Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'd stay on the east coast. Once you cross the Mississippi River, you're in for culture shock no matter what. It is not easy for minorities of any sort here.
Have you ever lived in the KC Metro? Probably worth telling that to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
We don't have any Muslims that I know of in my tiny town. I've seen some wearing the head covering in Dodge City, but I don't know any more than that. Generally speaking the people in my tiny town judge individuals, not entire cultures, races, religions, etc. You might get a second look, but if you're nice to me I'll be nice to you.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'd stay on the east coast. Once you cross the Mississippi River, you're in for culture shock no matter what. It is not easy for minorities of any sort here.
That is absolutely NOT TRUE.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
We don't have any Muslims that I know of in my tiny town. I've seen some wearing the head covering in Dodge City, but I don't know any more than that. Generally speaking the people in my tiny town judge individuals, not entire cultures, races, religions, etc. You might get a second look, but if you're nice to me I'll be nice to you.
That's more of a rural thing than geographical. You can go to rural areas in northern Wisconsin and encounter the same thing. I think any medium to large metro area tends to be pretty homogenous these days.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
I think that it is fair to judge the people of Kansas by the type of leaders that they vote for and the actions of their fellow Kansans. Some research on Pompeo, Kobach, the removal of the Islam display from a school, the anti-Islam law signed by the governor, etc. will make it clear that a large number of Kansans have serious issues with the way they treat Muslims.
Kansas school surrenders to ignorance, removes Islam display
GOP Rep. Mike Pompeo: US Islamic Leaders Are ‘Potentially Complicit’ In Terrorist Acts | Mediaite
KS rep. equates Muslims, killers | CJOnline.com

Last edited by Sco; 10-29-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM

271 posts, read 458,768 times
Big cities you'll be fine, just like the east coast if not better, especially since the midwest is generally more "friendlier" than some cities in the east, i don't know if you notice but most of the hijab issue's are mostly in the east coast, at least that's what I notice in the news unfortunately.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think that it is fair to judge the people of Kansas by the type of leaders that they vote for and the actions of their fellow Kansans. Some research on Pompeo, Kobach, the removal of the Islam display from a school, the anti-Islam law signed by the governor, etc. will make it clear that a large number of Kansans have serious issues with the way they treat Muslims.
Kansas school surrenders to ignorance, removes Islam display
GOP Rep. Mike Pompeo: US Islamic Leaders Are ‘Potentially Complicit’ In Terrorist Acts | Mediaite
KS rep. equates Muslims, killers | CJOnline.com
Oh noes! They practically rounded them up and put them in a gulag!

So, do we condemn NY because of opposition to the muslim center at ground zero or the comments of their politicians and civic leaders etc?

Please

Again, the goal is to inform the lady about moving to the KC Metro and we have the usual hatchet jobs from the usual suspects.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
Big cities you'll be fine, just like the east coast if not better, especially since the midwest is generally more "friendlier" than some cities in the east, i don't know if you notice but most of the hijab issue's are mostly in the east coast, at least that's what I notice in the news unfortunately.
^^^Yep. But our regular KS bashes are more than willing to lie to someone seeking honest information which is sad.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 PM

5 posts, read 5,710 times
Default The Differences are what has made America strong.

I revel in the differences among us. There is always conversation about, for example, the headdress Muslim women wear, and as I was asked when I lived in Washington state, "Why dont you wear a cover for your hair?" Then a conversation has started and you find we have far more in common than different. I am 71 so ive been around the block a few times (and the world). its much easier to be friendly than to be otherwise.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,710 times
I revel in the differences among us. There is always conversation about, for example, the headdress Muslim women wear, and as I was asked when I lived in Washington state, "Why dont you wear a cover for your hair?" Then a conversation has started and you find we have far more in common than different. I am 71 so ive been around the block a few times (and the world). its much easier to be friendly than to be otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas