U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 PM

809 posts, read 1,071,074 times
Clothing is a big plus in my book too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I have the same opinion. You get more than about three people per square mile in an area and we're over my limit. lol
I can usually tolerate a few more than that because I can't see most of them from my house. In KS, if you have 36 people per square mile, you might be able to see them all, right? Though you'll need a spotting scope to tell what the most distant ones are doing.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,855,838 times
Quote:
In KS, if you have 36 people per square mile, you might be able to see them all, right?
Not in my corner. We have these weird things called "hills."
Big ones, even.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 PM

809 posts, read 1,071,074 times
Yeah, I saw those in the picture thread. Looks nice. I was just yanking your chain about being able to see everybody.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM

15,194 posts, read 20,727,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I'm glad we have diversity in this country. I'm sorry you don't like it. With the strong liberal/urban (or whatever) rhetoric against settling down and getting married, etc., I think doing so is actually becoming non-conforming, unless you just consider being human conforming.
With the way the economy is THESE DAYS I enjoy having the mobility to travel and move anywhere I want to. Others like to settle down and stay in one place their entire lives. That is fine for them.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 AM

50 posts, read 69,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
It's true. A comedian said that "the middle of the country is for people who give up on their dreams" and I can't wait to get out of here. People are only here if they were born here or for their jobs. Kansas is a terrible state compared to everywhere else. It's dull, lifeless, and everyones ego here is to the floor. They say, "Why are you here?", like it's a bad thing. I bet you've been in Kansas your entire life so you shouldn't be talking.

modcut- inflamatory
Well, if a comedian said it then it must be true. If you don't like Kansas your more than welcome to leave...........it's a free country.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 AM

69 posts, read 82,668 times
You don't have to love Kansas but you shall at least respect it.

A lot of good things come out of Kansas.

Everyday people from across the country will eat Kansas food, fly Kansas airplanes, talk over Kansas telecom or fill their tanks with Kansas gas. People also don't turn down Kansas brains, Kansas girls, or Kansas money. People live and breathe Kansas without knowing it.

90% of the state's land is under agricultural production. Kansas is #1 for wheat and #3 for cattle.

Who's the richest man in New York? A Kansan.

What's America's largest private corporation? A Kansas conglomerate.

In 2000, Johnson County's median household income was $70K like in San Mateo County (Atherton, Menlo Park, Hillsborough, Woodside).

It doesn't invalidate your points. The natural landscape in Kansas is what it is, and the Midwestern culture is also what it is.

Please show some respect for Kansas though.

BTW, I'm not from Kansas.

Last edited by PierreWY; 02-28-2012 at 05:43 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 PM

350 posts, read 329,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreWY View Post
You don't have to love Kansas but you shall at least respect it...

It doesn't invalidate your points. The natural landscape in Kansas is what it is, and the Midwestern culture is also what it is.

Please show some respect for Kansas though.

BTW, I'm not from Kansas.
I agree Granite Stater's disdain for Kansas is readily apparent on this forum. Its nice to hear when people actually like the rolling hills and open space and even the flat land! State bashing is not appreciated anywhere. I wouldn't go on the NH forum and tell them that I don't like their libertarianism, feeling drowned out by all the trees, overpopulation of the state, New England reserve/lack of friendliness, and pushy/fast-paced Northeast vibe. Not everyone is going to agree with Granite Stater but the wrong thing is to go on someone else's forum and complain about the state.

I think there is some self-esteem issues in Kansas just like there is on the Nebraska forum or a lot of the Midwestern states. And it is probably because of people like Granite Stater and the media that thinks "you live in Kansas?!? - OH" or "what is there to do there" or "it must be so boring and flat".

Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
I agree Granite Stater's disdain for Kansas is readily apparent on this forum. Its nice to hear when people actually like the rolling hills and open space and even the flat land! State bashing is not appreciated anywhere. I wouldn't go on the NH forum and tell them that I don't like their libertarianism, feeling drowned out by all the trees, overpopulation of the state, New England reserve/lack of friendliness, and pushy/fast-paced Northeast vibe. Not everyone is going to agree with Granite Stater but the wrong thing is to go on someone else's forum and complain about the state.

I think there is some self-esteem issues in Kansas just like there is on the Nebraska forum or a lot of the Midwestern states. And it is probably because of people like Granite Stater and the media that thinks "you live in Kansas?!? - OH" or "what is there to do there" or "it must be so boring and flat".
You misinterpreted my statements. I don't really have any problem with NE Kansas and a few other parts of the state. I would prefer to be near Lawrence or the surrounding smaller communities if given the choice.
I lived there for well over 20 years so I am entitled to my opinions with regard to the social culture and job opportunities there. The biggest downfall that Kansas has facing it right now is the loss of family farms and the huge transformation to the big corporate farming model that is allied with the likes of Monsanto and Cargill. The whole GMO foods issue is bothersome to me as well since I have a whole host of food allergies now compared to 10-15 years ago.

"I wouldn't go on the NH forum and tell them that I don't like their libertarianism, feeling drowned out by all the trees, overpopulation of the state,"

NH is a purple state with a mixture of moderates, conservatives, and liberals. NH is a small government state that is ranked #6 for being business friendly and has one of the lowest tax burdens in the country. No income or sales tax. Trees are great and they sequester tons of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere- levels that are increasing at a fast rate. I appreciate not being able to see any of my neighbors and having less wind to deal with, so I'm not going to deny that. Overpopulation? By Nebraska standards I would agree. Our state has around 140 people per square mile as a state average. I grew up in JOCO with a population density of over 1,100 people per square mile as of 2010. Most places feel more rural to me by comparison which is a good thing.

"New England reserve/lack of friendliness, and pushy/fast-paced Northeast vibe."

Uh, New England and the Midwest both have a certain level of reserve and I appreciate that. I don't appreciate having strangers asking me prying questions as that wouldn't be proper social etiquette. Fast paced- that would be a big no. I live in a smaller town and is certainly not fast-paced in the least. You must be thinking about the I-95 corridor. Look at the population densities of Coos, Grafton, and Carroll counties. All are less than 51 people per square mile with large tracts of 0 per square mile on national forest lands.

"I think there is some self-esteem issues in Kansas just like there is on the Nebraska forum or a lot of the Midwestern states. And it is probably because of people like Granite Stater and the media that thinks "you live in Kansas?!? - OH" or "what is there to do there" or "it must be so boring and flat"

I have no problems with living in the Midwest. I would just choose to live in states like Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa, mainly due to the climate and more moderate politics. I have no problem with the topography of most of NE Kansas either. Kansas has a systemic issue with retaining younger educated people in the state outside of JOCO and everyone knows it. As a rural state, the job base is small and centralized like many of its peers.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 PM

506 posts, read 529,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have no problems with living in the Midwest. I would just choose to live in states like Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa, mainly due to the climate and more moderate politics. I have no problem with the topography of most of NE Kansas either. Kansas has a systemic issue with retaining younger educated people in the state outside of JOCO and everyone knows it. As a rural state, the job base is small and centralized like many of its peers.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-12.pdf

This is a problem for almost all rural states. NH and KS posted similar figures for the outmigration of young professionals. The difference is that NH had overall inmigration (retirees?)

I wish I had post-recession data, but I don't.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-12.pdf

This is a problem for almost all rural states. NH and KS posted similar figures for the outmigration of young professionals. The difference is that NH had overall inmigration (retirees?)

I wish I had post-recession data, but I don't.
It is true that NH does have a retention issue with college educated career oriented individuals. Once again that is an issue with the low population density and the lack of specialized career opportunities in many places. The big difference for southern NH is that the 128 tech corridor in MA as well as a multitude of other high paying jobs exist nearby within easy commuting distance. Many work in MA and live in NH; therefore population density in most of southern NH is more suburban.

"The difference is that NH had overall inmigration (retirees?)"

NH attracts retirees to many towns in the "Lakes Region." So, it does gain retirees along with an "aging in place" populace. Kansas has mostly an "aging in place" populace.

A big difference exists in terms of political orientation as NH Republicans are very much alligned with fiscally conservative issues and keeping spending levels low while KS Republicans are much more alligned with socially conservative issues.

"http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-12.pdf[/url]"

Yes, the 2011 population data just came out as well and NH has extremely slow growth right now- much of that attributable to the high average age of the populace with a slightly higher out-migration rate. NH loses retirees in a number of towns in the state due to property tax burden which directly impacts cost of living. The Lakes Region has much lower property tax rates so it tends to be more of an outlier due to the seasonal properties along the lake raking in massive property taxes to the town coffers, therefore the equalized rate is lower overall. General state revenue is funded 70% through property taxes, the highest rate in the country. The lack of an income or sales tax makes the state business friendly regionally and nationally, though. The LLC growth in small businesses is very strong in the state which is good.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-28-2012 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas