Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times

Advertisements

I've been shoping for a retirement location for several years, and rejected many places for a variety of reasons. Kansas may be our answer. Now you have to understand, we now live in west Texas, so MANY places would be better than this, but we want to pick what is best for us over all. What we like is the relatively low crime rates in most cities, Winters that are not overly long or cold and summers that are not overly hot and dry. We need good access to health care, relatively clean air, and a half way decent employment picture, as we have a handicapped son who lives with us and works. We may want to work some also. We want some lakes nearby, and nice roads for my motorcycle. Any observations on retirement to Kansas, or any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I've been shoping for a retirement location for several years, and rejected many places for a variety of reasons. Kansas may be our answer. Now you have to understand, we now live in west Texas, so MANY places would be better than this, but we want to pick what is best for us over all. What we like is the relatively low crime rates in most cities, Winters that are not overly long or cold and summers that are not overly hot and dry. We need good access to health care, relatively clean air, and a half way decent employment picture, as we have a handicapped son who lives with us and works. We may want to work some also. We want some lakes nearby, and nice roads for my motorcycle. Any observations on retirement to Kansas, or any suggestions would be appreciated.
Your climate requirements are subjective. KS definitely can get hot in the summer and most years does have real winters. Not sure if that disqualifies your needs or not.

KS is a little light on lakes, most of your other needs I think you can meet though.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the commentary. I know its light in the lake area, but keep in mind, I live in west Texas. Look on the map and see how far away lakes are and how many there are. And you can't go by the map even, because some of those lakes have completely dried up or the lakes are so small that they are useless.

Note the high wind speeds most of the year. And hot?? We've over 90 almost every day from mid May through Sept. Last year we had 100+ temperatures for 40 days. A cool off in Kansas would be welcome. And having grown up in Wisc. we can take a little more cold weather. Last 3 days has been 97-99. Last week we had our first 100 degree day.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Thanks for the commentary. I know its light in the lake area, but keep in mind, I live in west Texas. Look on the map and see how far away lakes are and how many there are. And you can't go by the map even, because some of those lakes have completely dried up or the lakes are so small that they are useless.

Note the high wind speeds most of the year. And hot?? We've over 90 almost every day from mid May through Sept. Last year we had 100+ temperatures for 40 days. A cool off in Kansas would be welcome. And having grown up in Wisc. we can take a little more cold weather. Last 3 days has been 97-99. Last week we had our first 100 degree day.
In that case, the climate should work for you.

There are a number of man-made lakes around the KC metro area like the nice one just south of Olathe, KS.

The metro area should give you access to the other items you are looking for such as healthcare and employment.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Low crime rates? Have you checked the stats on the cities you are considering? Taxes are high and may not seem that way from a distance but once you see what you get for those tax dollars, you'll see why I say they are high. We have an adult son with developmental disabilities and I am wondering if your son gets any services from the state and I don't mean to pry but Kansas has a waiting list for services for both the physical and mental disabilities categories and I believe I heard it was 4 years long. We waited 5 years for a slot with residential and then the programs were so crappy and limited to certain areas - great if you are going metro but otherwise, services are limited. Also, if your son receives Medicaid, they are getting ready to rework that and go to KanCare and it is my understanding that many will lose benefits. Have you considered SE Alabama? We have been trying to go back there, loved the climate there and it was a laid back atmosphere and the cost of living was not that bad.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Cookeville or Crossville, TN would be my recommendations if you expand your search to the Southeast. Four seasons, plenty of reservoirs and rivers, forests, nearby hospitals, much lower cost of living than Kansas, and LOW LOW property taxes. The distance to a larger city like Knoxville is around 45 minutes. Elevation is about 1800ft on the Cumberland Plateau so summer temperatures don't go much above 90F while winter temperatures range from the 30s through the 50sF. Lush greenery to be found everywhere.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Granite Stater: I'm sure Tennessee would be fine, but my wife has serious allergies, and I've read before that Knoxville is one of the worst. Yes everyplace has has some allergy problems, but from what I've read, the air in Kansas is comparatively clean.

My autisic son works and is over 30, and hasn't used any govt. services since HS.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 PM

71 posts, read 242,225 times
Here's info on retiring in Manhattan, Kansas: Manhattan Economic Development - Retire to the Flint Hills.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
So long as pollen, dust and mold don't bother you, you should be OK with allergies. Remember the wind and the dry make all of those things take flight. And, does anyone have a definition of what exactly the "Kansas Crud" is? Isn't that allergies? Right now, I'm having a problem with that "cotton" from the Cottonwood trees and we didn't have that where I came from.

I'm glad your son doesn't require any services like vocational rehab or work trainers because that is really tight. My son functions at the 40 month level so.....................

I do wonder what areas you are looking at. I'm guessing the higher cost areas like Lawrence to Kansas City since they offer "opportunity". In a college town, you'd have competition on the part-time jobs if you wanted to supplement your retirement.

Have you ever been to Kansas?

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 05-04-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM

I've passed through Kansas several times. Stayed in Emporia last year. We also stopped in Abilene and saw the Eisenhour presidential library. We all noticed how nice and clean many of the small towns are. I'm sure it has allegins of all kinds, as most places do, but its less than many places, and west Texas has been the worst place for my wife's allergies. We get frequent dust storms and that has made my wife's life miserable. Dallas and NC were bad, but this takes the cake. Appreciate all your help.

Some of you might understand a little better why Kansas looks good to us if you knew that west Texas, is shrinking in population, even while most other parts of the state are growing quite rapidly. West Texas has a lot of negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas