Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,215 times

Advertisements

I will be working in McPherson for two years starting in Feb. Any ideas where to live for a family of four? Decent neighborhoods, elementary schools, shopping and malls for the wife. Willing to commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM

220 posts, read 451,199 times
It's a small town 30 miles from anything else, doubt you'll have a choice in schools. It's about 20 minutes from Hutchison which is your only other choice in towns, again, relatively small, probably only one elementary school.

It's less than an hour from Wichita for shopping and malls.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 PM

25,675 posts, read 21,838,722 times
McPherson is considered to be one of the better areas in Kansas so I don't think you'll see a lot of problems getting set up there. It has a great and easy location between Wichita and Salina (my favorite city in KS). It may be difficult to find anyone with information here since it seems most here only know the metro areas. Make sure you check with the Chamber of Commerce there and see if they have a moving packet because most cities have those and they are very helpful. It's a nice area in Kansas.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM

396 posts, read 992,415 times
My Grandparents live in McPherson and love it. I've always been impressed that it has a neat small town feel, but it's a nice, clean and by small town standards "wealthy." The "rundown" parts of McPherson are not at all run down. In a lot of ways McPherson has a suburban feel when it comes to housing. This is due to the fact that it has grown a lot over the last 20 years. I can't speak to any specific neighborhoods but there are quite a few nice areas on the north side of town. There is also a neighborhood on the South side of town beside the golf course. Good luck to you.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,030,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
It's a small town 30 miles from anything else, doubt you'll have a choice in schools............again, relatively small, probably only one elementary school.
Actually, McPherson City alone has FIVE elementary schools , according to SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools and also GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community . Hutchinson has many more than that.

McPherson was rated one of the top 3 or 4 best towns in the entire USA (quality of life), by Progressive Farmer magazine, several years ago.

McPherson was also included in a book some years ago, entitled something like "100 Best Towns in America."

Old 10-11-2012, 06:23 AM

I don't think McPherson is an option because of size and community. I am willing to commute so any suggestions for middle class racialy diverse areas? Wichita maybe?

Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judah517 View Post
I don't think McPherson is an option because of size and community. I am willing to commute so any suggestions for middle class racialy diverse areas? Wichita maybe?
I don't understand what you are saying. When you size, what do you mean? Must the city be larger? It might be a long commute depending on which area you are coming in from in Wichita and you're looking at an hour to the northern part Wichita. Also, "community", what are you looking for? Racially diverse? Being more specific could help. Salina is racially diverse and not as large though but almost as far as Wichita. You'll need to be more specific in order to really get any worthy advice.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Size as in larger than McPherson. A racially diverse community is a need. Shopping and entertainment. Things that a small town does not offer. Moving from metro St. Louis area to give you an idea.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judah517 View Post
Size as in larger than McPherson. A racially diverse community is a need. Shopping and entertainment. Things that a small town does not offer. Moving from metro St. Louis area to give you an idea.
I'm not familiar with metro St. Louis. There is a "Wichita" area at the top of the KS forum so you might have better luck asking about specifics there. Wichita would probably be your only choice. When it comes to racially diverse, you can look at the stats on the main page of City-Data, go down to KS and you will get a list of cities. Also, run a "search" on the KS forum to locate all the previous posts regarding Wichita since so many posters come and go and you might find exactly the info you are looking for. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas