Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:06 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The opposite has occurred if you look at the BLS data. Job growth in Kansas over the last year is right near the bottom with a 0.1% increase in jobs.
That's why they need to up that 17% higher to pay some corporations to have offices there...that's what Oregon does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 11:17 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
The opposite has occurred if you look at the BLS data. Job growth in Kansas over the last year is right near the bottom with a 0.1% increase in jobs.
Some here have reported that the problem with undocumented workers is especially bad in Kansas. I don't know how valid that claim is because I know it is bad at least throughout the West, if not the entire nation. But to the extent that it may be true, wouldn't that (by definition) skew and depress the jobs numbers?

Old 10-16-2015, 12:43 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That's why they need to up that 17% higher to pay some corporations to have offices there...that's what Oregon does.
Kansas is now running a budget deficit if you've been following the news out of the state. They reduced income taxes on the higher bracket income earners and many businesses that were paying taxes have now enrolled their operations into LLC's and other entities as a result. Also, Kansas spends a disproportionate amount on corporate welfare and subsidies to big business in Johnson County with little going to the remaining 104 counties. It is the balance that is incorrect, even if Johnson County has 15-20% of the total state population. That county is doing fine, it is the continual cuts to basic services and education by Brownback that has resulted in little job growth. This is especially the case when the state does not receive any positive in-migration.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Some here have reported that the problem with undocumented workers is especially bad in Kansas. I don't know how valid that claim is because I know it is bad at least throughout the West, if not the entire nation. But to the extent that it may be true, wouldn't that (by definition) skew and depress the jobs numbers?
That is an issue with the packing plant towns (Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, etc). Consumers need to change behavior and put pressure on big corporate conglomerates that mass produce food if they dislike the present way the system is structured. A good way to examine the data is to check the total percentage of the population that are listed as "foreign born." In Johnson County it is around 8%. In Dodge City in Ford County it is 25-30%.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
That is an issue with the packing plant towns (Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, etc). Consumers need to change behavior and put pressure on big corporate conglomerates that mass produce food if they dislike the present way the system is structured. A good way to examine the data is to check the total percentage of the population that are listed as "foreign born." In Johnson County it is around 8%. In Dodge City in Ford County it is 25-30%.
And if those "foreign born" illegals are working, but not officially counted among those working, the numbers would not reflect reality, correct? What I'm getting at is that there may be documented job growth....as opposed to real job growth....and there may be a wide gap between the two. But I don't profess any real expertise in this area. Maybe the illegals are counted somehow - I don't know. Just raising the question.

Bottom line is that I'm skeptical that Kansas is doing much, if any, worse than most other similar states in real job growth.

As to putting pressure on the big corporate food conglomerates, my part is no longer eating any meat. Well....with the exception of that in spaghetti sauce occasionally.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
And if those "foreign born" illegals are working, but not officially counted among those working, the numbers would not reflect reality, correct? What I'm getting at is that there may be documented job growth....as opposed to real job growth....and there may be a wide gap between the two. But I don't profess any real expertise in this area. Maybe the illegals are counted somehow - I don't know. Just raising the question.

Bottom line is that I'm skeptical that Kansas is doing much, if any, worse than most other similar states in real job growth.

As to putting pressure on the big corporate food conglomerates, my part is no longer eating any meat. Well....with the exception of that in spaghetti sauce occasionally.
I know what you are referring to regarding "real" and "documented" job growth, but I think one of the determining factors that are used to measure the "jobs on the ground" factor is a migration analysis. If a labor shortage exists in the area, in-migration will increase and population will rise. This has not been the case for the vast majority of Kansas because the official documented total jobs number has been very static, meaning nearly every other state in the US has seen a greater percentage of new job growth.

In the case of illegal immigrants, this does have an impact on census population estimates. They might not get counted in a census, but may be working for an employer. The only states that have a worse performance are energy patch states that are not very economically diversified. You would not be "skeptical" of statistics if they were along the lines of what you think is happening. I am familiar with most areas of Kansas and am back there a few times a year. Most issues are made worse by one of the worst governors of any state in the US. This fact cannot be ignored.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
I know what you are referring to regarding "real" and "documented" job growth, but I think one of the determining factors that are used to measure the "jobs on the ground" factor is a migration analysis. If a labor shortage exists in the area, in-migration will increase and population will rise. This has not been the case for the vast majority of Kansas because the official documented total jobs number has been very static, meaning nearly every other state in the US has seen a greater percentage of new job growth.

In the case of illegal immigrants, this does have an impact on census population estimates. They might not get counted in a census, but may be working for an employer. The only states that have a worse performance are energy patch states that are not very economically diversified. You would not be "skeptical" of statistics if they were along the lines of what you think is happening. I am familiar with most areas of Kansas and am back there a few times a year. Most issues are made worse by one of the worst governors of any state in the US. This fact cannot be ignored.
And you would not be pounding on Brownback day in and day out if it were not for his stubborn adherence to defending Kansas, as best he can, against the madness that is the "progressive" agenda. And there can be little doubt that it is that stance that got him re-elected.

Brownback sticks out like a sore thumb in today's perverse political climate because he is one of very few public figures with the guts to stand up to the radical left. Most others have caved and bow 10 times daily to the Gods of the left, dutifully pledging their allegiance to all positions precisely as mandated and enforced by the PC police in the national media.

Accordingly, the viewpoint of most of today's young adults is 180 degrees upside down from reality. They have been programmed to view Brownback as an extremist - a radical. When, in fact, he is one of very few who is not.

Worst Governor, best Governor, and everything in between is strictly opinion, not fact. You are entitled to yours, but it is that and nothing more.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
And you would not be pounding on Brownback day in and day out if it were not for his stubborn adherence to defending Kansas, as best he can, against the madness that is the "progressive" agenda. And there can be little doubt that it is that stance that got him re-elected.

Brownback sticks out like a sore thumb in today's perverse political climate because he is one of very few public figures with the guts to stand up to the radical left. Most others have caved and bow 10 times daily to the Gods of the left, dutifully pledging their allegiance to all positions precisely as mandated and enforced by the PC police in the national media.

Accordingly, the viewpoint of most of today's young adults is 180 degrees upside down from reality. They have been programmed to view Brownback as an extremist - a radical. When, in fact, he is one of very few who is not.

Worst Governor, best Governor, and everything in between is strictly opinion, not fact. You are entitled to yours, but it is that and nothing more.
It really does not have as much to do with political party in the case of Brownback, it comes down to very poor management of the state and an even poorer understanding of economics (strict supply side theories do not work without necessary significant additional revenue streams coming in). Colorado is obviously booming in terms of its economy as well as having strongly migration trends. Kansas is the exact opposite.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:12 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
It really does not have as much to do with political party in the case of Brownback, it comes down to very poor management of the state and an even poorer understanding of economics (strict supply side theories do not work without necessary significant additional revenue streams coming in). Colorado is obviously booming in terms of its economy as well as having strongly migration trends. Kansas is the exact opposite.
Colorado is not a farming state and is undergoing a pot boom. Nebraska would probably be better comparatively, Iowa too....and I'd stay away from the oil\gas states for obvious reasons.

Even if we could all agree that Brownbacks economic policies are great or terrible the bottom line is that it takes many many years if not even a decade or more for tax policies to drive off or bring in businesses unless they are truly massive like the deals all kinds of places give to entice companies to build factories, distribution centers etc. there.

As such, Brownbacks plan was flawed from the start in terms of timing as the revenues were going to lag the tax cuts leaving you with a big fat deficit unless you did it very slowly or had some sort of other big income boom to tide you over like oil\gas boom or the pot thing in Colorado.

Would have been hilarious if Brownback had legalized pot sales in KS tied to his tax cuts....if it had gotten passed it may actually have worked. (At least longer than the plan he started out with did lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas