Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times

Advertisements

Um no... its nothing like wearing scarves. Its just something you KNOW.
But, unless they've said something first, good manners dictate you not say anything one way or the other.

I'm thinking you're not really understanding what we're talking about here, actually...

Old 04-12-2012, 05:19 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Um no... its nothing like wearing scarves. Its just something you KNOW.
But, unless they've said something first, good manners dictate you not say anything one way or the other.

I'm thinking you're not really understanding what we're talking about here, actually...
Look, we can all pick up on subtle cues and suspect somebody may be gay, but unless you're God or some other sort of all-knowing being, I wouldn't be too confident in your "gaydar". It's flawed. Even if you can pick up subtle cues that lead you to believe somebody is likely gay and you're very accurate, just think about how many gay people are out there that didn't set your gaydar off. There are a lot of folks out there who are gay but simply don't put out any vibe or signs. That's sort of the flipside of mistaking people who are gay when they're not, which is damaging, but either way I can tell you that your gaydar is flawed. You don't have it all figured out. If you think I don't understand something, explain. Can you explain at all how your gaydar works and how you know somebody is gay? Are you ever unsure and iffy, or are you always certain?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times
There's no way to explain it. Much like when people dress androgenously, but you still know their gender. So far as harm for being wrong, I guess I haven't the foggiest clue what harm would come of being mistaken... well, unless someone is a gossip or something, I guess.
Personally, I generally don't talk about it to people. Its rarely relevant...

Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Question Questions

Here are my questions:

1. Do any other states in the US have this kind of legislation? If so, which ones? If not, why not?

2. If the state has functioned for so many years and decades without this legislation, what is the immediate and urgent need for it? Obviously legislators ought to be addressing urgent issues involving the economy, crime, education, etc., so what is the compelling reason to push this through?

3. If passed, will this legislation be challenged in the courts? Is there a possibility it will be overturned in the courts?

Just asking.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Here are my questions:

1. Do any other states in the US have this kind of legislation? If so, which ones? If not, why not?

2. If the state has functioned for so many years and decades without this legislation, what is the immediate and urgent need for it? Obviously legislators ought to be addressing urgent issues involving the economy, crime, education, etc., so what is the compelling reason to push this through?

3. If passed, will this legislation be challenged in the courts? Is there a possibility it will be overturned in the courts?

Just asking.
I believe the answer to your 2nd question is that Kansas feels religion (Christianity) is under attack politically, by the Obama admin and progressives in general. It seems like some folks also want to give private entities more ability to do as they wish without being hindered by anti-discrimination laws, so as to not have to go against their own beliefs and to sort of have the ability to "vote" for what type of people they approve of by who they hire rather than have the government decide their standards for them.

Your 3rd question crossed my mind as well. I would imagine if it passes and becomes law in the Kansas Legislature, it will be challenged in the higher courts.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I believe the answer to your 2nd question is that Kansas feels religion (Christianity) is under attack politically, by the Obama admin and progressives in general. It seems like some folks also want to give private entities more ability to do as they wish without being hindered by anti-discrimination laws, so as to not have to go against their own beliefs and to sort of have the ability to "vote" for what type of people they approve of by who they hire rather than have the government decide their standards for them.

Your 3rd question crossed my mind as well. I would imagine if it passes and becomes law in the Kansas Legislature, it will be challenged in the higher courts.
No, Kansas has far better things to worry about than anything related to this, or implying a discriminatory stance as indicated by the OP. The state will never be attractive for new business growth outside of the Lawrence/KC corridor. Why would anyone move to Kansas when the state continues to give itself a black eye time and time again?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:57 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I am sickened by this:
Kansas House Green Lights Anti-Gay Bill :: EDGE on the Net

This legislation would make it legal for Kansas employers to discriminate against the LGBT community. It has passed the Kansas House, easily one of the most backward and bigoted group of legislators in America.

When we moved to Kansas, my husband and I were struck by the acceptance of gays and lesbians in our area. I guess once you get outside the KC Metro bubble, that changes, eh? He works with two women who were recently married in Iowa. No problem at work. Everyone celebrated with them. But if my husband's company were of a "super religious" mindset, they would soon be able to fire both women on the basis of their own religious beliefs.

I don't see this as anything to do with religious freedom. People are free to believe and worship as they see fit. But according to the tenets of Christianity, they are not permitted to judge, discriminate and hate. Who would Jesus discriminate against? My guess would be no one.
RELIGIOUS organizations should not be forced to hire gays/lesbians if its against the beliefs of their organization. Secular companies though should not be able to discriminate against employees for being gay, and in more than half the states this is still legal. I am totally for a national non-discrimination law as long as it exempts religious organizations.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Kansas is doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

The act should be named the Kansas Preservation of Freedom Act, with religious references removed, as all of us are entitled to think our own thoughts and judge behavior as our fundamental sensibilities guide us. Those who practice an organized religion have no more or less right to Freedom.

This country will continue it's downward slide, greased with the grossly misguided priorities of the last several decades, until we as a nation wake up and take back our individual rights - the most important, by far, of which is the freedom to think our own thoughts and make our own value judgements.

In the absence of that, we wander aimlessly in a national trance, wondering how much tighter the Progressive powers that be will cinch our straight jackets tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Seems some years ago in Wichita there was a bit of an uproar with Some people Slaughtering animals in their back yard. ( within the City Limits) I thought this was done in adherence to their religious practise. I had personal friends in Kansas who were keeping animals for slaughter in their rental house basements. I don't remember any Christians standing up for their religious freedoms. The law was the law, no killing goats and chickens in your basement to eat. Today there are places were Islamic people can go to slaughter animals in accordance to their religion , but it was them who made the accommodation to our laws not our laws accommodating them.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-15-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

Isn't this similar to what Colorado passed back in the early '90s? And that law was tossed out by the Supreme Court, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas