Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 02:22 PM

15 posts, read 12,668 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Oregon/Washington area in a several weeks and I want to buy a new (maybe used) car. And sell my old one that is acting up.

I am facing problems.

- I cannot use my current address in Kansas, because I will be moving out within a month.
- I still don't know my new address in my new state.
- I don't want to register a car and pay over $1000 in Kansas sales tax if I will be only very briefly in this state.

Anyone has a suggestion on how to proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
30 day temp tag from a dealer.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM

15 posts, read 12,668 times
Thank you. What if I buy that car from a private party?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:21 PM

I think you can get a 30 day tag from DMV or a dealer can sell you one. (About $15)

Old 07-03-2014, 01:52 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Could you sell your car and rent one for the trip to your new location and buy a vehicle once you get there? That might be easier. Cops seem to like to stop people with the paper tags. I wouldn't like driving across the country with them, it's a good excuse for a traffic stop too. And even a 30 tag they will want an address for your paperwork and such. If you can't or don't want to use your current Kansas address and don't have a new address in your new state yet, that could be a problem.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 AM

Ok, I've thought more about this. I am assuming you currently own a car and you would transfer your KS tags to the new vehicle if you were goinng to remain in Kansas. And you currently have a KS address, even if you plan to move from that address the day after you buy the car. The only fly in the ointment is how long you legally have in KS to register the new car and transfer the tags, which I could not find on the KS DMV website.

Anyway, buy the car. If from a private party, be sure to get a dated bill of sale. Put your current KS address on any paperwork. Put your old tags on new car. Leave for your new home, when you get there register car in that state. If by chance you would get stopped on the way, explain you just purchased the car and will be transferring the tags. They don't need to know you're moving. If you have the title and bill of sale, I would think that's sufficient. If you sell your old car, if you've got any paperwork to prove it, show them that.

Anyway, I think that would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: