Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times

Advertisements

CrownVic95...In teenage movies a lot of the popular kids make fun of other kids in their school. (Overweight kids, poor kids, "nerdy" and smart kids etc.)...This never made any sense to me because the popular kids seem to "have it all!" (Good looks, money, nice homes and cars and plenty of dates!)...Why in the world do these kids "with everything" need to "pick" on other kids and "put them down?"...When I run into people who make fun of rural life or small town life they remind me of the popular kids in the teenage movies who act like "bullies."...When my husband's daughter (and family) decided to move to Tennessee they became the target of ridicule and the "butt" of "jokes" in the family. My stepdaughter's husband had a high-tech job waiting for him in Tennessee. (Jobs like this were hard to come by in So Ca at the time.)...My stepdaughter had to deal with crude and insensitive remarks like: "Ha ha! Are you going to raise chickens in Tennessee? Are you going to live in a trailer? Ha ha!"...We heard this go on at a family get-together in Orange County right before they were set to move. And this was the last time we ever went to any family functions (at all) after that!....This kind of "stuff" goes on too much. (Not just in our family either.) What makes people so mean and cruel and insensitive? Why all the bullying? When did it become okay to make fun of other people's lifestyle and choices in life?...Thanks for your post and "thumbs-up!"

Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Not much of an agronomist are you?
Ya, the soils in Iowa are so much poorer than southern KS.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
CrownVic95...In teenage movies a lot of the popular kids make fun of other kids in their school. (Overweight kids, poor kids, "nerdy" and smart kids etc.)...This never made any sense to me because the popular kids seem to "have it all!" (Good looks, money, nice homes and cars and plenty of dates!)...Why in the world do these kids "with everything" need to "pick" on other kids and "put them down?"...When I run into people who make fun of rural life or small town life they remind me of the popular kids in the teenage movies who act like "bullies."...When my husband's daughter (and family) decided to move to Tennessee they became the target of ridicule and the "butt" of "jokes" in the family. My stepdaughter's husband had a high-tech job waiting for him in Tennessee. (Jobs like this were hard to come by in So Ca at the time.)...My stepdaughter had to deal with crude and insensitive remarks like: "Ha ha! Are you going to raise chickens in Tennessee? Are you going to live in a trailer? Ha ha!"...We heard this go on at a family get-together in Orange County right before they were set to move. And this was the last time we ever went to any family functions (at all) after that!....This kind of "stuff" goes on too much. (Not just in our family either.) What makes people so mean and cruel and insensitive? Why all the bullying? When did it become okay to make fun of other people's lifestyle and choices in life?...Thanks for your post and "thumbs-up!"
I grew up in southern California, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Move to Tennessee?!? To do what? Marry your cousin? Har har. As you and I both know, it's just ignorance. Truth be told, if I hadn't of left, I would have thought that everywhere outside of southern California was a backwater too. I'm so glad I left and got to see this great country for myself. What a wonderful land we have... truly. We are very blessed.

Had the Army not brought me to Kansas, I would have never experienced the great plains. I'm so glad I have. This place truly has some of the best, finest people I have met. That sounds like such a cliche or a throw-away, just-say-it-be-nice comment, but I really mean it. Kansans are truly rich in spirit. I don't think they realize what gems they are.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I grew up in southern California, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Move to Tennessee?!? To do what? Marry your cousin? Har har. As you and I both know, it's just ignorance. Truth be told, if I hadn't of left, I would have thought that everywhere outside of southern California was a backwater too. I'm so glad I left and got to see this great country for myself. What a wonderful land we have... truly. We are very blessed.

Had the Army not brought me to Kansas, I would have never experienced the great plains. I'm so glad I have. This place truly has some of the best, finest people I have met. That sounds like such a cliche or a throw-away, just-say-it-be-nice comment, but I really mean it. Kansans are truly rich in spirit. I don't think they realize what gems they are.
Tennessee isn't bad if you live in the nicer parts of its metros- preferably Nashville. It's the rural areas that really give the state a bad reputation. Places like La Folette, Newport, Sneedville, etc.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Tennessee isn't bad if you live in the nicer parts of its metros- preferably Nashville. It's the rural areas that really give the state a bad reputation. Places like La Folette, Newport, Sneedville, etc.
My in-laws live in Nashville. I know it well. I also take day trips to Chattanooga quite a bit. Nice place. I'm sure Tennessee is rougher outside of its metro areas. But then, this place isn't exactly the height of sophistication. Needles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-10-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
My in-laws live in Nashville. I know it well. I also take day trips to Chattanooga quite a bit. Nice place. I'm sure Tennessee is rougher outside of its metro areas. But then, this place isn't exactly the height of sophistication. Needles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, the very low educational attainment and persistent poverty in many areas of rural Tennessee are major issues, and the improvements have been enormously slow- even with a more technologically connected populace that has access to more educational resources.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Well, the very low educational attainment and persistent poverty in many areas of rural Tennessee are major issues, and the improvements have been enormously slow- even with a more technologically connected populace that has access to more educational resources.
I'll give you that, granite. What you may or may not know is that there are a lot of people who live in Orange County, Calif. who are sure they are living a life far superior to those in Tennessee. If they actually went to see for themselves how folks are living out there (in Nashville..I'm talking metro areas), they'd cry and realize they've been had. (Life in socal can be far more grimy than most realize.) Most I know who did venture out far beyond socal to places they previously thought of hicksvilles went back to socal only long enough to sell their houses, tie up loose ends, and hightail it out of there for more favorable climes.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
Ya, the soils in Iowa are so much poorer than southern KS.
Ever heard of the Mississippi Delta? It's not in Iowa. Neither is the Kaw Valley. Its in Kansas, and its soil is among the best in the world. In fact, Kansas is in general has exceptional soil, excellent growing weather, and with a few small regional exceptions, has remarkably wonderful, loamy soil, because it was the bottom of a sea for a very long time.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I'll give you that, granite. What you may or may not know is that there are a lot of people who live in Orange County, Calif. who are sure they are living a life far superior to those in Tennessee. If they actually went to see for themselves how folks are living out there (in Nashville..I'm talking metro areas), they'd cry and realize they've been had. (Life in socal can be far more grimy than most realize.) Most I know who did venture out far beyond socal to places they previously thought of hicksvilles went back to socal only long enough to sell their houses, tie up loose ends, and hightail it out of there for more favorable climes.
Ya, Williamson county, TN has a much higher median household income than Orange county, CA. Orange county is way too crowded for my taste as is all of southern California. Brentwood and Franklin are upscale areas, but also friendlier than many other new money places I have visited.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
WestCobb...I'm glad you're so happy in Kansas. When I spent time with my cousin (and family) in Western Kansas I loved the way people waved at each other on the road or from their front porches. Wow! This meant the world to me and "warmed" my heart...Out here in the West it can be "dog-eat-dog" out on the road. People don't really feel "bonded" or "connected" to each other and this contributes to "road-rage." It's sad!...We all have our own preferences when it comes to our lifestyle and where we want to live. We're all different and unique! I don't expect everyone to be just like me and "want" what I "want."...Personally I want to be far away from the "rat race" and "stress" of big-city life! Lucky for me I'm not much of a shopper! So I don't need malls and big-box stores and duplicate chain outlets on every corner.. I'm a "down-home" kind of person even though I spent my earlier years in So CA. (Sounds like you are too!) Western Kansas reminds me me of what So CA was like "way back when" before everyone became status and image conscious! How do you feel about it? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas