U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2006, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 22,422 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to live in rural kansas Just dont know where to live. Im an engineering student,and I would like to come there and continue my education. If kansas is as good as they say it is I want to come there.

Where do I live, free from tornados, and are not prejudice( no pun here) I hear the people here are very loving and down home such as we are.

Atwood
Plainville
Lincoln
Wilson
Ellsworth
Holyrood
kanopolis
Marquette
Peabody
Eureka
Argonia
Chetopia
Parson
coffeyvillewashington
manikota
minnepolis

Please share here or PM me Please
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 12:14 PM

7,896 posts, read 9,358,889 times
I only know of these areas. Although, I do live in KS, I'm in SW KS...

Ellsworth
Holyrood

There's not a thing to do in those 2 towns. No shopping. Some friendly folks, so if you're looking for place that has shopping and some excitement, I wouldn't recommend the 2 I listed. Plus they do have tornado warnings in those 2 areas. Afterall it's Kansas YOu could get tornado's anywhere.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 26,492 times
If you are wanting to continue your education you need to be close enough to one of the cities with a university that offers what you need...Hays, Manhattan, Lawrence, Wichita, Emporia, KC...the more rural you get the farther it is to a university...

Old 10-09-2006, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 19,340 times
Clay Center is about 25 miles outside of Manhattan. There is a lot of open space between the two towns. Not much to do in Clay Center. I have lived in Concordia for 8 years. I really like the friendly people and the small town feel. I am about 1 1/2 hours from Manhattan, though we do have a two year college here in town.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:14 PM

9 posts, read 33,973 times
The Lawrence, KS area would be perfect for you. Kansas University is in Lawrence and it is a progressive city, politically speaking. It is a culturally diverse city as well. There are many nice small towns near such as, Eudora, & De Soto. It is also a beautiful hilly part of the state. I loved growing up in Eudora, many years ago.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 14,309 times
Default Winfield

Hi, I moved to Winfield Kansas 2 years ago. I moved from Raleigh, NC. I like Winfield because it is a peaceful small town. It takes about an hour to get to Wichita and about the same amount of time to get to Ponca City in OK. The ride to Wichita is pleasant if you like to see farm lands and cows grazing. There are no magor shopping centers in Winfield. That's why I mentioned Wichita and Ponca City. As far as Tornados, no one I have talked to has ever seen one. My house was built in 1905 and it has yet to be flattened by one. That is the beauty of Winfield. It is full of old lovely houses and tree lined streets. Also, you might want to consider Wellington because it is a lot closer to Wichita and would be easy to commute to school and still enjoy small town life. Before I moved here, I looked on realtor.com a lot. You can learn a lot about areas by house listings. You might want to spend some time doing that because often the listings give details about the area. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:12 PM

24 posts, read 143,783 times
I have lived in Kansas for many years... in the central, northwest, southeast and northeast parts of the state... in very small towns, regional centers and cities. And I would say that Kansas has a lot to offer, but there are some definite trade-offs. But if you are coming to continue your engineering education, then you will be living in or near a college/university town, so you will have plenty to do. Kansas people are fundamentally good people, but they also are conservative. College towns tend to be more progressive overall (especially Lawrence). Manhattan (K-State) is supposed to have a good engineering school, and I think KU's (Lawrence) is good as well. All college towns are surrounded by small towns and country living opportunities. But the economy in rural Kansas is truly suffering. Small towns are drying up due to the lack of jobs. The biggest reason for this is the advent of corporate/industrial farming. Sustainable family farms are becoming a thing of the past, and since many rural Kansas communities were based on a local agricultural economy, they cannot survive without the family farms. Some are trying hard to find innovative ways to stimulate their economies to the point of survival, but many are becoming desperate. Meth and other drug problems also have become a problem in some rural Kansas areas. That is something you will want to check into before you move to any community. Drugs are not everywhere, but they are a real problem in some towns. Also, no matter where you live in Kansas, you may encounter a tornado. I have seen them, but never had a home damaged by one. On the other hand, I have had friends whose homes were destroyed. The odds are against anything happening, but it's always a possibility. If you make it to Kansas, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:31 PM

218 posts, read 1,418,705 times
Did you say ENGINEERING student? Well, Kansas University in Lawrence is the place in Kansas for most engineering programs.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 26,143 times
Plainville is about 25 miles from Hays which has a college. Doc

Old 12-06-2006, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 14,287 times
Plainville is a good little town. Fort Hays has a good University. Cost of living is low and the people are completely friendly. If you need a bigger school, look at the area around Manhattan.
I grew up in Kansas and still wouldn't live anywhere else- though I have... but I came back!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas