Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 PM

25,726 posts, read 21,885,927 times

Advertisements

Grand jury investigating loans to Kansas governor's campaign | CJOnline.com I came across that article. I just wonder what else they may find out about that last election before it is all over. It is like I know there is something there and am just waiting for them to find it.

So, you voted for Brownback because he was cutting taxes? Now what? http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...x-cuts-failing

Sam didn't lose, but we most certainly did. Four more years? What will Kansas be like then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 06:37 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,833,653 times
How about comparing what Brownback achieves by 2016 to Obama's record.
GL2

Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 PM

26,399 posts, read 46,339,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
GL2
People will be voting with their feet again. (Easy to have a "low" unemployment rate when you have a high out-migration of people that leave the state).

Study: Kansas among top 10 states people leaving in 2014 | Local News - KMBC Home

Old 01-09-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
GL2
I'm just not sure what this has to do with the fall of Kansas. Comparing apples to oranges never works because it is impossible. Obama and Brownback are both winners and we are the losers. They are much more alike than different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
People will be voting with their feet again. (Easy to have a "low" unemployment rate when you have a high out-migration of people that leave the state).

Study: Kansas among top 10 states people leaving in 2014 | Local News - KMBC Home
I'd love to see the stats on U-Haul rentals. While people with higher end jobs tend to use moving companies, people working for $8.00 an hour and losing it to an illegal usually go with U-Haul to get out of here.

I don't really get the tax cuts. It just seems that Brownback moved the burden of what the state wasn't funding to the lower entities which in turn told us to turn our pockets inside out and when nothing falls out, they sell your house for taxes due, close the school, don't repair the bridge, etc.

Both Obama and Brownback are dishonest and heathens at heart. I didn't vote for either one of them. Only the ignorant vote "party".

Old 01-09-2015, 09:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,141,724 times
Quote:
GL2
Brownback runs Kansas into a ditch while the U.S. economy soars.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:14 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,141,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

Odd that ND was on that list. I thought ND was booming?

I see a fair number of KS plates here in Denver, and have several neighbors who moved here from KS. It's far enough away to be different, but close enough to go back and see family.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:35 PM

77,938 posts, read 60,105,199 times
Hey look the usual suspects clucking over anything that might be going wrong for KS. What a shock.

On topic: I hope if Brownback broke the rules he gets caught.

With regards to the moving poll it would seem that it would be biased towards wealthier people (they noted jobs\corporate transfers) and not pick up on people moving in their car or renting Uhauls etc.

I would think that citing something like overall population migration would be more valid, especially when you are trying to explain away the favorable unemployment rate.

List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

31 out of 50 so roughly in the middle a little below average.

That's a lot more valid than some news article citing a moving companies numbers.....but not as juicy of a story.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:42 PM

77,938 posts, read 60,105,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Odd that ND was on that list. I thought ND was booming?
That's because using a moving companies numbers is um.....sub optimal to performing a decent analysis of the issue.

Think of your typical worker going to the ND boom. Male and generally younger. Not exactly the kind that hires movers.

The list I linked to has them at the top in population change.

Sorry to crash the bash KS party once again with facts.

Hey, remember the "KS harbors sex offenders" thread the OP started? Then it turned out we were like 25th out of 50 states. Or the KS is bad for work thread when we were like 18th in unemployment?

Ah, good memories.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,083,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey look the usual suspects clucking over anything that might be going wrong for KS. What a shock.

On topic: I hope if Brownback broke the rules he gets caught.

With regards to the moving poll it would seem that it would be biased towards wealthier people (they noted jobs\corporate transfers) and not pick up on people moving in their car or renting Uhauls etc.

I would think that citing something like overall population migration would be more valid, especially when you are trying to explain away the favorable unemployment rate.

List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

31 out of 50 so roughly in the middle a little below average.

That's a lot more valid than some news article citing a moving companies numbers.....but not as juicy of a story.

Doesn't 31st out of 50 mean that Kansas is in the bottom 40 percentile?

Old 01-09-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's because using a moving companies numbers is um.....sub optimal to performing a decent analysis of the issue.

Think of your typical worker going to the ND boom. Male and generally younger. Not exactly the kind that hires movers.

The list I linked to has them at the top in population change.

Sorry to crash the bash KS party once again with facts.

Hey, remember the "KS harbors sex offenders" thread the OP started? Then it turned out we were like 25th out of 50 states. Or the KS is bad for work thread when we were like 18th in unemployment?

Ah, good memories.
Kansas QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau, less than booming. And, why younger families that aren't on welfare flee: http://www.zerotothree.org/public-po...baby-facts.pdf and I do wonder how many of these are anchor babies. And, people leaving Kansas? Census shows more people leaving Kansas - Washington Times and Study shows more people moving out of Kansas | KSN-TV

When it comes to ND, I know of part-time and full-time RVers that are going up there and staying just for the work, not relocating. I would guess a lot of them are just there living where ever. I saw this same thing when I was in AK during one of the booms there. The wave goes in and the wave goes out. They have built these super garages that house RVers and their RVs so that they can make it through the winters.

As for sexual offenders, the state is actually #30: States with the most registered sex offenders | Local News - KMBC Home and states ranked by population: States - Ranked by Size & Population - ipl2 Stately Knowledge: Facts about the United States And, my issue was that I did this research because someone at the day center my son was going to was caught by another employee doing something which should have caused the police to be called yet they were not so I guess if you let enough of it go, that does help keep down the numbers.

KS is on the slippery slide down. Seriously, cutting the taxes to bring in business? Those of us with intelligence knew that was not the goal. Starving the schools? Yes, everyone wants to rush in to a state where the education stats aren't good.

It does look like the state is about to run into issues concerning the ADA and people with disabilities. The state had the idea that if they could just say we don't have the money to pay for it and, magically, it would be OK.

And, Mathguy, if you ever have a loved one nearly die, have them suffer abuse, neglect and exploitation only to learn that no one within that chain of command gives a darn, come back then and tell me how wrong my feelings are. I am SO, SO tired of the apathy and lack of compassion and the non-action against illegals, the employers of illegals, the drug houses that operate openly, tired of it all!

Where I come from "Well, if I say something it would matter anyway.", "If I vote, it wouldn't matter anyway." "Oh, every other place is like that too."

Do you really think I give a darn what the state ranks when it comes to child molesters when it looks like the place where my son was had it going on and from what he described he seen it? I can only gather that for many, this is acceptable. Not where I come from!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas