Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 11:45 PM

111 posts, read 243,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Indiana is flatter than Kansas? Hmm. I always here how flat Kansas is.

I live in a town of less than 1000. We have one convenience store (NOT open all night), one small grocery store, a pizza place and a diner. You'd die here! I love it here. I don't think I could stand to live anywhere else. Modern? What's so special about "modern"? Why not appreciate rustic? Yes, many of our houses are old, small, and not upgraded. They still have their memories for their families to enjoy. In fact, we are actually way ahead in the " micro" houses! LOL! We have had people move to this town thinking they were going to show us rednecks life is supposed to be lived. They move

I'm going to be brutally honest here, chele, and I wish that things weren't this way, but they are. That attitude is part of the reason for the decline IMO. When my family and I moved to Kansas from a large metro area, 4 million plus people, we were not welcomed. We didn't try to tell people how to live, we just were seen as outsiders. People are moving out of rural Kansas A LOT faster than people are moving in, and that is not good for the economy, such as businesses will lose customers, and eventually those will go out of business. People don't worry about anything in America until something eventually goes wrong. Such as a car. Many people don't take there car to get serviced as often as they should, or get their oil changed as often as they should, and they don't worry about a thing as long as it keeps on running. Then when it won't start, they panic and it's to late for action without a LOAD of cash, and that's what happens to economies as well.

What's wrong with rustic? Easy answer: It doesn't appeal to young people. Young people are the driving force of an economy, and young people are Americas future. Young people in rural Kansas are moving out A LOT faster than young people are moving in. You might feel comfortable in your small town and feel like you have everything that you'll ever need, which is an ok mindset to have. What will happen though when your convenience store closes its doors, and the grocery store closes shortly after that? Will you still not worry about anything?

I'm not saying that will happen to your town at all, because I've probably never been to your town. But there are hundreds of ghost towns in Kansas and when I lived there I remember passing through plenty of small cities that have abandoned main streets and have completely died after the prime of railroads.

Last edited by MackOnMack; 07-05-2014 at 11:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithuvanian View Post
Lower population density is likely a contributor, because it means less of a tax base to support necessary infrastructure. Another observation is that Kansas seems to have a self-image problem, owing to its reputation for blandness and far right politics that make it a convenient whipping post for the national media. Along with that, industrial farming has largely sucked away a traditional source of Kansas pride and economic livelihood, and all of that combined makes rural Kansas unnatractive for many young people, hence the shrinking population in many rural counties. Corn belt states (ie Iowa, Indiana) are also dependent on the ag-industrial complex, but their main crop is even more of an economic juggernaut than Kansas wheat, if only because of government subsidies.

Were I a Kansas legislator, or lobbyist, I would be exploring ways to put Kansas at the forefront of the local farm movement that is gaining traction in some parts of the country. That could be a boon to the state's image and lure the right kind of young people back.

This is a great answer to my questions, I was not aware that was going on and I just looked up a few articles over this. Very interesting. Young people are what's important for building future economies and it seems that many politicians fail to realize this.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:38 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times
This is a more general article on rural America, but it makes some good points.

Is rural America struggling? Rural population decline reflects impact of recession - Farm and Dairy

Old 07-06-2014, 01:03 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackOnMack View Post
I'm going to be brutally honest here, chele, and I wish that things weren't this way, but they are. That attitude is part of the reason for the decline IMO. When my family and I moved to Kansas from a large metro area, 4 million plus people, we were not welcomed. We didn't try to tell people how to live, we just were seen as outsiders. People are moving out of rural Kansas A LOT faster than people are moving in, and that is not good for the economy, such as businesses will lose customers, and eventually those will go out of business. People don't worry about anything in America until something eventually goes wrong. Such as a car. Many people don't take there car to get serviced as often as they should, or get their oil changed as often as they should, and they don't worry about a thing as long as it keeps on running. Then when it won't start, they panic and it's to late for action without a LOAD of cash, and that's what happens to economies as well.

What's wrong with rustic? Easy answer: It doesn't appeal to young people. Young people are the driving force of an economy, and young people are Americas future. Young people in rural Kansas are moving out A LOT faster than young people are moving in. You might feel comfortable in your small town and feel like you have everything that you'll ever need, which is an ok mindset to have. What will happen though when your convenience store closes its doors, and the grocery store closes shortly after that? Will you still not worry about anything?

I'm not saying that will happen to your town at all, because I've probably never been to your town. But there are hundreds of ghost towns in Kansas and when I lived there I remember passing through plenty of small cities that have abandoned main streets and have completely died after the prime of railroads.
You get it! I don't see any possibility of drawing young people to KS. A few come into the bigger cities for jobs but other than that, I just don't see it happening. The people in the towns don't see the town dying around them since it is usually a slower process and it is their reality. There are two towns in SE KS right where it looks like the hospitals will close and they'll just have a clinic and both seem to realize the problem this will be in retaining and gaining residents.

There are jobs here. Right now, I know a company that is seeking 4 maintenance engineers and can't fill the slots(they do e-verify and require HS education/GED). KS has relied on illegal labor to keep wages down but now with technology increasing at every level, these uneducated workers can't really can't fit the bill and the wages aren't attractive enough to draw people from other states. Taxes are EXTREMELY high, both personal property and real estate. Properties are depressed and dare you make improvements, you may not be able to pay the tax increase. What I have seen is that often, the downtown buildings are owned by an individual hoping to capitalize on them some time in the future and rents are high and little effort is put into maintaining them. Slum lords abound without being touched by city code officers.

"Change" is a four-letter word in KS. Without "change"........................

Old 07-06-2014, 02:18 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,419 times
That's just it Mack. I don't care. If you don't like it here, leave. When I didn't like it in your 4mil city, I left. I don't want your HOA's, I don't want your uppity attitudes. You're not talking to some redneck that has never seen the world, I've lived all over.

What happens here when the convenience store closes? Same thing that happens there, another one was built. Big deal.

Children are our future, and they are being raised right, right here. Many of our kids come back too, because they want to raise their children here. Take your high falutin' preaching somewhere else. Not accepted here? That could be why. I moved here in '97, no trouble fitting in.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:58 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
That's just it Mack. I don't care. If you don't like it here, leave. When I didn't like it in your 4mil city, I left. I don't want your HOA's, I don't want your uppity attitudes. You're not talking to some redneck that has never seen the world, I've lived all over.

What happens here when the convenience store closes? Same thing that happens there, another one was built. Big deal.

Children are our future, and they are being raised right, right here. Many of our kids come back too, because they want to raise their children here. Take your high falutin' preaching somewhere else. Not accepted here? That could be why. I moved here in '97, no trouble fitting in.

The epicenter of America's demise is in the "4mil cities", a sad fact lost on today's youth. Good post. +1

Old 07-06-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:

I'm not living there anymore read before you post. How can I take someone's opinion seriously if it's not educationally written and if you've missed some of what I said? Also continue to live in denial I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here that's to much effort. And no problem fitting in, chele? I'm SURE that's what you think, little do you know what's being said about you. I don't even know you and that's more likely than not a fact. If you get personal with me I will fire back.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:55 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,419 times
Mack, reading for comprehension is a quality trait, and you quite clearly informed me you were "going to be brutally honest" then went on to criticise my attitude. No need to play the "you started it" game with me.

I'm telling YOU. I. Don't. Care. Yes, I did indeed understand you don't live here, good. You don't like it here, leave us alone. Most of "you" come to this forum to bash Kansas without a single interesting thing to contribute. TOS violation
I don't care what state you live in, it has problems at least as big as any Kansas has.
I don't care how big your city is, it has problems equal to or worse than any city/town in Kansas.
I don't care if you like me, or that you think I don't measure up to your expectations scholastically.

This is my state, I love it here, and I will defend it.

As for what is being said about me? Seriously, that's not only a low blow far beneath an educated person such as yourself, but an unwarranted personal attack.

Funny thing about small town SW Kansas. It is full of generous and caring people. I've been a volunteer firefighter for 14 years, and was a volunteer EMT for almost 6. I've given to my community, and my community has given back when I needed it most. This is what big city people just don't understand. So you enjoy your city, I'll enjoy my town, and we can just avoid each other.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-06-2014 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Mack, reading for comprehension is a quality trait, and you quite clearly informed me you were "going to be brutally honest" then went on to criticise my attitude. No need to play the "you started it" game with me.

I'm telling YOU. I. Don't. Care. Yes, I did indeed understand you don't live here, good. You don't like it here, leave us alone. Most of "you" come to this forum to bash Kansas without a single interesting thing to contribute. It's only permitted here on this forum because we have a "moderator" that hates the majority of the state also.

I don't care what state you live in, it has problems at least as big as any Kansas has.
I don't care how big your city is, it has problems equal to or worse than any city/town in Kansas.
I don't care if you like me, or that you think I don't measure up to your expectations scholastically.

This is my state, I love it here, and I will defend it.

As for what is being said about me? Seriously, that's not only a low blow far beneath an educated person such as yourself, but an unwarranted personal attack.

Funny thing about small town SW Kansas. It is full of generous and caring people. I've been a volunteer firefighter for 14 years, and was a volunteer EMT for almost 6. I've given to my community, and my community has given back when I needed it most. This is what big city people just don't understand. So you enjoy your city, I'll enjoy my town, and we can just avoid each other.

Ok, sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas