U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 12:22 PM

10,638 posts, read 7,376,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The rural areas by Springfield are nicer, particularly acreage properties. I've never cared for the city itself that much.
I would probably agree with that, as I do generally speaking. I would love to have some acreage, but probably will never be able to afford it due to tradeoffs I've made over the years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 09:00 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,342,734 times
Interesting population stats for the State of Kansas. I'm not sure what is going on, but it looks like its starting to tell the tale.
Kansas Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home

Old 05-02-2015, 09:57 PM

22,309 posts, read 38,925,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Interesting population stats for the State of Kansas. I'm not sure what is going on, but it looks like its starting to tell the tale.
Kansas Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home
Pretty obvious that net domestic migration has gone deep into negative territory. The only reason the state is growing is the very high birth rate compared to most other states in the US. International in-migration numbers are low as expected, most end up moving to Johnson County, KS with small percentages going to Wichita, Manhattan, Lawrence, etc.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:02 PM

11,044 posts, read 20,952,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Decline of rural areas. Missouri is not much better. But then you look at the KC MSA and it's a different trend:

Kansas City, MO-KS MSA Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home

Old 05-02-2015, 10:25 PM

22,309 posts, read 38,925,499 times
Here is Johnson County over time:

Johnson County, KS Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home

Old 05-02-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Decline of rural areas. Missouri is not much better. But then you look at the KC MSA and it's a different trend:

Kansas City, MO-KS MSA Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home
True to an extent. But compare past domestic immigration and growth in Kansas to years past. Also, compre to states like Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota, all very rural states. The difference is pretty striking. Also, Kansas has less than half the population of Missour? But the domesitc immigration loss is almost twice the loss in Missouri.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:47 AM

10,638 posts, read 7,376,264 times
Anyone look at California....and at how it's population is hemorrhaging domestically? And has been for over 20 years? Do we blame that on the radical left flavor of its politics?

There are two striking things here. One is the seismic demographic change sweeping the entire US. The other is the fascination in this forum with beating up on a state doing far better than many others as the US economy's slide continues. And we're not Cambodia yet, so it has a ways to go.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:04 PM

I think its due to the high costs of housing among other things in California. Overpopulation.
I think the State of Kansas would be much better off right now if it would have worked with KC MO instead of threw money at poaching businesses from it. If both sides would have worked together to build a more thriving metro like Denver or Minneapolis/St. Paul (well not thriving so much lately) does anyone not think that the metro as a whole, thus both states would be better off? With a more prosperous, faster growing metro Kansas would benefit greatly and the people and businesses would be attracted to the location because of its "attractiveness" rather than having to throw tones of money to get and keep a corporate campus that will probably abandon Kansas and probably the metro anyway once the tax incentives expire. Then your left with empty office parks, bad schools and a labor force that cannot maintain or attract new business in the new economy.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:37 AM

22,990 posts, read 12,355,403 times
I compared unemployment rate of Kansas versus Missouri and Kansas is at 4.2% and Missouri 5.6%....looks like the experiment is working pretty well.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:45 AM

404 posts, read 373,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I compared unemployment rate of Kansas versus Missouri and Kansas is at 4.2% and Missouri 5.6%....looks like the experiment is working pretty well.
People are leaving the state in droves and its difficult to convince people to move to Kansas, that's why the unemployment rate is low, not because of a thriving economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas