U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 05:54 PM

7,593 posts, read 7,193,289 times

Advertisements

Yes, I think that illegals are driving up the cost of rentals because of the demand. Rental housing is high here - but, I've got to tell you, that house north of Comanche here in Dodge City is worth $825 a month. It is just really well cared for. It is a little dirty inside, but nothing but a good mop, rag and cleaner, and some good old-fashioned elbow grease can't take care of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 24 days ago)

21,167 posts, read 16,987,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Yes, I think that illegals are driving up the cost of rentals because of the demand. Rental housing is high here - but, I've got to tell you, that house north of Comanche here in Dodge City is worth $825 a month. It is just really well cared for. It is a little dirty inside, but nothing but a good mop, rag and cleaner, and some good old-fashioned elbow grease can't take care of.
OK, yes, I get it, you really want that house but you don't have to convince me, you have to convince Mrs. Elkotronics. Well, that little dirty inside might be the reason it is sitting so it may just sit for awhile until you are ready.

I get so tired of moving into places that aren't that clean. This last house we bought was clean and we bought it through the son selling for his parents who went into senior housing. The one before was a foreclosure and the price was good but............

For future reference: http://hcci-ks.org/wp-content/upload...TENAct2005.pdf It is the KS Landlord and Tenant act. It is good to know where to find it.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:31 PM

Oh, thank you. I will bookmark it, actually, it would be great to have. Yeah, I haven't thrown away the paper that has the information on that house on Comanche. Great little house with literally everything I would want in a small house already built in to it. If I were to initiate purchase papers on any house I've seen in Dodge City, that little white house would be the one. But I agree with you and Mrs.elkotronics on not buying - the Mrs. doesn't want to retire in Kansas and I'm retiring in 5 years and 9 months. So there you go.

But you're right, the old farmer that is renting out that house - I have a feeling that after seeing us face-to-face has decided that we wouldn't let our canines tear up his wood trimming or dig holes in the back yard and such. So that's a good thing. I will re-contact him when we're ready, and, if he's already rented it out, then that will be what we're facing regarding that house.

The job is going well and I don't think this little apartment is going ta hold me for that much longer. Feb.1, 2016, we are legally free from this apartment!

Old 11-08-2015, 02:29 PM

7,895 posts, read 9,355,177 times
My husband knows most of the farmers in SW KS - he services their tractors, etc.

I rented 2 times, since coming back to the area and had no issues with my dog.. As long as she was house trained. One rental I had to pay a pet deposit and the other I didn't.. But they were not in Dodge... I lived in Minneola, and another town(just purchased a home where I am)... I always told them upfront if Pets are acceptable.

I work at the hospital in my town. I'm not going anywhere. My husband has a excellent job in Dodge.. And the town we live in - Super, Super, nice people and there are some rentals, cheap(mostly small houses 2 bedroom) - and even the houses for sale are a lot cheaper.

Dodge is over inflated. I"m originally from NY and some of the rents are close to what some pay in NY - Not NYC but upstate... Even the sales tax in DC is higher than NY..

I rented a house on AVE K in dodge 3 years ago. 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, garage - 950.00 Month. Same sized house in Minneola, Was 795.00 with a double garage and huge yard.. Only difference besides the rental price was driving the 20 plus miles to and from Dodge. Which was ok.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:37 PM

How did the drive ta Dodge from Minneola go in the winter, Torn2pieces? I'm thinking it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I would consider renting in Minneola. Seemed like a cute town and very, very quiet! That would be cool. I'll keep looking in to this subject. Because I am thinking of buying a new car that gets 31 mpg city and 41 mpg highway. I love ta drive and, if we could get a better deal for more house down in Minneola it would make sense to me. 20 miles is nothing for a commute - with this small amount of traffic.

I spose one could get caught behind a tractor at some point and that would...yes. Be very annoying. And I won't even come close to buying another rig until I'm sure I'm set at this new job in Dodge, either. That would be dumb.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:02 PM

7,895 posts, read 9,355,177 times
Elk - the drive isn't bad, but the roads weren't that bad either, when I lived there. Not to say, if there was a wicked bad snow storm, if it's drive-able or not, you got a big hill to climb(near the sewer treatment plant) It's about half way from Dodge and Minneola.... They seldom do the side roads that great. So, having 4wd does come in handy..

And there are lots and lots of Semi's on that road - 283... All the time...

Not many rentals in Minneola, but there's a few here and there.... And most of the kids in Minneola, walk to school ( or are driven from Dodge City by parents half way, then get on the bus)

You have a gas station - well 2 and a Dinky grocery store... There is a hospital there as well.

There use to be a diner, but that closed, There is a dinky hotel... I'm trying to think of anything else... I only lived there for a short time... Less than 2 years .I found my happiness in another town, and that's where we bought another house.

I'm sure you will find a spot to settle - Just research area's of interest... You can look into Cimmaron - it's a nice town. I know Jetmore is a tight community - everyone looks out for everyone.. I know people in Spearville that drive to dodge.. All are driveable - 20 + miles is nothing...

Old 11-20-2015, 01:31 AM

761 posts, read 1,048,624 times
I really do recommend Cimarron. It's 15 miles to Dodge, it puts you closer to Garden City, there's a decent sized grocery store, Cancun Mexican Grill is pretty good, and Opera stopped at Clark Pharmacy downtown. I also think US50/400 would probbaly get priority from KDOT over US283 seeing as 50 and 400 are two major thoroughfares.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 AM

Hey, thank you guys for the Cimarron ideas, I am going to seriously consider it. The good thing is the job at WPMC is going very well. I am going to be staying for a while! My Director and I took a little trip around SW Kansas last Friday promoting my Department to hospitals and medical offices, and, Cimarron was our first stop. She also recommended Cimarron as a great place to live. The town certainly has a good "feel" to it - Dodge City is fine, but, it does get a bit harried and busy at times. Not horribly, it just makes the tiny towns around make it look like Kansas City in terms of business.

Cimarron is close and it's got a homey feel to it. Minneola is still in the running, too. I'll continue to gather information and keep you all posted. Feel free to chime in with any new ideas.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:59 PM

761 posts, read 1,048,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Hey, thank you guys for the Cimarron ideas, I am going to seriously consider it. The good thing is the job at WPMC is going very well. I am going to be staying for a while! My Director and I took a little trip around SW Kansas last Friday promoting my Department to hospitals and medical offices, and, Cimarron was our first stop. She also recommended Cimarron as a great place to live. The town certainly has a good "feel" to it - Dodge City is fine, but, it does get a bit harried and busy at times. Not horribly, it just makes the tiny towns around make it look like Kansas City in terms of business.

Cimarron is close and it's got a homey feel to it. Minneola is still in the running, too. I'll continue to gather information and keep you all posted. Feel free to chime in with any new ideas.
Best of look in your continued search. One reason I like Cimarron is because if you buy a home you have a better chance of selling it in the future. Because it's located near Dodge and not too far from Garden the town sees some investment and isn't dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas