U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,489,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
OK all now I ask this. Since I am a California native who grew up in LA would I more like KC or Topeka in your opinion. I like being not in the city but close to it where it's not a hassle to go in to. I have done a lot of research on KC but not as much on Topeka. Will I find more to do in Topeka or KC when it comes to recreation and family fun? I want this to be our family's last move so I want to make the right choice. Thank you for all of your input.
Kansas City, hands down. Topeka is a dumpy, dreary little town. I can't even imagine living in Topeka short term much less making it my family's last move.

Think Stockton, west side of Chula Vista or San Bernardino and you will have some idea of what Topeka is like, except Topeka has a worse climate, lower incomes and a less educated population than those places. Based on what you have said you are looking for, I don't think you would like Topeka at all.

Last edited by Sco; 01-24-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,990,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Kansas City, hands down. Topeka is a dumpy, dreary little town. I can't even imagine living in Topeka short term much less making it my family's last move.

Think Stockton, west side of Chula Vista or San Bernardino and you will have some idea of what Topeka is like, except Topeka has a worse climate, lower incomes and a less educated population than those places. Based on what you have said you are looking for, I don't think you would like Topeka at all.
According to City-Data, Topeka is more educated than Chula Vista in each of these categories: graduate degrees, bachelor's degrees, and HS diplomas. Topeka is FAR more educated than both San Bernardino and Stockton, according to the same source of statistics.

Why would you say something that is simply not true?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM

5,239 posts, read 7,179,195 times
How far away is your husband willing to live? The travel gets to be pretty old after long days and in nasty weather. Olathe, Kansas is about 63 miles from Topeka, thats quite a commute everyday. Have you looked at small towns outside of the metro Topeka area? Waukarusa, Kansas is in the USD437, and seems to be quite a good school from the link below. I would check out small towns like that one.

Pauline South Intermediate USD 437
Pauline South Intermediate School - Wakarusa, Kansas - KS - School overview

Here is a detailed Kansas map with small towns on it.
http://www.ksdot.org/burtransplan/ma...-14Mapside.pdf

Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,489,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
According to City-Data, Topeka is more educated than Chula Vista in each of these categories, graduate degrees, bachelor's degrees, and HS diplomas. Topeka is FAR more educated than both San Bernardino and Stockton, according to the same source of statistics.

Why would you say something that is simply not true?
I stand by my post 100%, you have your opinion and I have mine.

OP, as someone that has lived in So Cal and many other places trust me you will be making a huge mistake moving to Topeka. I mean the kind of mistake that you would regret for the rest of your life.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I stand by my post 100%, you have your opinion and I have mine.

OP, as someone that has lived in So Cal and many other places trust me you will be making a huge mistake moving to Topeka. I mean the kind of mistake that you would regret for the rest of your life.
I was talking specifically about your remarks regarding education, which I made clear, and for which I was talking facts not opinions.

Again, why would you say something that is simply not true?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
Ok after looking at schools in Lawrence none seem to have high scores via good schools.net. This is a big deal for us. My husband is pretty sure he will take the job in Topeka because of a bonus. I need good schools as well as great recreation for our family. My oldest will be in 5th grade so I am looking at all three levels. Please suggest some other areas that has great schools. We are willing to raise his commute time if necessary.
Lawrence is a great city and very near Topeka. I don't see how their schools could be anything less than great. Lawrence is the clear choice hear for somebody not wanting to live in Topeka, but having to work there. That is unless they want to live in a nearby small town.

Glancing at the statistics, Columbia, SC sounds *a lot* like Topeka. I mean, demographically and in regard to population, they couldn't be more similar! The same folks here downing Topeka would probably make Columbia, SC sound just as terrible.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 PM

8,429 posts, read 7,720,500 times
I lived in Lawrence. People there kept telling me Topeka is a hell and Lawrence is great.
Topeka does have some crappy neighborhoods you don't see in Lawrence.

However Topeka seems to have larger shopping centers and stuff like that. They even have a zoo with a few exotic animals like orangutans and giraffes. I suspect Topeka is better for married adults.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM

8,429 posts, read 7,720,500 times
Lawrence is not as safe as people assumed.
Just a few months ago a gunned man robbed a female graduate student ON CAMPUS! He took the iPhone and iPad away.

A good thing is the cops are "nice". I never got a ticket there.
I was caught running a red light once and the cop just warned me.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I lived in Lawrence. People there kept telling me Topeka is a hell and Lawrence is great.
Topeka does have some crappy neighborhoods you don't see in Lawrence.

However Topeka seems to have larger shopping centers and stuff like that. They even have a zoo with a few exotic animals like orangutans and giraffes. I suspect Topeka is better for married adults.
I sort of see where you're coming from here, but I think Lawrence has dual community suitable for mature adults and families. It's not all KU and Mass St. That giant sea of westward beige is standard suburbia.

Lawence has crime that correlates with being a college town. However, being that Lawrence is VERY expensive by Kansas standards and doesn't have an industrial past, there's not a ghetto there and thus the place lacks the type of crime associated with that, except the occasional incident where somebody usually from KCMO, KCK, or Topeka brings problems while visiting. There's really not even much working-class priced real estate in Lawrence. And Lawrence is lily-white. Topeka, on the other hand, has an industrial past and present and a diverse population, ethnically and socio-economically. It's mostly humble, legit working-class people, but there are a few really hard-up neighborhoods and families - the murder rate is reflective of such.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Some reasons I will always have a bias against Topeka:

1. When I worked there, all the locals I worked with were terrified of crime because almost all of them had seen a lot of it.

2. I was driving home one night, and some person just walked out in the street in front of my car and lied down. And just lied there. Awkward.

3. Westboro Baptist Church. Enough said.

4. The city basically legalized domestic violence. WTF.

5. When I worked there, it was just an ugly city. This may have changed. But you either had run down old parts of town or new parts of town that were just strip malls and cookie cutter subdivisions. No in-between.

6. All the Kansas politicians gather there. lol

Those are obviously personal reasons with a lot of anecdotal evidence so not an accurate picture at all. But I just did not get a nice impression of the city. I would never live there.
1. People exaggerate and make more out of things as a sort of hobby sometimes. People also think Springfield, MO and Independence, KS have "ghettos", which I think is a ridiculous idea.

2. See the video. I believe it. Crazy drug-addicted hellbellies having fun.

3. But the Westboro neighborhood itself is beautiful! One of the best in KS for sure.

4. That was quickly reversed. It seemed to be all about money.

5. The city has ugly and runned down parts, needs lots of streetscaping and stuff, but has lots of potential (if everybody didn't down Topeka or choose Lawrence, some of that potential would be fulfilled). The 'inbetween' would be mid-west Topeka, like College Hill, Westboro, and near Gage Park (which is awesome, classic Americana).

6. Okay.

Video:

crack head on wet in kansas city - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas