Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:00 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

I had a friend move recently to KS in recent years citing the additional kids they were having as reason for the move.

They said, "I can't pay 15k a year for three kids each to attend private school without considering moving." Which they did. (I'm not going to comment where they moved from because that's not the point of the thread)

I guess this is a great reason why people wish to move to KS?

Despite all the ignorant national rhetoric about teachers or blue\red states here we have one of the best public school systems in the country.

Even now, despite government changes, things still look pretty strong.

So, why does KS typically do so well vs. national averages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Maybe the schools changed, but being able to trace schools, a few and their graduates, prior to this century, the education they were receiving wasn't that impressive. Maybe in the wealthy areas of the state they do well, especially where a generous part of the budget isn't going for "English as a Second Language", but here, just a few blocks from the state teaching colleges, schools are rated very poorly. Each individual area, not even district, but neighborhoods within a city would have to be looked at in order to make a choice. If one can live in a wealthier neighborhood in the larger cities, I am sure they will find a highly rated school and this extends to all states that I know of.

I remember all too well when my older son was going to school..................

Old 02-04-2017, 10:09 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
As a product of Kansas education, I've been pretty happy with our education system. Most of the people I know that grew up here are doing well too. I wouldn't say Kansas is the best, but compared to our neighbors and the national average, we do seem to do well. The plains states and the upper Midwest have always seemed to standout from from the rest of the nation, in a good way. Kansas traditionally has funded education very well, just like our northern neighbors, especially relative to the south and inner west. In 2016 Kansas dropped its funding by about $1000 per student. Meanwhile Nebraska has increased their funding and N Dakota has increased their funding by a whopping $1100 per student. Not that money is everything, but the worst performing states are all states that spend the least on education. Kansas is a deep red state, but we're not shy about spending money where is counts, like education and infrastructure.

I have a nephew who went to a dual language magnet school and I was very impressed. I believe all the dual language schools in Kansas are English/Spanish, but there does exist other variations, but English is always one of the languages. Basically half the school day is in English and half in Spanish. The one here in Topeka has very good teachers. I haven't kept up with how it is doing, my brothers family moved to Denver last year for his military reassignment.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Maybe the schools changed, but being able to trace schools, a few and their graduates, prior to this century, the education they were receiving wasn't that impressive. Maybe in the wealthy areas of the state they do well, especially where a generous part of the budget isn't going for "English as a Second Language", but here, just a few blocks from the state teaching colleges, schools are rated very poorly. Each individual area, not even district, but neighborhoods within a city would have to be looked at in order to make a choice. If one can live in a wealthier neighborhood in the larger cities, I am sure they will find a highly rated school and this extends to all states that I know of.

I remember all too well when my older son was going to school..................
That sounds kinda "coded" racist. I guess that's consistent with the other info I have on Missouri like how many hate groups they have.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:07 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Right now, there is a teacher shortage in Kansas because the pay scale is so small.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Right now, there is a teacher shortage in Kansas because the pay scale is so small.
No, you misread the article you were reading. It said the exact opposite.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 AM

19,720 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No, you misread the article you were reading. It said the exact opposite.
Did not read an article. Read ads where schools are trying to find teachers. Kansas schools pay a lot less than Missouri and teachers are coming across the state line to teach.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:43 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Did not read an article. Read ads where schools are trying to find teachers. Kansas schools pay a lot less than Missouri and teachers are coming across the state line to teach.
This is from August 2016, but the most recent article I could find.

More teachers coming to Kansas than leaving, district data shows

"So is there actually a teacher shortage in Kansas? It appears so, even if there isn’t evidence of a dramatic increase in teachers leaving the state or the profession."

But then they go on to say...

"Though Kansas schools were able to fill 99 percent of jobs, the ones that remained vacant were clustered in a quarter of the state’s districts, affecting the children of southwest Kansas, Wichita and Kansas City, Kan., especially. In other words, high-poverty urban and remote rural schools reported the biggest problems."

The most recent information on teacher pay I could find is from 2013-2014 and I could see there being change in a negative way since then, but teachers making a lot less, I'm not sure about that.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Kansas starting pay $33K

Missouri starting pay $30K

But Missouri does have a higher average annual salary of about $100 more then Kansas.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
This is from August 2016, but the most recent article I could find.

More teachers coming to Kansas than leaving, district data shows

"So is there actually a teacher shortage in Kansas? It appears so, even if there isn’t evidence of a dramatic increase in teachers leaving the state or the profession."

But then they go on to say...

"Though Kansas schools were able to fill 99 percent of jobs, the ones that remained vacant were clustered in a quarter of the state’s districts, affecting the children of southwest Kansas, Wichita and Kansas City, Kan., especially. In other words, high-poverty urban and remote rural schools reported the biggest problems."

The most recent information on teacher pay I could find is from 2013-2014 and I could see there being change in a negative way since then, but teachers making a lot less, I'm not sure about that.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Kansas starting pay $33K

Missouri starting pay $30K

But Missouri does have a higher average annual salary of about $100 more then Kansas.
Facts Scmacts....they read an add and inferred all their claims from that using their vivid imagination and general axe grinding.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:00 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I had a friend move recently to KS in recent years citing the additional kids they were having as reason for the move.

They said, "I can't pay 15k a year for three kids each to attend private school without considering moving." Which they did. (I'm not going to comment where they moved from because that's not the point of the thread)

I guess this is a great reason why people wish to move to KS?

Despite all the ignorant national rhetoric about teachers or blue\red states here we have one of the best public school systems in the country.

Even now, despite government changes, things still look pretty strong.

So, why does KS typically do so well vs. national averages?
The real question - the question at the heart of the matter - is why are KS students so darn good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas