Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

My Dad grew-up in Kansas and moved to So CA in his late 20's. (Where he met my Mom and had me.)...Even though we didn't go back to visit relatives in Kansas very often my Dad had a way of keeping Kansas "alive" and teaching me about his "roots."...Technically I was born in CA but my Dad instilled the "Kansas spirit" inside of me too! And I'm glad!...One day soon I hope to move near my relatives in Kansas. To be honest I feel more of a "kinship" with Kansas and my relatives in Kansas than I do with So CA today!...I don't "fit-in" at all when it comes to all of the cultural changes that have taken place out here in the West through the decades...Of course Kansas has "big-city" areas too! But I am probably more "rural oriented." All of the non-stop development out here in the West "breaks my heart!" I miss having more of a balance with nature and "breathing space!"...Thanks for taking the time to listen! Did anyone else grow-up hearing about Kansas from a parent who moved away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Thanks for sharing. Like you, I grew up in southern California. Unlike you, none of my family had roots to Kansas, but I think Kansas is a special place with special people. I'm glad to hear you keep Kansas in your heart.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM

WestCobb...Thanks for the supportive post! What brought you to Kansas? Have you lived in Kansas for a long time? You sound happy! YEA! I'm sure I'll be happy living in Kansas one day soon!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 PM

145 posts, read 609,873 times
My parents were from Kansas. I was born in Colorado. I would cry as a child as we went home. Never felt like I belonged in Colorado. I moved to Kansas in 1993. Love it. The people really are pretty friendly. Currently in Wichita, Lived in Topeka. It is all good! Come home.....

Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 AM

geekychick...Thanks for the great post! YEA! I'm glad you moved to Kansas and are so happy living there...I hope to join you soon! Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,090 times
I have lived in Kansas my whole life, so therefore, I have it inside of me. To me, the things people think are dull about it is the things I like the most about it. Sure it's pretty flat, but nothing is better than taking a small walk up a hill and being able to see for endless miles, looking at nothing but the prairies. I take walks on the many country trails a numerous amount of times per month, and I enjoy myself every single time. There is a hill in the far Northeast part of the state that overlooks the Missouri river. That overlook is probably the most peaceful overlook I've ever been to, including the mountains.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
I have lived in Kansas my whole life, so therefore, I have it inside of me. To me, the things people think are dull about it is the things I like the most about it. Sure it's pretty flat, but nothing is better than taking a small walk up a hill and being able to see for endless miles, looking at nothing but the prairies. I take walks on the many country trails a numerous amount of times per month, and I enjoy myself every single time. There is a hill in the far Northeast part of the state that overlooks the Missouri river. That overlook is probably the most peaceful overlook I've ever been to, including the mountains.
I know what you mean with that last bit. I really like the historic Esplanade St in Leavenworth and would love to live in one of its houses high on the bluff overlooking the Missouri River, the bottoms, and distant bluffs.

39.309788,-94.907193 - Google Maps

But where exactly are you talking about?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I know what you mean with that last bit. I really like the historic Esplanade St in Leavenworth and would love to live in one of its houses high on the bluff overlooking the Missouri River, the bottoms, and distant bluffs.

39.309788,-94.907193 - Google Maps

But where exactly are you talking about?
Oh yes, that would be a great place to live. The lookout that I was at was in White Cloud. Such a small town, which means that the lookout deck that they have would hardly ever have people on it. Perfect relaxing location. I spent about 15 minutes just standing there.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
OK, I can't resist any longer. Every time I read this: " I feel like I've always had Kansas inside of me", I think "exorcist"!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,553 times
I went to High School in Anaheim, CA. I never felt at home in CA. I married a Dodge City,KS man and moved to Dodge City in 1985. I've changed husbands and towns, but I still love Kansas. I love the wide open spaces, the big sky, and the real people. Not a lot of silly people putting on airs around here. The richest people in our area work for a living - getting their hands dirty, seems to keep people more down to earth instead of hoity toity. I like that. I've lived the big city/apartment lifestyle. I've lived in Hawaii, California, Colorado, Minnesota, Virginia, Cuba, and the Phillipines. I prefer my humble Kansas. I'll never live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas