Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,727,879 times

Advertisements

And mostly just to lure kcmo companies across state line (no new net jobs for metro kc or net new residents for Kansas)

All I can say is lol...

Kansas businesses receive more than $1B in incentives - Kansas City Business Journal

And they are not slowing down

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/05...r-victory.html

Again, all I can say is haha that tax payers put up with this. No wonder the state can't fund its schools, let alone much of anything beyond that (transit, parks etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 40,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
And mostly just to lure kcmo companies across state line (no new net jobs for metro kc or net new residents for Kansas)
I'm not going to get into a debate about the merits of awarding incentives to companies, but I want to address your claim that "most" of the incentives awarded in Kansas went to "lure kcmo companies" across the state line. Based on the data on The New York Times' website, this is not correct. The majority of the largest grants went to companies that were not based in Missouri. The table shows 808 grants to companies in Kansas, with 19 of those grants in excess of $1 million.

The largest single grant went to Sara Lee Corporation, $57 million, to build a new meat processing plant in Kansas City, Kansas. That plant was not lured from Kansas City, Missouri. The jobs were not taken from Missouri. They were new jobs. Whether you agree or disagree with awarding the incentives, you cannot claim that this is just shuffling jobs from one side of the state line to the other. In this instance, these incentives led to the creation of new jobs for Kansas and the KC metro area.

I am not familiar with every company on the list, but of the 19 companies that were awarded in excess of $1 million, the only ones that I know of that were lured from the Missouri side to the Kansas side with incentives were AMC Entertainment and Hoefer Wysocki Architects, both of which moved from Kansas City, Missouri to Leawood. Ten of the top nineteen grants went to companies located in areas of Kansas outside of the KC metro area.

There are a lot of problems with these incentives that don't have to do with Kansas luring companies from the Missouri side to the Kansas side of the KC metro area. The fourth-highest grant on that list is a $26 million incentive package given to Perceptive Software to get Perceptive Software to move from Shawnee to Lenexa. That's a move from one city to another within the same county in Kansas. And that incentive package was approved by a vote of 7-0 by the Lenexa City Council.

I also want to point out that even though it says that 17% of Kansas' budget goes to incentives, according to their data, that figure is higher in other states. According to their data, 51% of Texas' budget goes to incentives. In Nebraska, it's 39%. In Oklahoma, it's 37%. In Michigan, it's 30%.

Explore Government Subsidies - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Sara Lee Sliced Meat Processing Plant - Food Processing Technology

Lenexa approves $26 million package for Perceptive Software | The Dispatch

Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,849,231 times
Minneha: Thank you for setting the record straight.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 PM

132 posts, read 170,146 times
As if Missouri schools are good? I know a lot of parents, including mine that moved across state lines to get into KS schools.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM

26,379 posts, read 46,272,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Minneha: Thank you for setting the record straight.
The problem with corporate welfare is that there are no set standards that the corporations must abide by. They may create a good number of jobs in a community and then pull out whilst the taxpayers foot the bill for all of the infrastructure, loss of tax revenue, etc. It all has to be made up one way or another.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,143,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

All I can say is lol...

Kansas businesses receive more than $1B in incentives - Kansas City Business Journal

And they are not slowing down

With SelectQuote move, Kansas scores a border war victory - KansasCity.com

Again, all I can say is haha that tax payers put up with this. No wonder the state can't fund its schools, let alone much of anything beyond that (transit, parks etc).
Jealousy is unbecoming!

Why doesn't Missouri eliminate taxes on businesses? I read a few years ago that Missouri was considering having no state income tax, and that definitely would have made a difference to businesses and individuals in deciding where to live. I own a small business. Usually my Kansas tax bill ends up being more than my federal tax bill. Although I love Johnson County, the last couple of years we have thought about buying a place with a little bit of land, and considered the Missouri side if we could find something affordable in an area we liked. Would prefer southern Johnson County, but too expensive for what we would want. With the new tax laws, it wouldn't make sense to move to Missouri. I'll keep myself and my business in Kansas.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,143,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adebord View Post
As if Missouri schools are good? I know a lot of parents, including mine that moved across state lines to get into KS schools.
Yep. I grew up in Johnson County, lived in Missouri as a young adult, but by the time my oldest was 18 months old we had moved to Johnson County. It's one thing if you're a young adult; another if you are raising kids.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,003,338 times
If the tax cuts are so effective for Kansas, then why is the state having such a huge budget crisis looming and not growing rapidly? I dont see huge massive numbers of Missourians flocking to Kansas because of this "tax cut" I live in Kansas and in the Kansas City side but it really amazes me how people in Kansas City on the Kansas side know so little about the rest of Kansas and even Missouri.. You will really be in a world of hurt in the coming years when all these tax cuts cause infrastructure issues on roads, causes more rural counties to decline, when many sprawled out suburban areas face struggles (which is ironic because people left for these suburban areas only to have them come back soon enough), and lets face it.. the area of Kansas City's metro area that is likely to grow most is Platte and Clay counties up to the airport.. That is Missouri generally. I could see Leavenworth county growing nicely too, but in general, the main growth be in Missouri..

Kansas gets what it has coming electing one of the worst governors ever with Brownback.. The reason the low taxes works in places like Texas was because many retirees are moving there and it had a huge oil business boom coincide.. It also helps that Texas is so large and has many places people want to see.. Kansas has none of these.. The only possible thing Kansas could have going for it would be the oil boom in areas of Southern Kansas... but who knows...

Old 12-15-2012, 05:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,932,716 times

Tracy Lawrence-Texas Tornado - YouTube

Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,134,660 times
this is a very good post. great program on this on KPBS just the other day.
too many cities and states get shaken down by corporations seeking tax breaks and then pull out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas