U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:53 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,981,013 times

Advertisements

My brother and his family lived in Pittsburg for 3 years probably 6 years ago. I visited a few times, they hated living there and I can understand why. I'm generally not too harsh on places, but it was one of the worst cities I have been to. I agree, SE Kansas is the worst part of Kansas as far as liveability. NE Oklahoma is even worse, I had never heard of entire towns being condemned until I went there. It's a shame, the land is actually very pretty imo. The border areas of Missouri and Arkansas have trashy areas as well, but they seem to be cleaning up their act. This is all based on my personal experiences and observations, no hard facts.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-16-2015, 08:22 AM

758 posts, read 1,022,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
My brother and his family lived in Pittsburg for 3 years probably 6 years ago. I visited a few times, they hated living there and I can understand why. I'm generally not too harsh on places, but it was one of the worst cities I have been to. I agree, SE Kansas is the worst part of Kansas as far as liveability. NE Oklahoma is even worse, I had never heard of entire towns being condemned until I went there. It's a shame, the land is actually very pretty imo. The border areas of Missouri and Arkansas have trashy areas as well, but they seem to be cleaning up their act. This is all based on my personal experiences and observations, no hard facts.
I've heard nothing but positive things from friends, family, and college students I know living in Pittsburg. It definitely has more going on for it than Emporia and Hays! In my experience the real bad part of southeast Kansas are the parts south of US400. One of my friends interviewed for a teaching position in Columbus and considered not even showing up for the interview once he drove into town.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:42 PM

19,686 posts, read 16,265,808 times
Check out this map for the better choices in KS: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/up...abt=0002&abg=0

Drugs run up Hwy 69 and many of the towns reflect that "dynamic" and then it sort of spreads outward.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,310,135 times
Oh boy...I just found this thread. I lived in Coffeyville KS for 5 years.....and it is definitely not a safe place to live!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:52 PM

698 posts, read 495,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
You have described almost all of Kansas. Of all the states I have lived in this has to be one of the biggest armpit states. Its so sick. I was told in Wichita when I asked what there was to do " is there not enough shopping" Like shopping was all a person needed to enjoy life. LOL, I guess they have not heard of the beach, or mountains of which Kansas has neither. I was told but we have the flint hills. Which look like the land scape of post world war 1 scorched earth. LOL. Where the people come out and support the murder of Dr Tiller. The best sight I ever saw in Kansas was it in my rear view mirror as I left. I feel sorry for my family who stayed.
I have to agree about the Flint Hills, as a person new to Kansas missing the high desert and mountains of home I was told to check them out. They looked like landfills that had been capped and reclaimed, just small mounds of dirt covered with grass and weeds.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:01 PM

698 posts, read 495,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
LOL! I don't disagree with much of what you said, but some parts of the Flint Hills really are pretty in their own way.

This is kind of random and maybe should be in it's own thread (?), but I was reading an old thread on here about a parent with a household income of $150-200K discussing how she felt her kids were pressured by the rich kids in Johnson County to buy $150 prom dresses and $50 express shirts. This kind of surprised me, because where I grew up in SE Kansas, NO ONE had a household income anywhere close to even $150K, yet it was socially unacceptable to not wear expensive designer clothes or spend hundreds of dollars on a prom dress. It strikes me that maybe our culture was way more materialistic than I thought if someone who actually is wealthy ($150K is three times the medium household income in the US!) thinks those things are expensive and unnecessary.

When I think of it though, when I first moved to SE Kansas from SE Arizona in 4th grade, I was really taken aback when people pointed out that something must be wrong with me because I was wearing clothes from Walmart. That was not even a topic of discussion amongst the elementary kids I went to school with in Arizona....and many of my peers in AZ were legitimately wealthy.
I have found Kansas to be one of the most class conscious and snobby places that I have ever lived. And I spent quite a few years living in southern California and Scottsdale AZ, places notorious for this behavior. The people that live in northeast Wichita are far, far worse. I can only imagine what a kid goes through after hearing some of the crap the parents say about other people based on the clothes they wear, the cars they drive and which subdivision they live in.

It has been a massive culture shock for me and my spouse. The people in Wichita are some of the most hateful, mean spirited, judgmental people I have ever dealt with. I was expecting the stereotypical friendly Midwesterners and it is not like that at all.

Back on topic, the best thing I can say about SE Kansas is that it is not the Oklahoma panhandle region. Not a place anybody would want to live, IMO.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:17 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,310,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
I have found Kansas to be one of the most class conscious and snobby places that I have ever lived. And I spent quite a few years living in southern California and Scottsdale AZ, places notorious for this behavior. The people that live in northeast Wichita are far, far worse. I can only imagine what a kid goes through after hearing some of the crap the parents say about other people based on the clothes they wear, the cars they drive and which subdivision they live in.

It has been a massive culture shock for me and my spouse. The people in Wichita are some of the most hateful, mean spirited, judgmental people I have ever dealt with. I was expecting the stereotypical friendly Midwesterners and it is not like that at all.

Back on topic, the best thing I can say about SE Kansas is that it is not the Oklahoma panhandle region. Not a place anybody would want to live, IMO.

And the reasons you have mentioned are some of the main reasons I left Kansas in 2008.

"hateful, mean spirited, judgmental people I have ever dealt with".

I agree. I have lived in Paola, Coffeyville, and Manhattan KS. All total of 14 years. Jobs were low paying. People were mean and grumpy. And the weather was intolerable. So I finally figured out to leave. I have been in SC since 2008..very happily now I must say.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,627 times
Default Our Father who art in heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But that apparently won't stop you from doing your level best.
I don't understand how people are so filled with hate, we were given this life to love honor and obey our lord and find our way to heaven. Life is so much better when you finally realize that it is our choice how we live our lives, and we are the only ones that can change the things that are wrong. I realized this after almost ending my life in a auto accident, God wants his children to have and live a good life', it is that simple' we just cant understand, most of us have been programed from birth that life is hard and others are responciable for our hardships, that just is 'not true . we make choices every day that set our outlook for the day ,weeks , and months ahead. you are the one that is in charge of your life , we are not puppets and god does'nt want to control us, he wants for us to make our own minds up and decide to follow him and go to heaven, a lot of the world will never realize that life is good and meant to be enjoyed, instead satin wants us to be his puppets and follow him to hell, he uses our minds and desires to control us, he will trick you and lie to you , he will make you feel like life is hard or try to convince us that god makes bad things happen to us, My Father taught us that in every situation there is one good thing that comes from the situation, you just have to look for it until you find it, than you rember that one good thing when you think of that situation and it will help you have a more enjoyable life. I am here to tell you that it works, try it, what do you have to loose, you can gain a lifetime of enjoyment and help others understand how to do the same if you just try.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:41 AM

448 posts, read 443,932 times
after looking at the crime rate for Parsons on city data it dosent appear to be that bad, a little above averge.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:47 PM

2,276 posts, read 995,182 times
SE Kansas is like Appalachia without the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or