Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I am often amused at how many that don't live in KS think it is a place from the 1950's where you can leave your doors unlocked and leave your keys in the ignition of your vehicle and I came across these stats: http://www.accesskansas.org/kbi/stat...dex%202011.pdf Illegal drug traffic in small towns can really run the criminal index up contributing to theft, murder, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 PM

132 posts, read 171,443 times
I don't see high crime anywhere in that spreadsheet other than maybe wyandotte. Crime occurs everywhere, Kansas's is below average. Coming from Philly/Baltimore it is literally non existent.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adebord View Post
I don't see high crime anywhere in that spreadsheet other than maybe wyandotte. Crime occurs everywhere, Kansas's is below average. Coming from Philly/Baltimore it is literally non existent.
Exactly. Let's see what Missouri's crime rate is compared to Kansas. I'm sure it's much higher.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,625 times
I always suggest to distinguish the reality from how is perceived, nowaday information runs much faster than some time ago and is full of everything that happens around us. tourists who read these things could be scared with negative conseguence for the business economy

Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I am often amused at how many that don't live in KS think it is a place from the 1950's where you can leave your doors unlocked and leave your keys in the ignition of your vehicle and I came across these stats: http://www.accesskansas.org/kbi/stat...dex%202011.pdf Illegal drug traffic in small towns can really run the criminal index up contributing to theft, murder, etc.
It kinda is though, relatively speaking.

Unless you are in KCK, Topeka and some other select niches the crime rates are pretty dang low.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:50 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It kinda is though, relatively speaking.

Unless you are in KCK, Topeka and some other select niches the crime rates are pretty dang low.
Our county of around 14,000 had 14 arson, over 400 thefts (and that is just reported ones) and other miscellaneous crimes and that seemed rather significant to me. I think tourist need to know about the theft rate. Most of this stuff is swept under the carpet. In the 2012 stats, I found out there was a meth production facility shut down but I did not hear that on the news or read it in the paper. I do not believe in covering up the facts and a better approach would be to do something about the crime! Crime is crime when it effects you.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Our county of around 14,000 had 14 arson, over 400 thefts (and that is just reported ones) and other miscellaneous crimes and that seemed rather significant to me. I think tourist need to know about the theft rate. Most of this stuff is swept under the carpet. In the 2012 stats, I found out there was a meth production facility shut down but I did not hear that on the news or read it in the paper. I do not believe in covering up the facts and a better approach would be to do something about the crime! Crime is crime when it effects you.
Aren't you happy the meth factory was shut down? And why would you want to scare tourists? Steering away tourists seems counterproductive to improving a community. Dwelling on this stuff and making yourself unhappy isn't helpful. You claim to be Christian, yet seem to have no faith. Ever heard of the serenity prayer? I think you could do yourself a lot of good practicing the principles behind it. I'm serious.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
<shrug> I don't have any insight or knowledge about your specific area. It may just be that your local media sources are dropping the ball? I can't imagine you have much tourism as KS has one of the lowest tourism rates of any state in the USA with the exception of the legends development in KCK.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
<shrug> I don't have any insight or knowledge about your specific area. It may just be that your local media sources are dropping the ball? I can't imagine you have much tourism as KS has one of the lowest tourism rates of any state in the USA with the exception of the legends development in KCK.
Fort Scott, the crime capital of the world, does cater to tourists.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
It's not smart to leave your door locked ANYWHERE these days, but I know lots of people in Kansas who never lock their door and have had no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: