U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 12,298 times
Default Anyone familiar with lakes communities in Linn and Bourbon Counties?

Hi, all!

I am seeking information about the many small properties (lots) being offered for sale in Linn and Bourbon Counties (Kansas)... Linn Valley Lakes, Sugar Valley Lakes, Hidden Valley Lakes. In particular, I have been looking at some lots advertized as "buildable" in Mapleton. These are within the Hidden Valley Lakes community and are being represented as residential/recreational.

I expect to be retiring within 2 - 3 years and am seeking a quiet rural, preferably "woodsy" area to locate an inexpensive mobile home for seasonal residence (snow-birding). I want a place where pets can safely wander, friends can come park their motor homes and visit, and we can all drink beer and fish!

Seriously, I don't need either employment options or even a Wal-Mart! I just want to commune with nature and want only a safe, quiet place with a near-by store that sells groceries and enough roads in and out of the place so an ambulence can come fetch me should I have a medical emergency, God forbid!

I welcome any info about these lakes communities. They look good from the satellite photos. I have fond childhood memories of summers spent exploring the whole region on camping trips with my father and brother but that was more than half a century ago and things can change a lot over 50 - 60 years!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Status: "I have enough cheese i am just trying to get out of the trap" (set 29 days ago)

6,420 posts, read 4,424,587 times
I own a couple lot's at Hidden Valley. 86 acre lake. Has clubhouse that has pot luck suppers etc. A good ol boy's fishin and drinkin lake. Roads are kept up pretty good(gravel) lots of trees, dues are $128.00 per yr. About 15-20 yr round residents. Hdv Vly is the ugly stepchild of Sugar Valley Lakes. Part or your dues go to pay for the gold course at Sugar Valley. Lot's at Sugar start at about 15k amd i think most roads are aphalt. Many of the weekenders feel tha the resident locals are trying to make it hard on the weekenders. Such as at one time until recently you could go to the clubhouse and get water from a spigot. Now they limit you to 1 gal! They have changed the bathhouse hours with them now being closed mon-wed. Weekdays it is pretty quiet at Hdn Vly, on weekends it can get a little dusty.Good bass fishin! Swimming dock and shelter house. Small grocery store at Mapleton comes and goes and the same with cafe. Go to Blue Mound or Mound City for stores or to eat. Sugar Valley has i think three small lakes. Linn Valley lakes is for the elite that don't like Louisburg anymore. They might be a little stand offish to weekenders. Have oewned my place for about 10 yrs and only one break-in in all that time. Crime was done by two local boys to impress girl while out on a walk. They have a security guard but he sleeps some! Some lots might still be able to be bought from the Association for $200-500. City water went in about 2-3 yrs ago. $1600.00 to hook on. No septic systems at Hidden all are on holding tanks. Dn't know about Sugar. Tanglewood lakes has securitty gates with codes. Small lakes i don't know much about. To be left alone as you posted i would go with Hdn Valley. more by pm

Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,682,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I own a couple lot's at Hidden Valley. 86 acre lake. Has clubhouse that has pot luck suppers etc. A good ol boy's fishin and drinkin lake. Roads are kept up pretty good(gravel) lots of trees, dues are $128.00 per yr. About 15-20 yr round residents. Hdv Vly is the ugly stepchild of Sugar Valley Lakes. Part or your dues go to pay for the gold course at Sugar Valley. Lot's at Sugar start at about 15k amd i think most roads are aphalt. Many of the weekenders feel tha the resident locals are trying to make it hard on the weekenders. Such as at one time until recently you could go to the clubhouse and get water from a spigot. Now they limit you to 1 gal! They have changed the bathhouse hours with them now being closed mon-wed. Weekdays it is pretty quiet at Hdn Vly, on weekends it can get a little dusty.Good bass fishin! Swimming dock and shelter house. Small grocery store at Mapleton comes and goes and the same with cafe. Go to Blue Mound or Mound City for stores or to eat. Sugar Valley has i think three small lakes. Linn Valley lakes is for the elite that don't like Louisburg anymore. They might be a little stand offish to weekenders. Have oewned my place for about 10 yrs and only one break-in in all that time. Crime was done by two local boys to impress girl while out on a walk. They have a security guard but he sleeps some! Some lots might still be able to be bought from the Association for $200-500. City water went in about 2-3 yrs ago. $1600.00 to hook on. No septic systems at Hidden all are on holding tanks. Dn't know about Sugar. Tanglewood lakes has securitty gates with codes. Small lakes i don't know much about. To be left alone as you posted i would go with Hdn Valley. more by pm
Good information. I always wanted to know more about that area as well. You are lucky to own property in that area Also, the landscape and the terrain in that area is much nicer compared with other portions of Kansas. At least you have a few more trees and water to battle the hot summer conditions.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:12 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,682,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazingbear View Post
Hi, all!

I am seeking information about the many small properties (lots) being offered for sale in Linn and Bourbon Counties (Kansas)... Linn Valley Lakes, Sugar Valley Lakes, Hidden Valley Lakes. In particular, I have been looking at some lots advertized as "buildable" in Mapleton. These are within the Hidden Valley Lakes community and are being represented as residential/recreational.

I expect to be retiring within 2 - 3 years and am seeking a quiet rural, preferably "woodsy" area to locate an inexpensive mobile home for seasonal residence (snow-birding). I want a place where pets can safely wander, friends can come park their motor homes and visit, and we can all drink beer and fish!

Seriously, I don't need either employment options or even a Wal-Mart! I just want to commune with nature and want only a safe, quiet place with a near-by store that sells groceries and enough roads in and out of the place so an ambulence can come fetch me should I have a medical emergency, God forbid!

I welcome any info about these lakes communities. They look good from the satellite photos. I have fond childhood memories of summers spent exploring the whole region on camping trips with my father and brother but that was more than half a century ago and things can change a lot over 50 - 60 years!
You will be in for a shock if you think the winters are mild in Kansas. The average temperatures are mild for the most part, but Linn and Bourbon counties get a decent amount of snow and cold temperatures during the winter. More services are available in Lousiburg. Everything is connected by highway 69 so the distances are not that far.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 12,298 times
Wink Thanks for the info!

The area sounds like a good bet for a retirement hide-a-way!

Yeah, I know about the snow. But I never planned on becoming one of those old geezers who head for Florida or southern Arizona to spend their twilight years living in an overcrowded 55+ trailer park and playing bingo at the senior center between naps! I've lived in both Miami and Tucson and really didn't much care for either of those climates. They don't get winter, just a "rainy season" when the toads multiply and get hungry so you get a short respite from the bugs!

I love snow. I love to watch the seasons change. I'll just make sure the "cabin" I put on the lot has good insulation and the pick-up has good snow tires and some weight in the back!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Status: "I have enough cheese i am just trying to get out of the trap" (set 29 days ago)

6,420 posts, read 4,424,587 times
Ther are some other lakes in the area. You might enjoy hunting them down. I think there is Silver Lake to the west of Pleasanton. The new 69 hwy is quickly truning into 4 lane hwy between Ft Scott and Louisburg. You would fit right in this area.imo

PS: At Hidden Valley you can have a boat dock if your lot touches the water. No farther than 27 ft out.

Last edited by Versatile; 01-23-2008 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: added the PS

Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 6,010 times
I have a lot for sale in Sugar Valley that you can build on. Reasonable. I bought this one. Then I inherited one in Linn Valley. I might be willing to sell that one too, soon. The one in Sugar Valley is definitely for sale.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,907 times
Default Property for sale in Sugar Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazingbear View Post
Hi, all!

Hello, I own a lot that is 90x120, rough lvl ground , some trees mostly grass. Very near water. The scenery is beautiful. Adjacent properties are nicely kept or wild. Unfortunately I don't have the money to keep it so I am forced to sell a beautiful lot of land. If interested in further details call me at: (785) 827-3877. Preferably in the evenings, Grrrr I hate the A.M. Ha Ha.
Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Laurie.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,099 times
Hate to dig up and old thread but does anyone know who to call to get a membership to Hidden Valley Lakes?? I was going for a long drive wondering on the gravel and found this lake, but there are signs all around it that say members only. I like to fish alot and enjoy finding new places to camp on the weekends, catch some biggin's and drink a few beers with the friends. If anyone knows who to talk to i would greatly appreciate the info.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 AM

8,025 posts, read 6,386,052 times
My brother owns a house at Linn Valley Lakes. The "lake" is pretty small and I wasn't really impressed with it myself. My brother never uses his anymore; I don't know why he doesn't sell it. He also owns land in Linn County and has recently built a house on that land.

If I were you, rather than buying a lot there at one of those places I think I would buy land and put a trailer on it. You'd be more secluded that way than at one of those lake communities. There are lakes/rivers around where you could go fishing if you wanted to do that. And land is still pretty reasonable in Linn County I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas