Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 PM

20 posts, read 90,956 times

Advertisements

I need some info on Topeka, Kansas I was considering moving there. What areas should I not live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 01:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
You can send information such as e-mail to the poster in a private message or direct message if they want information regarding real estate.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:42 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Isn't Topeka the home of Reverend Phelps and his bizarre group of followers?

Old 10-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
That would be correct.
Kansas is also trying to relegate itself to permanent flyover status by challenging a coal plant ruling that was denied by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. The state has definitely got some problems embracing new technology such as wind energy. Kansas is the 3rd best state in the US to develop wind energy.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerpeacezz View Post
I need some info on Topeka, Kansas I was considering moving there. What areas should I not live in.
Avoid the older parts of town, and the east side. I would highly recommend Lawrence, Kansas which is just a little east of Topeka. Housing is a little more expensive in Lawrence, but it is a neat University town. If you are looking for a small town you could try Silver Lake which is NW of Topeka.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:29 PM

110 posts, read 608,997 times
Check the websites on the internet that give crime indexes for cities in the US. I think Topeka will surprise you (ie. crime index is high). It used to be a nice town, but crime and gang activity has become a problem. What used to be lovely areas (Westboro, historic Potwin, and the western edge of the city) are in decline.

If you do decide to move there, check out the neighborhood where you plan to move. I'd also recommend you get a detailed crime report from the police dept. I think the newspaper, the Topeka Capital Journal, also features a zip code map detailing crimes within the various areas, but I'm not sure about that.

I agree that Lawrence is a much better location, and it's just 25 miles east of Topeka, a short trek on the turnpike. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 27,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonner View Post
Check the websites on the internet that give crime indexes for cities in the US. I think Topeka will surprise you (ie. crime index is high). It used to be a nice town, but crime and gang activity has become a problem. What used to be lovely areas (Westboro, historic Potwin, and the western edge of the city) are in decline.

If you do decide to move there, check out the neighborhood where you plan to move. I'd also recommend you get a detailed crime report from the police dept. I think the newspaper, the Topeka Capital Journal, also features a zip code map detailing crimes within the various areas, but I'm not sure about that.

I agree that Lawrence is a much better location, and it's just 25 miles east of Topeka, a short trek on the turnpike. Good luck!
Potwin and Westboro on the decline? What exactly about these places indicates they are not living up to their reputation as beautiful neighborhoods?I live very near Potwin and it looks just as nice as ever. Topeka is not a perfect place (and as someone who didn't grow up here, I feel I have a good "outsider" perspective on the place), but I disagree with blanket statements that suggest that every older neighborhood in the city is dumpy, dangerous, and not worth the time of someone considering a move to the community. While there are some truly bad neighborhoods in Topeka (as there are in most cities), there are many great places to live as well and not all of them are located on the fringes or outside the city.
As for police statistics, visit The Official Web Site of the City of Topeka and go to the Police Dept. section of the website. You can view extensive crime stats and no, the info is not arranged by zip code (which in Topeka would not be very useful since one zipcode may cover a large tract of the city and include a wide range of neighborhoods and commercial areas). Just do your research and if you are serious about relocating to Topeka, come with an open mind. Topeka, like all places, is what you make of it. You may have to look a little harder in Topeka for cool places and people, but they are here.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM

68 posts, read 351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
So, everyone with an opinion that doesn't fall in line with yours is bizarre?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 PM

Phelps just lost a big lawsuit. Most people do not like the man and his "group of followers" protesting at funerals of soldiers.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
That would be correct.
Kansas is also trying to relegate itself to permanent flyover status by challenging a coal plant ruling that was denied by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. The state has definitely got some problems embracing new technology such as wind energy. Kansas is the 3rd best state in the US to develop wind energy.
Most of my family is from Kansas, and after years and years of driving from New Mexico to Wichita and KC, I've wondered why the state doesn't utilize one of its greatest resources - wind. I had a teacher in middle school who, once I told him I had lived in KS and my family was from there, said something to the effect of "Oh yeah, I drove through Kansas one time. All the trees are practically bent at a 90 degree angle." While that's quite an exaggeration, I would certainly think that the state could benefit from the implementation of wind farms. Maybe someday

Last edited by AndyJ; 11-02-2007 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas