U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 01:07 PM

33 posts, read 42,576 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Me and my husband are looking to move to the topeka area within a week or two and I'm requesting some assistance. My husband has a job offer already, and we're currently in the process of packing. His job is in topeka, but from what he's read,it doesn't look like the nicest areas of living. We're open to a lot of areas outside of topeka, but we don't know any areas that are decent inside topeka. Are there any apts or homes in topeka that are in a nice area of town so we know roughly where to look?We don't have any kiddos, but we are..let me rephrase that, he is young lol. We're not partiers or drinkers. Basically what I'm trying to look for is a place, either house or apt to rent, at or around 550/month unless utilities are included then it can go up a little. We need either a two bedroom or a 1 bedroom with storage closet. My husband would love a garage or basement so he can do his woodworking. Our problem is, we currently have no pets or kids and it's driving me crazy lol I want a dog of 30lbs and washer/dryer or at least hookups and those two things seem to be a luxury. We found two apt complexes worth a second look Montara and The Oaks at Canterbury. The oaks seem to be our main one to look at, as it has everything we want, but we haven't been able to drive down and take a look yet and won't be able to until we have our moving truck. Are there any areas street wise to avoid? I've heard the west is good, but any streets to not even bother with? Craigslist doesn't seem to have much right now and I tried telling my husband that the areas we're looking just might not post there and might have signs in yards instead. I know we have a few towns here that are like that, don't know if that's true for kansas or not.
Any help at all would be highly appreciated, thank you =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 03:47 PM

889 posts, read 1,428,099 times
In what part of town would your husband's job be located? I ask because your second choice, Oaks at Canterbury, seems to be in Ottawa, which would be about a 45-minute commute.

I see nothing outwardly wrong with the location of your first choice. When I lived in Topeka 15 years ago (near 29th/Fairlawn), west/southwest was best, and anything with an E., SE. or NE. address was to be avoided.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:26 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Have you searched the KS forum for "Topeka"? If you use the search function, you'll bring up a lot of previous discussions that might help you. Many people do commute into Topeka from smaller towns although it could be difficult to find something to rent but might be worth a shot. I would check the websites for real estate, local ones as some of them might be listing rentals and you could pick one and email them and see if they can help. I think even realtor.com and maybe it was Zillow or Trulia also listed rentals when I was poking around looking at what info they had on those websites. Also, if you run "crimes in Topeka KS" in a search engine, it will give you some idea of where to avoid. I like Topeka but probably wouldn't live there. We live 50 miles south and we have people who do commute into Topeka for better paying jobs. Good luck! Lots of things to do and see in Topeka.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:39 PM

4,533 posts, read 2,301,265 times
I live in sw Topeka, it's the middle class to wealthy part of town. Anything west of Wanamaker is good, anything between gage and Wanamaker is decent to good, with a few pockets of wealthy areas. Don't live anywhere near billard airport or east of downtown. West of downtown near and around Washburn can be very bad to some good neighborhoods all within a few blocks. Downtown is mostly dead, but has a few interesting businesses and restaurants. I personally would try to find somewhere between Westboro and Washburn, lots of neat old houses in that area and close to some interesting places.

Topeka gets a worse rep then it deserves, but in all honesty its a pretty boring city.

It's been a long time since I've rented, but I don't see you being able to rent a home for $550/mo in desirable locations. A week or 2 isn't much time to find a place.

You can look here, I've never lived here or know anything about it, but they accept dogs and its in your price range. Plus it's across the street from gage park which is nice. Maybe a backup plan if you dont find anything else. http://m.apartmentguide.com/apartmen...rtments/33728/

Old 07-26-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
In what part of town would your husband's job be located? I ask because your second choice, Oaks at Canterbury, seems to be in Ottawa, which would be about a 45-minute commute.

I see nothing outwardly wrong with the location of your first choice. When I lived in Topeka 15 years ago (near 29th/Fairlawn), west/southwest was best, and anything with an E., SE. or NE. address was to be avoided.
His job will be where us75 and 24 meet, he's aware of how long the commute will be but that's our only option with a few surrounding areas. I know we're also looking at Kansas City, and Olathe but there doesn't seem to be too much in Olathe =(
Thank you for giving me a heads up on what sides of town to avoid though, that helps narrow it down

Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 PM

You can look here, I've never lived here or know anything about it, but they accept dogs and its in your price range. Plus it's across the street from gage park which is nice. Maybe a backup plan if you dont find anything else. Chalet Apartments Apartments - Topeka, KS 66606 | Apartments for Rent[/quote]

We actually just looked them up this afternoon lol however, when we went to call them we saw that apartment guide was wrong and they are really far out of our price range =( there was a lot apartment finder, apartment guide, and realtor.com was wrong on. Kinda makes it difficult
Thank you very much though for letting me know what to avoid, I really appreciate it

Old 07-28-2014, 01:15 PM

4,533 posts, read 2,301,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwissman View Post
His job will be where us75 and 24 meet, he's aware of how long the commute will be but that's our only option with a few surrounding areas. I know we're also looking at Kansas City, and Olathe but there doesn't seem to be too much in Olathe =(
Thank you for giving me a heads up on what sides of town to avoid though, that helps narrow it down
You might look into Silver Lake, Rossville, and St. Marys as well. I put them in order of time to your job. They are all nice little towns on highway 24.

Where you live is your choice, but I don't see the economical reason for living in KC when your rent budget is $550/mo. Housing will most likely be more expensive plus you will have the commute which will get expensive, remember its a toll road as well. The nice towns in Johnson County will be more expensive such as Olathe, Overland Park, etc. KCKS is getting better, but it's not much different then Topeka.

I'd probably recommend upping your budget a little bit, or choosing a not so nice place to start with. Once you get to know the area better, move to a better location. Maybe even try to find a room to rent in a house for a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or