Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:44 AM

620 posts, read 1,222,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I agree. They don't seem like they have much of an accent at all to me. Kind of strange because I think the Ozarks in Missouri and south of there to Branson people have an accent and you would think Kansas would be about the same, but it's not. My dad grew up in the Ozarks and my mom in northern Arkansas and different parts of Oklahoma, including Muskogee. I remember her calling Miami "Miama." They both definitely had accents and colloquialisms that you don't hear every day. Even as a kid I used to think to myself how strange some of the things they said sounded. You'd think growing up with them it would just seem normal to me but I definitely noticed it.
Miami Oklahoma is pronounced My-am-uh. That just how I've always know it to be pronounced. Southern Missouri is more baptist than southern Kansas. More american settlement and scots Irish too. Thats why the accent is different overall. Lots of people in southern Missouri actually consider themselves to be southern. I don't think that is the case at all in Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:18 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,104,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Miami Oklahoma is pronounced My-am-uh. That just how I've always know it to be pronounced. Southern Missouri is more baptist than southern Kansas. More american settlement and scots Irish too. Thats why the accent is different overall. Lots of people in southern Missouri actually consider themselves to be southern. I don't think that is the case at all in Kansas.
I could never pronounce it like that Sort of like I feel like a moron pronouncing Louisville, KY as "Loovuhl" lol! Or New Orleans as "Nawlins".

Another one that kills me: Ver-sales, Mizzerah

Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,928,757 times
^I've lived and spent a lot of time in the region Miami, OK is in and I would feel like a moron pronouncing it like the city in Florida.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:16 PM

620 posts, read 1,222,512 times
Yeah that's just how it is supposed to be pronounced and it's how locals pronounce it as well. It's actually how the native Americans around there proununce it too. How bout bois D'arc Missouri? Everyone pronunces it bo-dark. Berryville Arkansas is pronounced Burvul to most ozarkers lol.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:00 PM

^I personally wouldn't go so far as to pronounce Berryville as Burvul. Lol.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:11 PM

I don't think it's been mentioned, but I think the parts of Kansas that feel the most Southern could actually be Leavenworth, Atchison, and parts of Kansas City.

At some point I saw somebody say the Quindaro BLVD corridor in Kansas City is like a slice of Mississippi (small, rural, black town) plopped down in the middle of the KC metro. Also, Southwest BLVD in the Rosedale area of Kansas City - which is just southwest and within view of downtown Kansas City, MO - feels like what I'd imagine an old Appalachian town might.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:17 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,104,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^I've lived and spent a lot of time in the region Miami, OK is in and I would feel like a moron pronouncing it like the city in Florida.
Moron I have in-laws/family in Miami, FL, and the older ones call it "Miamuh".

Old 01-30-2015, 02:11 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,029,213 times
Pittsburg, Kansas even had its own Italian-language newspaper in the early 20th century.

I don't think there's much of a southern influence at all, not in the Louisiana-to-Carolinas sense. Twangy accents are a neutralized version of Texas/Oklahoma-speak. Even so, a native Texan or Oklahoman stands out in my mind. I've never heard a native Kansan (for example, my mom, from Sumner County) say they're fixin' to do something, though I hear plenty of "warsh." Northern accents really stand out too, even in Kansas City.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Interesting. I thought that sort of pronunciation was unique to the way Missouri is sometimes pronounced.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:13 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,135,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's what I thought was the case with my mom pronouncing Miamuh Oklahoma that way. She had such a weird way of saying things/accent/dialect or whatever, that I just thought that was another thing she was mispronouncing. It never occurred to me that she was pronouncing it correctly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas