U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,682,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Ever heard of the Mississippi Delta? It's not in Iowa. Neither is the Kaw Valley. Its in Kansas, and its soil is among the best in the world. In fact, Kansas is in general has exceptional soil, excellent growing weather, and with a few small regional exceptions, has remarkably wonderful, loamy soil, because it was the bottom of a sea for a very long time.
Kansas is at the periphery of the Midwest with a marginal climate with lower average precipitation so wheat is widely grown. Much of the corn in the western half of the state is irrigated to support the massive commercial agricultural feedlot, slaughterhouse, and packing plant conglomerates. The vast majority of the core of the Midwest does not irrigate ag land at all. It does grow lots of GMO corn and soybeans. I've been doing some research and can't believe the proliferation of GMOs.You can thank Monsanto for that. I buy, grow, and eat locally. It's more expensive but much healthier.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:29 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,453,070 times
When my husband's Mom passed away the funeral was held in Orange Co. (Where she lived for many years.)...My word! Everyone came dressed in their designer clothes and drove-up in their finest cars..It was all about "showing-off!" We came in my son's Honda Civic. (It was a few years "old" at that time but still "nice!") But I'm sure that it was regarded as a "joke."...My husband came to pay tribute to his Mother and say "goodbye." Unfortunately she sort of got lost in the shuffle...It was more of a social-event where people bragged and boasted about their stock holdings or latest vacations etc...I've been to a few other "show-off" type of funerals like this in So CA. (Where the person who died seems inconsequential.) No more!...I'm ready for a completely different lifestyle where everything isn't centered around "showing-off!"

Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 AM

319 posts, read 287,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas is at the periphery of the Midwest with a marginal climate with lower average precipitation so wheat is widely grown. Much of the corn in the western half of the state is irrigated to support the massive commercial agricultural feedlot, slaughterhouse, and packing plant conglomerates. The vast majority of the core of the Midwest does not irrigate ag land at all.
Its true, there may be pockets of fertile ground elsewhere, but there is a reason that the Corn Belt is where it is.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Why would you call the culture war "imagined"?

This San Francisco - World Naked Bike Ride (WNBR) - Wiki information site is what the streets of San Francisco look like today. And in San Francisco that means a day like many, many others.

This is what the people of Kansas have successfully kept at a safe distance from their communities and their children. And it is just one example of why the culture war is anything but imagined. This is what will infect Kansas and any other state that lets down their guard.

Today's fight for the preservation of safe and wholesome communities suitable for young families is as important as any battle this nation has ever fought.
Santorum won the Kansas caucuses. That tells me all I need to know about the current state of politics there. It has been revealed that Santorum does not believe in the separation of church and state either. Brownback and Santorum are both molded out of the same big government social conservative platform.

Another quote I found:
"In Santorum's 2005 book, "It Takes a Family" he famously came out against women working outside of the home. He wrote, "It provides a convenient rationalization for pursuing a gratifying career outside the home." Yes, he blamed radical feminism. And he quickly lost his senate seat by 17 points."

Last edited by GraniteStater; 03-11-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM

GraniteSlater..Most of my relatives in Kansas are Democrats or Independents. (But there are a few Conservatives too.)...They don't like all the silly games that go on in the political arena today. (Within the state and in Congress too.)

Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
GraniteSlater..Most of my relatives in Kansas are Democrats or Independents. (But there are a few Conservatives too.)...They don't like all the silly games that go on in the political arena today. (Within the state and in Congress too.)
I am a former Kansan and agree with you

Old 03-11-2012, 11:29 AM

697 posts, read 394,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Its true, there may be pockets of fertile ground elsewhere, but there is a reason that the Corn Belt is where it is.
Yes, but "where corn grows best" and "where its colder and rainier than Kansas" aren't really how one determines quality of soil. The best soils in the world are nearly universally in alluvial valleys. Kansas history as a shallow sea-bed makes it's soil very similar to alluvial soil across the entire state.

And it's "mariginal climate" is just Granite Stater's code word for "it gets too hot for my tastes". Which is fine. I happen to agree. I would much prefer the climate of Northern Iowa and Minnesota to that of Kansas. But I'm not a plant.

So, instead of just expressing his personal preference for a certain climate, he attempts to couch his argument and his pervasive dislike of Kansas in ridiculous arguments of the sort no one who has ever grown food or farmed would make, like the idea that a longer warm season is worse for growing plants, or that good soil is somehow a function of where a single, arbitrarily chosen grain grows best.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM

350 posts, read 302,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yes, but "where corn grows best" and "where its colder and rainier than Kansas" aren't really how one determines quality of soil. The best soils in the world are nearly universally in alluvial valleys. Kansas history as a shallow sea-bed makes it's soil very similar to alluvial soil across the entire state.

And it's "mariginal climate" is just Granite Stater's code word for "it gets too hot for my tastes". Which is fine. I happen to agree. I would much prefer the climate of Northern Iowa and Minnesota to that of Kansas. But I'm not a plant.

So, instead of just expressing his personal preference for a certain climate, he attempts to couch his argument and his pervasive dislike of Kansas in ridiculous arguments of the sort no one who has ever grown food or farmed would make, like the idea that a longer warm season is worse for growing plants, or that good soil is somehow a function of where a single, arbitrarily chosen grain grows best.
I wouldn't worry I don't think he likes the Plains in general. It is insulting though to have him come on and continually trash the region. Kind of makes one not want to post on here.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 PM

GraniteSlater..Do you ever miss living in Kansas? I miss being in Kansas right now. Hope to move to Western Kansas (near relatives) before too long if all goes well...My Dad left Kansas and moved to So CA as a young man. He went to work in LA packing houses. Before long he met and married my Mom and created a new life for himself in CA. But Kansas lived on inside of him. On weekends my parents took me on rides out in the country so I could see food growing and farm animals and have some connection with nature...This probably made me a little different from my friends in So CA. I didn't want to see every inch and square of land "developed" in CA. I wanted to leave some land "untouched" for future generations to enjoy. I don't like to live in side-by-side cities with asphalt and concrete and stucco as far as the eye can see with no "break" or "breathers" in-between...Where do you live now? I live in the desert with space between cities but there is very little community spirit around here.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
I wouldn't worry I don't think he likes the Plains in general. It is insulting though to have him come on and continually trash the region. Kind of makes one not want to post on here.
That isn't the case at all and you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas