U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:37 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,011,971 times

Advertisements

Don't make the mistake that we did when returning to Kansas. Even if you find a good school program for children with developmental disabilities (slim pickings), you'll end up facing our substitute for Medicaid - for profit care. It is a disaster. It was bad enough that we had tried 3 day programs, one was fraught with ANE, I learned that unless it qualified as "severe" nothing was done, one just let him sit and play wii, another was a workshop that just let him sit and he hid in the bathroom to avoid the break room (good reason) even at lunch which I had to learn the hard way after he had to endure it for 6 months. During that time of "socialization" - what a joke - he stopped speaking and a year later I am just beginning to get him to say one word at a time. So, with this change to for-profit services, although we planned to retire to Salina, KS, our plan we made over 30 years ago, we are beyond fed up with the state of the state. Here is an article that can help one understand why they don't want to be a part of for-profit services: Parents dissatisfied with KanCare, speak out at forum | Local News - Home Now, not only the contractors handling the direct care are not living up to their contracts with the state but they have been joined by KanCare (actually, Kan't Care). You can get absolutely no where in this state since they all seem to be connected at the hip. I noticed that previous state workers have managed, some how, to land jobs with the private contractor which is sort of interesting but not at all surprising.

We can blame KanCare on the governor since he thought it was the answer to all the questions about services for people with disabilities. They have grouped both the "disabled" and "aging" into one agency now. The CDDOs were established in the 60's here by Congress and who would be surprised that the system would not be working more than 50 years later. They have also dumped people with mental illness from institutions in the programs for people with developmental disabilities and I am not speaking of dual-diagnosis.

It is a sad situation in KS. The things I have seen and learned are just terrible but the fact that I could find no one that cared one way or the other is unspeakable. People without souls just sitting on their butts with their feet under the desk waiting for retirement!

I am posting in as many places as I can to help those here have time to get out and keep others from coming and suffering the fate that others are now suffering. People with developmental disabilities will die waiting for care, for appeals, for lawsuits and no one will care. Ah, but I believe in Hell and that gives me peace, the old you reap what you sow. Really, people who work denying care to those that need it..............no soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 06:26 AM

This explains why they chose the insurance companies that they did and I'm guessing it goes much deeper than this: Former Lawmaker: FBI Investigating KanCare Contracts I have noticed that the companies "picked up" some former government employees also. You got to wonder how many hands.............

Old 10-03-2014, 11:15 AM

10,327 posts, read 10,346,714 times
I feel for you. I thought all the care was going to hell in Ks. I am Legal Guardian for a chronic Paranoid Schizophrenic and when he was at Osawatomie he had very good care(late 90's). I here it now takes 3 months to get an appointment with a Psychiatrist.

Actually i think they want to run anyone with a disability out of the state.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:34 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,580,700 times
I'm sorry you've had this awful experience. Yes, it's the fault of Brownback and the state legislature, and now they're wanting to extend it to Medicare. If the Republicans are in control of both houses next year, the healthcare compact will almost surely be approved, and Medicare will also be gutted. By "gutted", I mean just what AnywhereElse has described above.

This can be stopped at the ballot this November, both in our state and in federal elections. Please don't let this continue.We are not yet on Medicare, but it's closing in, and we will leave the state to avoid this debacle of a plan.

Sam Brownback touts himself as a devout and committed Christian. Devout and committed Hypocrite is more like it. To deny people with disabilities access to uninterrupted care is unconscionable.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:47 PM

50 posts, read 84,822 times
hey anywhere else, i have a relative who is developmentally disabled. through the blessings of god his parents have him in their home. i pray i will be able to take him in when that time comes. institutionalization is necessary at some point for a lot folks, i recognize that.
state care in the 90's is all that i have experience with. usually it was 4 to 6 individuals with maybe one of them being a completely bedridden individual. mtv or bet videos were played all afternoon, i don't know if regular cable plays music anymore but we all enjoyed it and maybe its as good as video games?
there was a split of the patients though, regular sized folks would be placed in the house with a bed ridden "vegetable", [hate to use that term but i don't know another way to get the point across], so that the attendants would only have one mission critical patient to change the tubes for. they lived in a house of groups of four to six.
if there was two strong males of above average strength there would be a two man house, with a higher paid staff because they had to be a football player size attendant.
schizophrenia is a spectrum of disorders. a general term like asthma. if your doctor tells you, "you have asthma ," that could mean a lot of things.
individuals who had schizophrenia sever enough to be institutionalized were kept alone, equivalent of solitary confinement. that was not necessary, and solitary confinement is a bad way to go anyway.
there was huge problems doing it the old way, just imagine how many individuals need 24/7 care. do you think your son would get better care in new york or california? please send us more of the world's disabled. kansas can bear any burden.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:40 PM

51,876 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Wow. You guys really believe this is how things are JUST in KS?

Please move then report back.

It's a national shame.

P.S. I'm also a co-caregiver of a special needs kid. And oh yeah, my buddy is too and he *gasp* actually MOVED his ward here from out of state to MO and then from MO to KS after that.
#Facts FTW.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs1 View Post
hey anywhere else, i have a relative who is developmentally disabled. through the blessings of god his parents have him in their home. i pray i will be able to take him in when that time comes. institutionalization is necessary at some point for a lot folks, i recognize that.
state care in the 90's is all that i have experience with. usually it was 4 to 6 individuals with maybe one of them being a completely bedridden individual. mtv or bet videos were played all afternoon, i don't know if regular cable plays music anymore but we all enjoyed it and maybe its as good as video games?
there was a split of the patients though, regular sized folks would be placed in the house with a bed ridden "vegetable", [hate to use that term but i don't know another way to get the point across], so that the attendants would only have one mission critical patient to change the tubes for. they lived in a house of groups of four to six.
if there was two strong males of above average strength there would be a two man house, with a higher paid staff because they had to be a football player size attendant.
schizophrenia is a spectrum of disorders. a general term like asthma. if your doctor tells you, "you have asthma ," that could mean a lot of things.
individuals who had schizophrenia sever enough to be institutionalized were kept alone, equivalent of solitary confinement. that was not necessary, and solitary confinement is a bad way to go anyway.
there was huge problems doing it the old way, just imagine how many individuals need 24/7 care. do you think your son would get better care in new york or california? please send us more of the world's disabled. kansas can bear any burden.
I committed a man with chronic Paranoid Schizophrenia to Osawatomie State Hospital and he was never in solitary. At that time it was a fantastic hospital. Late 90's.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:16 AM

What the MCO is now doing is limiting case management services and I believe the intent is to eliminate them so that the MCO has the whole deal under their control. Many individuals with developmental disabilities, mental health issues, etc. have only a case manager that advocates for them. Case managers are local people who have a relationship with their clients/consumers and when they disappear or are forced to "donate" their time so the MCOs can turn a profit, that is when it will be a very sad situation. While I support Brownback's stand on abortion, what about the preserving the lives of people that are already here? I could not help but think that this will approach "death panel" status for people like my son.

On the services that are being cut or reduced, the federal government contributes 60% and the state 40%. So, reducing cost by $100,000, while savings the KS government $40,000, eliminates $60,000 from coming in from the federal government. And, yes, we pay into the federal government tax system also but these cuts will reduce reimbursements to providers, eliminate/reduce hours of employees, etc. so there is a cost which I have yet see discussed.

The MCO we are trying to deal with is just a lost cause. And, yes, I am trying to get the word out and documenting everything. Although I contact the governor's office, I have not had a response from that office since the first quarter of the year he began serving (term used loosely) KS.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 10-07-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 02:09 PM

I just read an article and this throwing the people with disabilities under the bus in the name of saving a buck is "Kansas Governor Brownback" at his best/worst, whatever you want to call it. He wanted to step up to do this even though no other state was and other states are watching. Watch people with developmental disabilities become more disabled or die! I swear, I just don't know what is wrong with the man. All the promises he made the parents/guardians are being smashed by the MCOs and every fear is or will come about and it is moving rather rapidly.

Link for further explanation: http://www.khi.org/news/2014/jan/30/...are-dd-carve-/

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 10-07-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I just read an article and this throwing the people with disabilities under the bus in the name of saving a buck is "Kansas Governor Brownback" at his best/worst, whatever you want to call it. He wanted to step up to do this even though no other state was and other states are watching. Watch people with developmental disabilities become more disabled or die! I swear, I just don't know what is wrong with the man. All the promises he made the parents/guardians are being smashed by the MCOs and every fear is or will come about and it is moving rather rapidly.

Link for further explanation: Feds approve KanCare DD carve-in | Kansas Health Institute

Trying to fix something that wasn't broke. Same as when they threw teachers under the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or