Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,208,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think it has something to do with how much of the sky is visible.
I think that's probably it, actually. I hate not being able to SEE! lol

Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
You seem very bitter.

I grew up In NY, Only lived in KS 9 years, Moved out of there 5 years ago, but am Moving back In June... I can't wait....

And I'm not giving up my dreams...

Oh and I've lived in A few other states, KS is not one of the worse states, Trust me... There's worse states...
Well, it is true that NE Kansas isn't too bad overall if you had a choice to pick a region of the state. SW Kansas isn't as nice, but it should be compared more to Oklahoma or Texas anyway..

Oh that's right I think you mentioned you're living in Ohio I will agree that Ohio has some major issues.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 AM

77,734 posts, read 59,858,282 times
I'm pretty much done with this forum.

Just keep bashing the state. I like it here.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 AM

817 posts, read 2,182,621 times
I wouldn't take it personal, Mathguy. You can go to most any state forum on City Data and find people who love that state and people who hate it. It's just differing opinions on what they consider beautiful and comfortable. Personally, I'm glad that so many find rural areas too boring, or it would get way too crowded for my taste.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 AM

199 posts, read 419,164 times
It's not for everyone.. anyone who longs for mountains, scenic lakes, and a varied topography wouldn't feel very enamored with Kansas. A few hills here and there, near Eureka and Medicine Hat, but much of the state is very unvaried, flat, open, spacious. Those needing the activities and busyness of a city will find Wichita lacking (it feels much smaller than it is, I would say downtown Sioux Falls or Syracuse are about as active as Wichita, and they are 1/2th the size, Syracuse less), and no other city in Kansas comes anywhere close to that level of metropolitanism. Those near Kansas City have an escape across the river in Missouri, and in the extreme southeast of the state they have the Ozarks an hour away, but for much of the state, varied opportunities for excursion are lacking.

I would say the locals live in a very friendly state, they've embraced farming culture, college basketball, and small town Americana. It is what it is, the topography leaves few options that Mother Nature will offer, and the towns generally too small to develop man-made diversions as Dallas-Fort Worth has done. For some, it's spacious paradise. For others, endless isolation. You'll seldom convert one viewer to the other.

I noticed the NH resident received a questioned brow raised, so despite my current address, I'm also a former Kansas resident, occasionally in state on business.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I wouldn't take it personal, Mathguy. You can go to most any state forum on City Data and find people who love that state and people who hate it. It's just differing opinions on what they consider beautiful and comfortable. Personally, I'm glad that so many find rural areas too boring, or it would get way too crowded for my taste.
I have the same opinion. You get more than about three people per square mile in an area and we're over my limit. lol

And I also agree that you can go to any of the state forums and find complaints. Shoot one of Nebraska's oldest, and most active threads has been "What's the worst town in Nebraska?"

Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 AM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYisontop View Post
I noticed the NH resident received a questioned brow raised, so despite my current address, I'm also a former Kansas resident, occasionally in state on business.
I am a former Kansas resident as well. I've lived all over the country for employment. It is natural for most people to desire to move to other locales, particularly when younger. The Kansas City metropolitan area has the best retention rate of people in general and has a stronger in-migration ratio of individuals from outside the area. Most of the rest of Kansas continues to deal with out-migration of people with the exception of a few areas. Because KS is a lower COL people are able to save and move elsewhere at rates higher than the national average. Job security and lower cost of living are very important to many people right now, and places like Johnson County, KS offer desirable attributes that quite a number of people are looking for! On the flip side of the coin, the social culture is generally very conformist with most "settling down" and getting married or having kids at younger ages than the national average. The topography, natural features, and climate can't be helped. Those attributes are already known.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,924,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am a former Kansas resident as well. I've lived all over the country for employment. It is natural for most people to desire to move to other locales, particularly when younger. The Kansas City metropolitan area has the best retention rate of people in general and has a stronger in-migration ratio of individuals from outside the area. Most of the rest of Kansas continues to deal with out-migration of people with the exception of a few areas. Because KS is a lower COL people are able to save and move elsewhere at rates higher than the national average. Job security and lower cost of living are very important to many people right now, and places like Johnson County, KS offer desirable attributes that quite a number of people are looking for! On the flip side of the coin, the social culture is generally very conformist with most "settling down" and getting married or having kids at younger ages than the national average. The topography, natural features, and climate can't be helped. Those attributes are already known.
I'm glad we have diversity in this country. I'm sorry you don't like it. With the strong liberal/urban (or whatever) rhetoric against settling down and getting married, etc., I think doing so is actually becoming non-conforming, unless you just consider being human conforming.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Yeah, I felt just a touch of patronization in that post. lol

Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,632,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I'm glad we have diversity in this country. I'm sorry you don't like it. With the strong liberal/urban (or whatever) rhetoric against settling down and getting married, etc., I think doing so is actually becoming non-conforming, unless you just consider being human conforming.
Indeed so. And isn't nice that not everyone feels the need to conform to last year's non-conformist - but today's hip and trendy - thinking and living?

Personally, I'm grateful for the non-conformists in San Francisco that are always clothed in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas