Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,819 times

Advertisements

Hi
I live in Denver now but I'm from Kansas. No it's the best but I still love it. It's diverse and that's one of it's great things. Depending on income I recomend Soutwind southdivision. If that's not an option, there are several established neigborhoods that are good and safe. I like Kenneth Henderson Middle School so the area around there is nice. I like that Middle school better than Abe Hubert..the Inermediate Centers were nice when I was there. The zoo and the pool are great for the kids in the summer. The high school has a lot of students, I think as long as they stay busy in sports or clubs they are good. I went to Christian Bible Church which is across KHMS, is a good church but are others that are nice too. Over all the town is small and friendly. I never did see a tornado...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:12 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,609,169 times
I know many people that live in Scott City (n. of GC 35 mi) and work in GC. The schools are MUCH safer than GC and SC has a great Bap. church. Many people in SC do their major shopping in GC, but there is 2 groc. stores, soon to be 2 discount stores (Alco, Pamida). As far as dining in SC, there is Subway, Wendys, Pizz Hut, Dairy Queen, a family mex. restaurant and a nice, somewhat "up-scale" restaurant.

Holcomb is nice and closer, which is both good and bad. It's probably not any closer to Wal-Mart, Sears, etc than SC.

Good luck

Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 PM

6 posts, read 34,062 times
Well I did like Scott City, and I also liked Cimarron when I was out there for my visit. I heard all this talk about Holcomb, but I was not impressed at all. There was new housing going up and the school looked nice, but the rest of the town was a disapointment. It seemed run down and really like of trashy. I wish I would of made it all the way to the lake at Scott City, but I didn't. Our neighborhoods are more like the north side of Cimmaron around here. Our problem is that we couldn't find anything to rent out in the scott city or Cimmaron area. I probably called about 20 people when I was out there and maybe got 1/2 of that in return calls. The houses I did see were decent in price we saw from $545 to $400's but they were dumps. The walls of the houses needed painting, no yards, and really run down and old.. so we need to find something a little nicer. From what I could gather is that buying a house is cheaper than renting and much nicer. It is almost as if the residents would rather have people be a permant fixture instead of a temporary one. It only took about 6.5 hours to drive out there and was really a nice drive. It was nice to see a great view and no traffic, I would also say the sunrise and sunsets were much prettier than here in Missouri. The people I did meet were very friendly and helpful. We are still in the process of looking for house. Thanks for all the help..

Old 02-17-2008, 10:56 AM

10,156 posts, read 11,122,546 times
Cimmaron is a dead town - My Sister In Law lives there.

There's not a darn thing to do either....

You would either have to drive to Garden City or Dodge City to shop...

Old 02-20-2008, 11:15 PM

7 posts, read 31,578 times
I used to live in Holcomb. My sister lives in Garden City along with the rest of my family. Rent is pretty high in Garden City. My sister was renting an itty bitty one bedroom house for two years and after sitting down one day and calculating it. After the rent she spent on that, she'd be halfway to owning her own home. So she got a HUD home. I was going to move in with her to start my life over. But I couldn't find a job cuz I didn't know a bit of spanish. About all I can say about schools is Holcomb is the bet for a good school, and that Abe Hubert Middle School is better than Kennith Henderson Middle School, my best friend works as a para in KH and she's desperately trying to get transferred to AH. As for the Clutter Murders.. The people that killed them had just gotten out of prison, one was from up around the Kansas City Area.. and I can't remember where the other came from. But a former inmate had worked for the Clutters and told one of the killers that they had a safe with thousands of dollars in the house. Thanks to that my grandpa can say he was a suspect in a murder.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 34,062 times
Well Cimmaron might be dead for a person that is looking for lots to do, but you have to realize that when you live in rural areas that is part of life. Driving to Garden City for shopping isn't a big deal at all. People do it everday, and when you might be working in that area, just plan ahead and do shopping before you come home.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:16 AM

10,156 posts, read 11,122,546 times
Oh I do realize -

Coming from Living in NY - To KS. I realized....

Basically - there's no shopping. Yes, walmart, target and a few other small stores.

I use to drive 2:20 minutes to Wichita to do some real shopping.

My Kids needed a better future with more to offer - SW KS offered nothing.

Good Luck...

Old 03-14-2008, 01:45 AM

24 posts, read 86,257 times
I personally wouldn't suggest Holcomb. I would live in Lakin which is about 15 minutes or so away. Holcomb is really close to the Tyson cattle slaughterhouse. Not the smell you want to live with if the wind is drifting the wrong way in my opinion. Garden City is pretty for a small town. I was only there a short time and left, but rent is cheap and the college appeared to be really nice.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 100,711 times
Garden city a nice place beside the smell local gangs inculde sureno 18st tsv bpg bpm bpv bps nortenos westside aztecs es mcb young crowd tiny winos wildlife the gangs of east garden are tsv bpm bpg bpv bps mcb young crown wildlife the others are from the west of town there a lot of gang fights but not with guns every once in awhile gangs will have shootouts. The cemetary in garden city is valley view gang membersgraves are commonly covered with bandannas of the gang color. For a small town garden city has a lot of gangs kh middle school is filled with drugusers and gangs. The school was on tv for a drug bust. Every race gets along great you should stay out of towns, east garden village, h&h, prarie wind also even though its decent gangs are tagging everything over there. Every single school there has a mexican majority.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM

22 posts, read 69,237 times
There's a high level of racial harmony for a place as diverse as Garden City is. Gang problems are mostly a statistical annoyance if you live far from the lower-income parts of town. I live in SW garden, which is generally considered the ghetto part of town, and I've only had two occurence which could be considered incidents.

The first one was rather funny...my friend came to visit and parked his car (a tuner) on the curb instead of the driveway. He left at 4am on a Saturday morning and sometime between when he arrived and when he left, someone had thrown two eggs at it. Probably some crazy bored kids, but nevertheless it was annoying.

Also, once I left my car out on the curb unlocked and in the morning - the quarters and pennies I leave in the change slots were gone. I was out about $2.50 Nothing was done to the car. The times that I've left my car unlocked on the driveway, nothing has happened. Again, doubt it was gang activity. But it probably wouldn't have happened in other parts of town.

My advice: If you're gonna move here (or anywhere with a low-income population for that manner), just use common sense. Though you probably won't get mugged if you walk around an unfamiliar area sporting jewelry or a nice coat... you're still better off not doing it.

And of course, never get involved with gangs. Gang members usually only attack each other. If they have no business with you, you should have no business with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas