Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 AM

27 posts, read 61,611 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I would be moving to Topeka in the next couple of months. i would like to know the current news in the city.I have 2 children(10 and 8).My husband got a job in Topeka but am a bit worried about the crime rate.Moreso,school is very important to us.
Any suggestions is really appreciated.
Also i would like to know which is better Wichita or Topeka?and why?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM

someone plssssssssss help

Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 PM

1,829 posts, read 3,163,023 times
For Topeka news, go to the WIBW channel 13 page, or the Topeka Cap Journal. Kind of have to be careful about where you live in Topeka. There are areas with less crime. Keep things locked up well. I have never lived in Topeka, but I know many who do and they love it. Not too far from Topeka, there are many things to do as well. Driving into Kansas City only takes about an hour. Lawrence is 30 minutes away. Manhattan is about an hour.

Wichita is far larger than Topeka, but both cities seem to have similarities. Wichita always seemed like a larger version of Topeka. I used to do some work there. I would pick Topeka because of the proximity to other cities and, geographically, Topeka is more interesting as it is on the edge of the Flint Hills. Wichita is very flat. Wichita is a nice city though.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,708,061 times
I'm sorry if I offend the locals but Topeka isn't much to look at. To me it always looks sort run down and junky. Wichita is marginally better. IMO Kansas City and Lawrence are, by far the nicest cities in the region.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 PM

20 posts, read 29,529 times
I lived in Topeka for 3 years while I attended Washburn University. It is as safe as any other town. I would recommend living outside of the I70 / 470 loop. Depending what price you're looking for, West and East Topeka are nice. Look at 29th through 6th Street, west of Wanamaker for the West side. On the East side, Shawnee Lake is really nice as well. If you don't mind driving, Silver Lake and Rossville are nice areas too. I would stay out of the Topeka Public Schools. It's not that they're bad, but you have better options with Washburn-Rural.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 AM

Thank you everyone for your response.
Like i said in original post , school is very important to us.can anyone please suggest how to go about school rating.
Do you think Topeka will be okay for someone like me from Europe?how do they view blacks?
I read somewhere that Topeka is an old town?PLS can someone tell me what that mean.
Lastly,what do you think of Overland Park?
Thanks.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 PM

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Kindly offer suggestions.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayforward2012 View Post
Thank you everyone for your response.
Like i said in original post , school is very important to us.can anyone please suggest how to go about school rating.
Do you think Topeka will be okay for someone like me from Europe?how do they view blacks?
I read somewhere that Topeka is an old town?PLS can someone tell me what that mean.
Lastly,what do you think of Overland Park?
Thanks.
Overland Park is better than Topeka across the board.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 PM

1,829 posts, read 3,163,023 times
I believe the website called Greatschools.com (not sure if that is exactly right) will have some school rating info. They use a scale of 1 to 10.

Where are you from in Europe? Topeka, like much of Kansas has the following ancestry (no particular order): Germans, Irish, Hispanic, Blacks, Scottish, American Indian, English, and more.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,926,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayforward2012 View Post
Hi everyone,
I would be moving to Topeka in the next couple of months. i would like to know the current news in the city.I have 2 children(10 and 8).My husband got a job in Topeka but am a bit worried about the crime rate.Moreso,school is very important to us.
Any suggestions is really appreciated.
Also i would like to know which is better Wichita or Topeka?and why?
Thanks
Westboro is a very nice established neighborhood in Topeka. McFarland Farm is a very nice, newer subdivision. And College Hill, near Washburn University, seems like a decent older and modest neighborhood. I'm not sure how the public schools are in any of those areas though. I think the typical suburban crowd and beige part of Topeka is the southwest section and that area is probably considered as having the best public schools.

As for Wichita, it's much larger and a more complete city with many different types of areas, though it's not a huge city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas