U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,212 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm looking to move out of San diego in a nice Kansas town . Smallish thinking Lawrence or similar . But I'm want something totally different then sd . Prefer acres and a farmhouse . Husband and I are very liberal .
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 17 days ago)

21,167 posts, read 16,960,319 times
Have you looked at the real estate ads online? What is your budget? Will you be looking for jobs and what types of jobs will you be looking for and what pay will you be expecting? I don't think you'll find a lot of farmhouses with acreage in the Lawrence area. KS is not probably the "farming" community that you think it might be. If you go south of KC, I see there are a number of farm auctions coming up and I suspect many have given up because of the drought so prices might be good.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 AM

11,282 posts, read 11,308,507 times
You will pay a premium for that kind of property around Lawrence. North Lawrence is the best bet maybe Oskaloosa. I'm guessing cooperate entities who can weather the storm will buy out family farm operations.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:43 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,064,206 times
Actually, there are a lot of hobby farms and small farms in this area of the state. My grandmother owned a 10 acre farm in between Topeka and Lawrence for many years. You will pay a premium for land and a home, but you shouldn't have trouble finding properties, but considering you are coming from San Diego, it might not seem like a premium, so I don't know. Start checking real estate online for what you might look for. Lawrence and Manhattan both have great local farmer markets and local food scenes in restaurants. Topeka also has a good local farmers market, but the local food scene isn't quite as big. From KC to Manhattan is the flint hills, a beautiful area really, not like the rest of Kansas which is mostly flat, but good for wheat and larger farm operations. There are a lot of like minded people around here, Lawrence being the epicenter. Just don't try to compete with big farm operations, you will lose. My grandmother made a profit on her farm, she mainly grew pumpkins, some fruits, and rare vegetables. She also made craft type of things and sold those at farmers markets. Thanksgiving was the biggest time of year for her, she would sell 1000's of pumpkins, the customers would go out in the field and pick the pumpkin themselves and the price was based on weight.

The following magazine and website is based in Topeka, and it really shows how big the hobby farm culture is around here.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS - Organic Gardening, DIY, Renewable Energy, Homesteading And Livestock, Real Food, Natural Health, Nature And Environment, Green Homes, Green Transportation

Old 03-11-2015, 09:17 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,205,049 times
I am interested in why you want to move to Kansas. San Diego to rural NE Kansas will be quite different. If you are not familiar with Kansas, could be a culture shock. Also, the heat and cold and seasons, in general, can be rather harsh. Very mild winter this year though. Some don't like the chiggers, ticks, snakes and other creatures. The winters can be long and hard on people. If you are very Liberal, you will really find our state government quite interesting.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 PM

59,231 posts, read 46,318,728 times
Sharee....move somewhat close to the metro area.

That way you still have access but can enjoy the large city amenities.

Look for some acreage somwhere along I-70 within 30 miles of the city....or northeast or east of Lawrence....that sort of thing.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 PM

22,231 posts, read 38,792,275 times
Rural Jefferson County would fit the requirement. Rural and NE of Topeka, N of Lawrence, W of KC. Downside- very near the old Lawrence power plant.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:40 PM

152 posts, read 174,424 times
You really need to rent in area to see the problems. Flint Hills had lots of money move into area and started to thrown out some people near Council Grove. If you don't fit, businesses and new residents are thrown out quickly and harshly....You really need to rent anywhere to see the area problems and decide.

KC poor have been moved out to a lot of the suburbs bringing all the gang stuff and lots of drugs, even in country areas it is now very far. Better to look at things from a rental & see how shopping/basics run in your area to see if you want to deal with it. Area has lots of good jobs but social situation is stifling with all the poor made to hassle residents of town so poor will even get by...Gangs of kids harass some new residents and military sending many running...If you do not respond to this and ignore it, you will get along better with the locals. There are also so many scams in all of KC running so long they are like local institutions of business....See what you think, then buy.

There have been allegations of utility price gouging out in country near KC and really affecting poorer neighborhoods. Check out the previous bills for property before you even rent...The price gouging is increasing and expanding its way around town so there is no telling. If house is only electric, it could be $800-$1k utility bills in south Johnson County. One little 'rate increase' will triple your bills...

Old 03-14-2015, 10:19 AM

11,282 posts, read 11,308,507 times
Utility bills would be a chief concern in that part of the country. It is not uncommon to be using heat or air conditioning 12 months a year. If you find something it should have all the energy updates and be air tight. I rented a farm house on 100 acres when I was in college in Kansas. It sat out in the open and the wind blew right threw that old place. When the fire went out at night you knew it.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:35 PM

11,038 posts, read 20,887,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlysunny1 View Post
You really need to rent in area to see the problems. Flint Hills had lots of money move into area and started to thrown out some people near Council Grove. If you don't fit, businesses and new residents are thrown out quickly and harshly....You really need to rent anywhere to see the area problems and decide.

KC poor have been moved out to a lot of the suburbs bringing all the gang stuff and lots of drugs, even in country areas it is now very far. Better to look at things from a rental & see how shopping/basics run in your area to see if you want to deal with it. Area has lots of good jobs but social situation is stifling with all the poor made to hassle residents of town so poor will even get by...Gangs of kids harass some new residents and military sending many running...If you do not respond to this and ignore it, you will get along better with the locals. There are also so many scams in all of KC running so long they are like local institutions of business....See what you think, then buy.

There have been allegations of utility price gouging out in country near KC and really affecting poorer neighborhoods. Check out the previous bills for property before you even rent...The price gouging is increasing and expanding its way around town so there is no telling. If house is only electric, it could be $800-$1k utility bills in south Johnson County. One little 'rate increase' will triple your bills...
I can't comprehend what the OP is trying to do. SD to rural KS? Doesn't compute, so "I'm out". But this is a really bizarre post. For somebody that is so against poor people from kc, they sure could use some basic writing and grammar skills, not to mention things can't be "that" bad there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas