Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 PM

69 posts, read 159,122 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I was admitted to a graduate program at K-State this spring and need to move there in January. I will need my car and I have always wanted to do some sort of cross-country (I guess mid-country in this case) road trip, so my sister and I looking into the best routes.

Google maps tells me to go through Nevada, Utah, bit of Wyoming, and Colorado, but I'm guessing the weather in January might make that route unpleasant. Anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 PM

455 posts, read 771,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicagrace View Post
Hello all!

I was admitted to a graduate program at K-State this spring and need to move there in January. I will need my car and I have always wanted to do some sort of cross-country (I guess mid-country in this case) road trip, so my sister and I looking into the best routes.

Google maps tells me to go through Nevada, Utah, bit of Wyoming, and Colorado, but I'm guessing the weather in January might make that route unpleasant. Anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?

Thank you!

I've done the drive to Metro Kansas City from both The Bay Area and Orange County several times -- The trip is around 24-25 hours in the summer time if you go non-stop. I would definitely take the southern route which goes through Central CA - I-5 (Stockton), onto the I-40 around Needles, which will parallel RTE 66, you will get to drive through Arizona, New Mexico, a small bit of West TX, and the OK Panhandle. The desert areas are very pleasant in the winter time with lot's of nice places to take a break, grab a bite to eat and stretch your legs. I think you will enjoy driving this route out to K-State much more than driving through icy Utah, always windy Wyoming and the high altitudes and inconsistent terrain of the Rocky Mountains in January - and you won't have to worry about freezing to death while driving during the coldest month of the year.

Enjoy the trip and good luck!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Hello all!

Thank you!
Basically, there is the I-80 northern route that you have referenced and the southern route through Flagstaff and Albuquerque. I've made the trip a half-dozen times via the northern route and once by southern. All but one of the northern trips were in winter.

There are pros and cons to both, but I'm biased toward the northern route mainly because of my love of winter, snow, and winter scenery. The northern route is also almost 200 miles shorter unless you take the Tucumcari shortcut. I wouldn't.

In the winter, there is always the risk of being delayed by a heavy snowfall and that can happen on the southern route as well, just not as likely. But once you get over the Sierras, the risk is minimal. Chain controls and closures are a way of life in mountainous California, but rare on the rest of your trip. Just be sure to monitor the daily weather in advance and plan accordingly. Worst case scenario, barring a storm-of-the-century, is another night or two in a hotel beyond what you had planned. But that never happened to me until I hit Truckee, California.

Assuming your car is in good condition with a good heater and defroster, no need to worry about freezing to death. Much of the trip will likely be in bright sunshine, surrounded by the most awesome winter scenes you've ever seen.

Best of luck, whichever you choose.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:54 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The northern route is also almost 200 miles shorter unless you take the Tucumcari shortcut. I wouldn't.
I assume you are referring to U.S. 54 through TX and OK panhandle, Liberal, KS and on to Wichita. We drove it two years ago and it's not bad. Although it's almost entirely two lane, the traffic was not bad and if you need to pass somebody, hey, it's western Kansas, there ain't no mountains. I much prefer that route vs. I-70, especially in winter. (We were driving to Las Vegas).

If you are an "interstates only" type of person continue east on I-40 to Oklahoma City then take I-35 north to K-177.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM

My sister found a thread from some other forum saying that in winter, the best route is the shortest route and that the northern states are more equipped to handle problems compared to the southwest states that see less snow. Do you guys think that makes sense?

Old 11-15-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
My sister found a thread from some other forum saying that in winter, the best route is the shortest route and that the northern states are more equipped to handle problems compared to the southwest states that see less snow. Do you guys think that makes sense?
Well, the shortest route certainly makes some sense, but I'm not sure the northern states being better equipped is a factor I'd give much weight to. Since heavy snowfall is more likely north, that might be a wash.

I would go the northern route simply because it is more direct and, more importantly, more awesome geographically IMO. Chances are you will have no weather problems and, if you plan ahead, winter driving is nothing to fear. Just be sure you know what the weather is ahead of you....so easy today compared to when I first drove that route 40 years ago....and don't drive into a heavy snowstorm. But having said that, the one time I unknowingly did exactly that between Cheyenne and Laramie on my first trip was an adventure I'll never forget and full of memories I treasure.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 AM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well, the shortest route certainly makes some sense, but I'm not sure the northern states being better equipped is a factor I'd give much weight to. Since heavy snowfall is more likely north, that might be a wash.

I would go the northern route simply because it is more direct and, more importantly, more awesome geographically IMO. Chances are you will have no weather problems and, if you plan ahead, winter driving is nothing to fear. Just be sure you know what the weather is ahead of you....so easy today compared to when I first drove that route 40 years ago....and don't drive into a heavy snowstorm. But having said that, the one time I unknowingly did exactly that between Cheyenne and Laramie on my first trip was an adventure I'll never forget and full of memories I treasure.
Agreed.

I-80 is pretty much your best bet. All the interstates coming out of California are major truck routes but I-80 is especially busy. Regarding weather, like everyone has said here, make sure your car is road worthy. Carry extra flashlights, blankets, a couple coats, etc. Like CrownVic95 said the Wyoming stretch of I-80 has nasty winds at times. I give a lot of credit to the road workers who keep these roads cleared. And from personal experience regarding storms, spending an extra night in a motel beats being stranded on a closed highway. Be safe and good luck.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Alright, it sounds like I-80 is the best way to go then. We're likely leaving on a Friday and I don't have orientation until that next Wednesday, so we'll keep an eye out for weather and plan accordingly. Do you guys think I should invest in snow chains at all?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Alright, it sounds like I-80 is the best way to go then. We're likely leaving on a Friday and I don't have orientation until that next Wednesday, so we'll keep an eye out for weather and plan accordingly. Do you guys think I should invest in snow chains at all?
No....they're lots more trouble than they're worth.

Just be prepared to adjust your day of departure in the event of chain controls over Donner Summit. Again, it is not likely, because there are lots more days without them than with them.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Great, thanks for all the helpful information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas