U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 07:41 AM

179 posts, read 191,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Beautiful shots! In a few weeks the prince's plumes should be in bloom and they're my favorite out of all of the western Kansas wildflowers. The badlands have always been awe inspiring for me every time I see them.
Thanks. This was my first time visiting the badlands, and it was more beautiful than I expected. I just love it here.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 AM

758 posts, read 1,021,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
Thanks. This was my first time visiting the badlands, and it was more beautiful than I expected. I just love it here.
You're in the minority of the world for liking the area so far so I hope you're positive experiences continue. Another area activity I suggest is trying to schedule a tour at the buffalo preserve around the end of may or early June. The area has an extensive history that goes back to saving the entire species.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:21 AM

21,715 posts, read 38,106,306 times
Monument Rocks area is fascinating, good picture opportunities when it is occasionally snow covered to get interesting contrasts in light.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:35 AM

10,212 posts, read 7,047,131 times
Quote:
Some pics from my trip through Gove County earlier today.

Wildflowers on the Plains

Sea of Grass

Plains and Sky

Wildflowers on a Butte

Badlands From the Butte

Castle Rock Badlands

Castle Rock From the Butte

Castle Rock

Castle Rock With Scale

Castle Rock Up Close
Absolutely awesome pics....thanks for posting them!

As for Castle Rock and the Badlands, I honestly had no idea there was this kind of scenery in Kansas. And I'd bet that applies to more people than not.

I know almost nothing about photography, but would like to dabble in it a bit in the future. I'm curious as to what kind of camera quality it takes to get great pics like this.

Thanks again.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

As for Castle Rock and the Badlands, I honestly had no idea there was this kind of scenery in Kansas. And I'd bet that applies to more people than not.

I know almost nothing about photography, but would like to dabble in it a bit in the future. I'm curious as to what kind of camera quality it takes to get great pics like this.

Thanks again.
Thank you.

I don't know much about photography either, to tell you the truth. I took these pics on my Nexus 6 phone. I use a setting in the camera that stacks 3 photos on top of each other, and I think that helps bring the detail out.

I didn't know this kind of scenery existed here, either, before I took the job out here. Then I started researching and found out about these places. I'm willing to bet there are several other hidden gems around this state, and I plan on finding them.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM

21,715 posts, read 38,106,306 times
Quote:
Thank you.

I don't know much about photography either, to tell you the truth. I took these pics on my Nexus 6 phone. I use a setting in the camera that stacks 3 photos on top of each other, and I think that helps bring the detail out.

I didn't know this kind of scenery existed here, either, before I took the job out here. Then I started researching and found out about these places. I'm willing to bet there are several other hidden gems around this state, and I plan on finding them.
Another interesting location for photography would be the Smoky Hills region north of Hays along Hwy 183, some rugged topography with some limestone buttes. The Arikaree Breaks in Rawlins and Cheyenne counties has some photography potential, not sure of the access- likely private land again.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM

10,212 posts, read 7,047,131 times
Quote:
Thank you.

Thanks for the update....I know you'll enjoy your continued search.

For perspective, I was going to ask where you moved from. But I see from your profile it was Tampa? Though Florida is one of a handful of states I haven't chosen to visit, I'm fairly certain I would find Tampa to be hell on earth. So I can well understand your excitement about your new surroundings.

I don't know any more about Smartphones than I know about photography, since I don't have one (and don't want one). But, at a glance, it sounds like the Nexus 6 is top of the line. I'll keep it in mind as a reference when I shop for a camera.

I lived in Kansas (KC metro) for 11 years and, in hindsight, regret that I never explored it like you are doing. Best of luck.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Thanks again.
You should dig through the thread if you had no idea! . I've posted several shots of this half of the state as well. Western Kansas is beautiful if one knows where to look. Mostly you just have to get off of I-70.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:44 PM

I've posted some of these before, but it's never a bad thing to bring them back up.

Chalk Formation north of Lake Scott State Park

Monument Rocks on a hot July afternoon.

Princes Plume in full bloom

Smoky Hill River south of Monument Rocks

Butterfly on wild Gallardia in my parrents backyard

The Keeper of The Plains statue in Wichita

Elephant on her last day at Lee Richardson Zoo. Their exhibit now houses a breeding pair of black rhinos.

Christmas at Bradley Fair in Wichita.

Urban Decay at While Lakes Mall in Topeka.

Finney State Fishing Lake in Finney County east of Ravana and north of Kalvesta.

Ravana Cemetery in Finney County.

The historic Carnegie Library in Dodge City.

Scott Lake State Park before a storm.

Garfield County Courthouse in Ravana (Finney County).

Ravana Townsite in Finney County.

Chestnut Street historical district in Hays.

Fall at Lee Richardson Zoo in Garden City.

Castle Rock Badlands.

Wild Cottonwood Trees and native grasses at Concannon Lake outside of Garden City.

Downtown Manhattan as seen from Manhattan Town Center Mall.

The last of the summer Sunflowers at Tuttle Creek Reservoir.

Rural Decay at Southgate Mall in Liberal (Former C.R. Anthony and Stage Department STore).

Wildflowers at the Buffalo Preserve south of Garden City.

Christmas at the Village Square Mall in Dodge City.
'

A historic block in Garden City that has been home to The historic 1880's Windsor Hotel (currently undergoing restoration) the Stevens Opera House (Demolished because the foundation was weak), F.W. Woolworth Variety Store, Ben Franklin Variety Store, C.R. Anthony Department Store, JCPenney, and currently a Stage Department Store.

The end of an era. The last week of Metcalf South Shopping Center being open in Overland Park.

Chase County Courthouse in Cottonwood Falls.

Historic Kress Store building in Emporia.

Lee Richardson Zoo after a snowstorm.

Downtown Garden City after a blizzard.

The Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe depot in Garden City after a blizzard. Still in use for Amtrak.

Mother and Calf south of Garden City.

Butterfly in Marchi

Rural Hodgeman County.

Frontier Park during fall in Hays.

A sunflower in front of Sunflower Electric in Holcomb.

Fall in the cattails at Lake Scott State Park.

Last edited by empires228; 05-12-2016 at 05:33 PM..

Old 05-14-2016, 02:54 PM

Those pictures are so awesome! And I can't wait to experience a little snow, too. Being a Florida boy, I've never had a chance to get tired of snow, so I welcome it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or