Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yet you note it in regards to KS? Why is that?
It is a STRUCTURAL problem (many universities in many states are dealing with dramatically rising costs that well outpace inflation on a yearly basis and decadal basis) regarding how the university system allocates salaries, tenure, administrative overhead, etc, that ends up impacting tuition costs when state level expenditures continue to get slashed, which HAS BEEN and CONTINUES to be the case in Kansas under the leadership of Brownback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well duh. I am one of the people who can't stand people stereotyping Kansas because of the Wizard of Oz. I was merely taking a line from the movie "there's no place like home" and using it and referring to Dorothy because I was talking about Kansas. Your paragraph above is just ridiculous.
It is actually not ridiculous. I did not bring up Dorothy. And, I was in the Air Force and also worked on Fort Riley for 8 years so I heard this again and again. It is the reality. When we lived out of state, my husband being from KS heard it nearly every time that he told people he was from KS.

Quote:
Yet you note it in regards to KS? Why is that?
Probably because this is the KS forum?

Quote:
You picked pretty much the worst part of KS to attack the state over.

And, which part is this? The charts show the entire state for comparison.

Now compare it to KC, MO if you want to be honest.

Why don't you compare since you are the one interested in just the metro areas and how they compare. I am more interested in KS across the board.

What's next, trying to define Illinois by the Austin neighborhood in Chicago?

I am not familiar with what you are talking about.

Seriously, I've lost my patience but YOU know we cannot fight back and defend the good portions of KS....using the same slights, insults and cherry picking.

Then, why aren't you doing that. Where are your stats if I am wrong?

Oh, and when we don't fight back, you start threads talking about how there are so few threads and posts......you'd have been banned a loooooong time ago in most of the state threads around here.

And, that would have broke my heart? Doubtfully.

Enjoy your immunity, doesn't make it an intellectually honest argument though.
I still don't see your argument. Basically, because your experience in moving from Chicago to Kansas City, KS (or at least this seems to be your main hub) was great for you, you are judging moving to the state solely on that. I actually saw a recruitment video for one of the cities out west and there was a Hispanic family talking about the virtues of the particular city and saying how wonderful it was compared to living in the dangerous neighborhood in CA. Well, yeah!

My son loves in CA, grew up mostly in KS and loves CA. He would never bring his family here to live. So, there are people that do convert.

I did post positive threads one being on the drug testing for people on public assistance and restrictions on abortion which are both positive things for the state.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It is actually not ridiculous. I did not bring up Dorothy. And, I was in the Air Force and also worked on Fort Riley for 8 years so I heard this again and again. It is the reality. When we lived out of state, my husband being from KS heard it nearly every time that he told people he was from KS.
WHOOSH!!! Went right over your head. It's one of those "if you don't get it, I can't explain it to you" things. Shaking my head...

Old 08-10-2013, 12:33 AM

166 posts, read 300,106 times
Default You think taxes are that high here---???

Quote:
We have lived in other states so we do know the difference. KS has one of the highest income taxes so I am guessing that is why it is being lowered because people look at that.

Real and personal property taxes are high. Health insurance is high. Home insurance is high. You can barely get fresh fruits and vegetables thus contributing to obesity which is high. So, is anything low? Yes, wages!

As I said before, if you are in the metro areas where there have been an influx of people from other states, it isn't the same. It is a common metro area. The majority of people in KS do not live in Johnson County. Seriously, I wonder how many people in the metro areas have ever really been in traditional KS.

I love the ignorance behind the word "hate" as it is so amusing because it is used when someone doesn't have the knowledge to understand the issues involved.

I don't think anyone has to worry much that people will be moving from KS. Trust me.

Which ones? Property tax????I have not found that to be so,compared to other states I have lived in.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:54 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Start here: Taxes by State When we were on the KS-MO border, we learned that taxes were much more reasonable in MO. A lot of the residents there go and do their shopping there, fill up with gas, etc. The gasoline tax had to be substantial here. Many of the residents do move into MO when they learn what a big difference there is. KS is probably the only state we have lived in that taxes food. And by the time you take the state sales tax, the county sales tax, the city sales tax and special assessments, it is really high. We have decided not to buy anything that we can do without until we relocate. Definitely a newer bigger camper and vehicles will not be purchased here because of the high sales tax not to mention the personal property tax.

As I said, in Bourbon County, the County Treasurer was not collecting all the taxes, fees and interest due the county. Some had not paid in 6 years. When this was discovered, nothing was done and she was voted out in the last election in Nov 2012 but remains in office until 1 Nov 2013. But, the county attorney and the Attorney General refused to enforce the laws. And, recently, over $20,000 disappeared from the County Clerk's office and someone was fired and this is supposedly being investigated but it will probably slide. All of these add more tax liability for the citizens and while I realize this was one county, the fact that the Attorney General didn't think it was a big deal pretty much says that it might not be that rare if he can shrug it off.

I truly believe that corruption is rampant here in the local governments and state government. It comes across like one palm greasing another when it comes to how things operate. Look at the percentage of people that actually vote.

Pretty much the law of the land in KS is keep it quiet and that is what happens here, sh............ we don't want anyone to know so that is why the posting is so limited here. They seem to think if people are attacked that they will become silent. Dream on.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Start here: Taxes by State When we were on the KS-MO border, we learned that taxes were much more reasonable in MO. A lot of the residents there go and do their shopping there, fill up with gas, etc. The gasoline tax had to be substantial here. Many of the residents do move into MO when they learn what a big difference there is. KS is probably the only state we have lived in that taxes food. And by the time you take the state sales tax, the county sales tax, the city sales tax and special assessments, it is really high. We have decided not to buy anything that we can do without until we relocate. Definitely a newer bigger camper and vehicles will not be purchased here because of the high sales tax not to mention the personal property tax.

As I said, in Bourbon County, the County Treasurer was not collecting all the taxes, fees and interest due the county. Some had not paid in 6 years. When this was discovered, nothing was done and she was voted out in the last election in Nov 2012 but remains in office until 1 Nov 2013. But, the county attorney and the Attorney General refused to enforce the laws. And, recently, over $20,000 disappeared from the County Clerk's office and someone was fired and this is supposedly being investigated but it will probably slide. All of these add more tax liability for the citizens and while I realize this was one county, the fact that the Attorney General didn't think it was a big deal pretty much says that it might not be that rare if he can shrug it off.

I truly believe that corruption is rampant here in the local governments and state government. It comes across like one palm greasing another when it comes to how things operate. Look at the percentage of people that actually vote.

Pretty much the law of the land in KS is keep it quiet and that is what happens here, sh............ we don't want anyone to know so that is why the posting is so limited here. They seem to think if people are attacked that they will become silent. Dream on.
OH NO! 20k embezzled? THE HORROR THAT IS KANSAS!

I grew up within 50miles of the Dixon, IL embezzlement of oh....20mil or so....that made national news last year.

KS falls pretty much dead center in terms of total tax burden. Missouri's total burden is lower. <shrug>

CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

It's utterly hilarious that you think the posting here is limited because people are trying to cover things up....when the reality is 180degrees the opposite. Posting anything positive gets you attacked and at one point it got so bad that we were told in a (now deleted post) that we should send PM's to people if we had positive things to say so as "not to cause fights".

I mean, you attack KS for having average taxes, an average number of registered sex offenders....lol....I await your complaints of other things where KS is just "average".

Old 08-10-2013, 11:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well duh. I am one of the people who can't stand people stereotyping Kansas because of the Wizard of Oz. I was merely taking a line from the movie "there's no place like home" and using it and referring to Dorothy because I was talking about Kansas. Your paragraph above is just ridiculous.
I agree with you. It seems you can't have any movie or drama that takes place in KS without having a tornado in the story.

Truths are, the last tornado to kill 100+ people was in MO, the last one before that was in MI, the state with the most tornado fatalities is TX and the state with the most tornado fatalities per square mile is MA!

My stereotypes of KS are of wide open spaces with "a beauty all their own", AM radio stations whose signals seem to carry forever, and people who incredibly vote Republican even though they are dirt poor.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
I agree with you. It seems you can't have any movie or drama that takes place in KS without having a tornado in the story.

Truths are, the last tornado to kill 100+ people was in MO, the last one before that was in MI, the state with the most tornado fatalities is TX and the state with the most tornado fatalities per square mile is MA!

My stereotypes of KS are of wide open spaces with "a beauty all their own", AM radio stations whose signals seem to carry forever, and people who incredibly vote Republican even though they are dirt poor.
I see your point clearly and agree with it.

But the reason they do that is a hold your nose and pick your poison scenario. The bizarre social engineering agenda of the fringe left that now controls the Democratic Party is worse - more objectionable than the Republican alliance with the rich who hold them upside down emptying their pockets like hasn't been seen in a hundred years.

They vote Republican because it is either that or don't vote at all.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 PM

Smile Excellent post,Mathguy--thank you

Quote:
OH NO! 20k embezzled? THE HORROR THAT IS KANSAS!

I grew up within 50miles of the Dixon, IL embezzlement of oh....20mil or so....that made national news last year.

KS falls pretty much dead center in terms of total tax burden. Missouri's total burden is lower. <shrug>

CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

It's utterly hilarious that you think the posting here is limited because people are trying to cover things up....when the reality is 180degrees the opposite. Posting anything positive gets you attacked and at one point it got so bad that we were told in a (now deleted post) that we should send PM's to people if we had positive things to say so as "not to cause fights".

I mean, you attack KS for having average taxes, an average number of registered sex offenders....lol....I await your complaints of other things where KS is just "average".
for sticking up for the state we love--everyone else can defend their state,but we Kansas-lovers get jumped on immediately for saying something positive about the state.I am wondering why that is--izzit just plain jealousy? Or ignorance??I don't get it,do you???Thanks again,though.Much appreciated

Old 08-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Default Just curious about something

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas