, I continued working in the packing house until I had saved enough money to start my own business.

Now packing house work is just a step above minimum wage. Thanks to employers willing to break immigration laws.

As far as your squeamishness about the whole process of turning a critter in to food for the table you have the option of becoming a vegetarian.

GL2
Actually packing plants had to cut waged to stay competitive price wise with foreign countries. This lead to only unskilled workers wanting (pretty much no other choice) to do the hard labor for little pay and the companies having to import foreign labor who would accept the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Don't assume all the Hispanic people in SW Kansas are illegal. I know Hispanic people from Garden City whose families have been there for generations, and they're very legal citizens! There is also a large Asian community in GC (I think mostly Vietnamese) and I doubt they're illegally there.
This is very true I had a Mexican friend whose family hasn't spoke Spanish since the 1930's when they were working as farm help and later at the sugar beat factory. Infact many near by SE Colorado towns have proud Hispanic heritage that goes way back. The Asians (Mostly Vietnamese with some Burmese, Korean, and Cambodian) mostly came in the 80's and most of the ones who are left own businesses and own nice houses. The Somalians are a different story and I don't know what to say about them, but I have been seeing less so maybe the fact that SW kansas won't give them everything they demand is making some move on.

Not that this matters or anyone cares, but you have to remember that Kansas as a whole has gotten a large number of the Mennonites from Mexico who come in not knowing how to speak English and put strain on many of the smaller community schools like Copeland, Tribune, and Leoti. Also why do people always attack Garden City when anyone who lives in Western Kansas knows that things are much worse in the other two in terms of housing conditions, poverty, and violence? City data doesn't always have every stat correct. Also a study was done on USD 457 a year ago and the languages that students speak in the district included: Russian, German, English, Ancient Mayan, Spanish, 2 types of German, Several African Dialects, Vietnamese, Burmese, Mandarin Chinese, and a few other odd European languages I can't remember at the moment.

Last edited by empires228; 01-01-2012 at 05:42 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
If there are "Just pockets of Hispanics" in Wichita,KC just wait a very few years and they'll be half of the population as in SW KS.and more than half as in California,Texas,NM,Arizona,Colo.!!!
I believe that the Hispanics are the fastest growing race in Wichita,KC,Salina and the US!!
What is to stop them?
The Mexicans birth rate is more than twice what the white race is plus uncontroled illegal immigration!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas