U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM

19 posts, read 11,444 times
Default Best lakes for fishing

Any insight you can give on places to fish in the state would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM

14,806 posts, read 18,776,928 times
There are no lakes in Kansas, only reservoirs. With that being said, I would recommend Clinton reservoir outside of Lawrence, Milford reservoir near Manhattan, John Redmond reservoir near Burlington, Wilson Reservoir near Russell, Hillsdale Reservoir north of Paola, and Perry Reservoir northeast of Topeka.

Unread 05-15-2013, 09:35 AM

280 posts, read 434,629 times
Big Hill Lake near Parsons in Southeast Kansas is a great fishing lake. Particularly Bass fishing. The Neosho River, also near Parsons, particularly near Chetopa is well known for it's Spoonbill and Catfishing.

Unread 05-15-2013, 05:25 PM

I just don't understand the continued "lakes" reference when they certainly aren't naturally occurring. If you want real lakes you have to go much further north.

Unread 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM

835 posts, read 856,219 times
Lake Cedar Bluff used to have great fishing but the last time I went past that lake, it was super low due to farming...
Lake Wilson also has good fishing as does Webster Lake and Inman Lake.
Modcut- inappropriate

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-16-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Unread 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM

280 posts, read 434,629 times
I purposefully used the term lakes to bother you to be honest. You need to let it go. Why does it matter? I think you are the only person I have ever "met" that is so consumed with something this trivial. Sure one is man made the other is not. Guess what, they both ultimately provide a similar ecosystem.

"Lakes are large bodies of standing water, either formed naturally or man-made for amenity purposes. Water levels tend not to fluctuate to any great extent and gently shelving margins support a wide variety of flora and associated fauna. Lakes also serve an important aesthetic role and, within the context of designed parkland, landscapes are important heritage assets."

I realize there are a few differences but ultimately there are no differences that actually matter once the lake is made (By man or nature) with the exception of lake lifespan.

http://www.unep.or.jp/ietc/publicati...rvoirs-1/4.asp

Last edited by pioneer88; 05-15-2013 at 08:43 PM..

Unread 05-16-2013, 05:18 AM

7,724 posts, read 5,931,078 times
Clinton, Perry, Pomona, Wolf Creek, Hillsdale and Lacygne are the ones I know of, all in the northeast-ish area of the state.

Unread 05-16-2013, 10:10 AM

7,724 posts, read 5,931,078 times
And the Marais des Cynges river.

Unread 05-16-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
I purposefully used the term lakes to bother you to be honest. You need to let it go. Why does it matter? I think you are the only person I have ever "met" that is so consumed with something this trivial. Sure one is man made the other is not. Guess what, they both ultimately provide a similar ecosystem.

"Lakes are large bodies of standing water, either formed naturally or man-made for amenity purposes. Water levels tend not to fluctuate to any great extent and gently shelving margins support a wide variety of flora and associated fauna. Lakes also serve an important aesthetic role and, within the context of designed parkland, landscapes are important heritage assets."

I realize there are a few differences but ultimately there are no differences that actually matter once the lake is made (By man or nature) with the exception of lake lifespan.

Lakes and Reservoirs - Similarities, Differences and Importance
Dams can also fail on reservoirs and flood anything close to it at a much faster rate compared to a naturally occurring lake. You can find many examples that pertain to this fact. Reservoirs do indeed have a very limited lifespan before they become completely filled with sediment and become useless as a body of water. We also aren't building any new reservoirs because the monetary and environmental costs are too high and well known.

Unread 05-18-2013, 11:45 AM

835 posts, read 856,219 times
So what does the difference between a natural lake and a reservoir have to do with the OP's query about fishing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas