Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,208,816 times

Advertisements

That would be Big Ed's.
It's legendary.

HOWEVER, I would point out the head cook at Big Ed's recently opened her own place, the Skyline Grill in Benkelman, NE (north about 20 miles from Bird). Frankly I like Skyline better, but I think it's just because I like the layout of the restaurant itself better. Big Ed's is an old fashioned bar--one big open space with high ceilings. Skyline, having just been completed this fall, is much more intimate and restaurant-feeling, I guess.

There's also Park Hill in St. Francis, KS.
They make pseudo-Mexican food that is quite good. "Sopapillas" are their claim to fame and they are phenomenal. Basically Indian fry bread stuffed with meat/cheese/beans, etc. Served with honey and sour cream... (I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. lol)
There's Park Hill Too in Atwood, but I don't think it's quite as good, personally...

And in Wray, CO there's 4th and Main. It's an upscale bar-and-grill along the lines of an Applebees or Chilis or something but the menus are a bit more unique.
4th and Main Grille

I'll confess though, most of the time when we're just going to town for supper, we go up to the bar in Haigler, NE. lol We can feed our family of four a whole pile of burgers-and-fries type food for less than $20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:33 AM

4,166 posts, read 6,288,390 times
itsMeFred...Thanks for all the info and tips about restaurants in your area...Do you ever get over to the Colby and Oakley area?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Colby, occasionally (it's our nearest DMV, for example. lol) But otherwise, I just really have no reason to go that far east...

Old 03-08-2012, 06:29 PM

350 posts, read 844,168 times
Hm you have intrigued me with this restaurant in Wray. Burlington is lacking in the good restaurant department, but Goodland more than makes up for it.

As for the OP original question, I would never want to live anywhere else but this area (Western KS, Eastern CO, its all kind of the same)... or else I would! It is pretty hit or miss with the towns though, kind of weird really, you have towns that are relatively healthy and well kept (Burlington CO, Wray CO, Otis CO, Yuma CO, Sharon Springs KS, Goodland KS, Colby KS, etc), then others that are run down or nearly abandoned (Cope CO, Kanarado KS, Weskan KS, etc). Others are somewhere in between (Stratton CO for instance). I think some of it has to do with there being a school there or not, along with many other factors I'm sure. Just be sure to visit anywhere you think about moving. Many people are quick to ridicule western KS who have never lived there. When they blow by us on the interstate they think little of us, but there are real, great communities here. ItsMeFred and I seem to be nearly the only posters on here actually living in this area, let us know if we can help in any way.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:48 PM

18,143 posts, read 25,680,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Hm you have intrigued me with this restaurant in Wray. Burlington is lacking in the good restaurant department, but Goodland more than makes up for it.

As for the OP original question, I would never want to live anywhere else but this area (Western KS, Eastern CO, its all kind of the same)... or else I would! It is pretty hit or miss with the towns though, kind of weird really, you have towns that are relatively healthy and well kept (Burlington CO, Wray CO, Otis CO, Yuma CO, Sharon Springs KS, Goodland KS, Colby KS, etc), then others that are run down or nearly abandoned (Cope CO, Kanarado KS, Weskan KS, etc). Others are somewhere in between (Stratton CO for instance). I think some of it has to do with there being a school there or not, along with many other factors I'm sure. Just be sure to visit anywhere you think about moving. Many people are quick to ridicule western KS who have never lived there. When they blow by us on the interstate they think little of us, but there are real, great communities here. ItsMeFred and I seem to be nearly the only posters on here actually living in this area, let us know if we can help in any way.
It's been a couple years since I've been out to Limon, Burlington, and points east, but plan on doing that around the end of April to visit friends in Kansas City, Council Bluffs, and then Cheyenne before heading back over the mountains.

One time in 1989 I decided to get off the interstate and meander east on the "Pony Express" highway-U.S. 36. Loved it! Some of the nicest friendly folks a person would ever want to meet. Belleville, Marysville-cool towns!

One town on that route sticks in my mind as it wasn't that many years ago one of Kansas' western towns wound up with an interesting writeup in the Denver Post, I'm guessing maybe 7 years ago. The western Kansas town of Atwood was advertising free land, the only catch being you provided your own financing regarding building your house on that free lot.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The western Kansas town of Atwood was advertising free land, the only catch being you provided your own financing regarding building your house on that free lot.
Actually there are quite a few towns in Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado (and undoubtedly other states) doing the same thing.
Flagler, CO, for example, has been advertising free commercial lots for several years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
How long have you been in Burlington?

There's The Route Steakhouse in Burlington (which I've heard REALLY mixed reviews about), 4th and Main (which I've heard nothing but good) and Route 36 Grille and Pub in Idalia which is excellent too. And closer to you. lol

All three are owned by the same guys. I think Idalia was first, then Burlington, then Wray. They actually live in Wray, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM

12,884 posts, read 13,550,813 times
The Kansas Explorer club is also a good organization they have a publicaton which might be informative.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:17 PM

350 posts, read 844,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
There's The Route Steakhouse in Burlington (which I've heard REALLY mixed reviews about), 4th and Main (which I've heard nothing but good) and Route 36 Grille and Pub in Idalia which is excellent too. And closer to you.
Ya we have some restaurants, I just don't like them as much as the ones in Goodland. The Route is way overpriced and I am not a fan of The Post, but the mexican restaurant downtown is fantastic, and Pizza Hut is good for wings and Italian... I don't like their pizza though. We also have a new restaurant at our new Best Western, it is decent, and Denny's is opening soon. We have not tried "Spices on the Green" at the golf course yet.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM

4,166 posts, read 6,288,390 times
Thanks for your posts and help!...i fell in love with Western Kansas when I spent time with my relatives. It was hard for me to leave!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 PM

22 posts, read 36,084 times
CArizona, did you get a chance to try that old fashion burger joint in Oakley? It seems to be pretty famous with the Colby / Oakley people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas