U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-22-2016, 12:26 PM
 
57,213 posts, read 45,324,916 times
Reputation: 35581

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm going to have to stop you at this point right there. You can't believe a word that Brownback says because that statement is a complete fabrication. Those three sectors make up a small percentage of the total economy. Yes, manufacturing does comprise a certain percentage (<5-8%), but agriculture and energy related jobs are less than 2% of the state total. Brownback lives in a delusional world that does not relate to concrete facts that stare at him every day.
Agriculture and energy related jobs are <2%?

I found this source and they cite manufacturing but just private sector.

Care to share your source? I do agree with you that they won't be a huge number and that Brownback was trying to make some excuses that would be more valid for a heavy oil producing state like OK or South Dakota.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...29759880,d.eWE

P.S. If you read it off some sort of internal work system etc. and can't link then don't sweat it, just curious.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-22-2016, 04:12 PM
 
Location: IN
21,715 posts, read 38,106,306 times
Reputation: 14285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Agriculture and energy related jobs are <2%?

I found this source and they cite manufacturing but just private sector.

Care to share your source? I do agree with you that they won't be a huge number and that Brownback was trying to make some excuses that would be more valid for a heavy oil producing state like OK or South Dakota.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...29759880,d.eWE

P.S. If you read it off some sort of internal work system etc. and can't link then don't sweat it, just curious.
In terms of non-farm employment, manufacturing and the energy producing sector, (mining and logging), make up 12% of the total non-farm employment in Kansas as of July 2016.

Kansas : Mountain?Plains Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 PM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,980,026 times
Reputation: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
In terms of non-farm employment, manufacturing and the energy producing sector, (mining and logging), make up 12% of the total non-farm employment in Kansas as of July 2016.

Kansas : Mountain?Plains Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Doesn't that also calculate to 9.7% for farm employment for the state of Kansas? That's about 22% of all employment for the state of Kansas in those 3 sectors.

I figured energy would be larger simply due to the wind power and nuclear plant, I didn't think it would be very high, but 0.5% seems very low, but that's what I calculated for mining and logging.

Government is about 18% of non farm employment for Kansas. I read an article a few years ago that Topeka had the 7th highest percentage of employees in government in the nation. I think it was like 25%~. Not really important, but interesting.

Something I also found interesting is that education employment is increasing, that doesn't really go with what the media is saying.

It looks like the biggest decrease in employment came from farm employment. Total non farm employment hardly changed over that time period.

"Energy" had the highest percentage of change (a decrease), but that's is misleading since the total amount of employment from that sector is so low (.5%).

Just some interesting bits I got from that link.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
758 posts, read 1,021,992 times
Reputation: 739
KDOT built Transload facilities will be adding jobs to Barton and Finney County, DFA will add further jobs in Finney County as will TP&L Logistics. Garmin will be adding over 2,000 new jobs in Olathe, and there's a new warehouse-distribution hub going up in KCK.

Also... Try telling counties like Reno, Ellis, Finney, Ford, Seward, Grant, etc. that low oil and gas prices don't play a part in the state economy. Ellis County was hit really hard with a large influx of homes and apartments hitting the market all at once around two years ago and even Walmart is hurting from the decline from the sales figures I've seen in the store. I mean, it doesn't help that Hays has been continually losing large chunks of its trade area to Kearney, Garden City, and Salina, but the effects of cheap oil have rippled through the area.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-12-2016, 10:31 PM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,980,026 times
Reputation: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
KDOT built Transload facilities will be adding jobs to Barton and Finney County, DFA will add further jobs in Finney County as will TP&L Logistics. Garmin will be adding over 2,000 new jobs in Olathe, and there's a new warehouse-distribution hub going up in KCK.

Also... Try telling counties like Reno, Ellis, Finney, Ford, Seward, Grant, etc. that low oil and gas prices don't play a part in the state economy. Ellis County was hit really hard with a large influx of homes and apartments hitting the market all at once around two years ago and even Walmart is hurting from the decline from the sales figures I've seen in the store. I mean, it doesn't help that Hays has been continually losing large chunks of its trade area to Kearney, Garden City, and Salina, but the effects of cheap oil have rippled through the area.
You may disagree, but Hays seems like a well managed city. Plus you guys have a decent amount of industry for a town its size. Figure in the college, and I think Hays has a bright future ahead of itself.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-13-2016, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
758 posts, read 1,021,992 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
You may disagree, but Hays seems like a well managed city. Plus you guys have a decent amount of industry for a town its size. Figure in the college, and I think Hays has a bright future ahead of itself.
It's really not. The roads are in bad shape, the sidewalks are really old and patchy, the parks are in rough shape, the aquatics park is leaking water and the lazy river is only working at 50% capacity, and the school buildings are in HORRID shape and are being run very poorly. They lost 40 teachers last year alone due to forced retirement due to a plan change that would have cost the older teachers their entire retirement savings. TMP is also ran very poorly with the entirety of the field house on the verge of being condemned again due to structural issues with the roof that causes a few areas like the music classroom to flood and drop lighting fixtures and ceiling tiles every time the weather graces us with a few drops of rain. Frontier Park is our ONLY decent park and it's littered with weeds, dead trees, and worst of all, trash ranging from entire cases of beer to discarded tires and youth soccer goals, everywhere in the areas in and around Big Creek. The University is really the only future the town has. Manufacturing jobs aren't as prevalent in Hays as they are in other similar sized towns in the state because of the water issue. Hays is also anti growth and has shot down multiple developments that would have transformed the town into a true retail and travel hub for the area. Why? Because the mall screwed over The City of Hays with their "special sales tax" in addition to the developer that brought in Home Depot with a similar special tax district, so now city leaders shoot down any project that wants a TIF or any help whatsoever, even if the development plans are clearly less sketchy and vague than what The Mall and Home Depot projects proposed and promised. Plus, you have to love a town that embraces the good ole' boy mentality to such an extent that we've had school board members for Hays Public who send their own children out of district.


I just saw in the news that Amazon will be adding 2,000 jobs to the KS side of KC between its new fulfillment centers in KCK and Gardner, so that's decent! The jobs aren't the best paying, but if both spouses are working then they can make a decent living. TekVet, a company specializing in technology for cattle that had been based in Florida, also finally showed up in Finney County several years after they were supposed to open surprising everyone. KDOT has also approved funding for road improvements to the DFA dairy plant off of US 83 and improvements on Farmland Road east of Garden City to help the flow of truck traffic so they're really expecting the plant and the transload facility to take off. TP&L logistics is going to be running it and paying for many infrastructure improvements out of pocket, because they know from past experiences that KDOT and the state of Kansas will drag their feet.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 AM
 
Location: NYC
17,481 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Reputation: 20911
I keep seeing IT, technology related jobs hiring in KS. I don't know where but it looks like tech companies are setting up shops there to leverage cheap taxes and lower salaries.

I don't think people who work in big cities are gonna leave and go to KS and have to take a 50% paycut to do so even if the COL is lower. Some costs are nominal across all states.

Wouldn't take a paycut because it affects your SS retirement income.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-14-2016, 11:32 AM
 
57,213 posts, read 45,324,916 times
Reputation: 35581
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I keep seeing IT, technology related jobs hiring in KS. I don't know where but it looks like tech companies are setting up shops there to leverage cheap taxes and lower salaries.

I don't think people who work in big cities are gonna leave and go to KS and have to take a 50% paycut to do so even if the COL is lower. Some costs are nominal across all states.

Wouldn't take a paycut because it affects your SS retirement income.
I think it depends what income level you are talking about because it really matters if you are going from 120k to 72k as opposed to a reduction from 50k to 30k. (Due to the tax implications)

As you've correctly noted there are some base living costs like gas, utilities, car etc. which aren't radically cheaper in KS than say NY.

The big two differences would be the extent that you are aleady up into the higher tax brackets and your housing desires.

Social Security I'm not so sure about....doesn't it have a decreasing scale based upon your wage level?

Meaning that someone paying in 50k a year might get 80% of what a person paying 100k a year in gets?
I'd look into this further, I think there is a calculator on the SS website and it might not be as big of a deal as you think.

In general though, I think a 50% pay cut would be too severe to move from NY to Kansas.

P.S. There are serveral tech companies in the KC Metro with Cerner (MO side), Garmin (KS) just to name two.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-15-2016, 03:22 PM
 
Location: NYC
17,481 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Reputation: 20911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think it depends what income level you are talking about because it really matters if you are going from 120k to 72k as opposed to a reduction from 50k to 30k. (Due to the tax implications)

As you've correctly noted there are some base living costs like gas, utilities, car etc. which aren't radically cheaper in KS than say NY.

The big two differences would be the extent that you are aleady up into the higher tax brackets and your housing desires.

Social Security I'm not so sure about....doesn't it have a decreasing scale based upon your wage level?

Meaning that someone paying in 50k a year might get 80% of what a person paying 100k a year in gets?
I'd look into this further, I think there is a calculator on the SS website and it might not be as big of a deal as you think.

In general though, I think a 50% pay cut would be too severe to move from NY to Kansas.

P.S. There are serveral tech companies in the KC Metro with Cerner (MO side), Garmin (KS) just to name two.
The main reason KS doesn't work for many is that younger folks who around drowned waist deep in student loan debt is not gonna come for lower pay. Which is why NYC is the destination of young grads. Lower COL is good for someone who is late 30s or mid 40s that sold their home in an expensive state and can easily buy elsewhere and feel they are living large in a cheaper state. These are folks that maybe burnt out by their career and looking for a change.

I get emails about jobs in Kansas paying 1/2 of market salaries here.

As for SS payout, there's a calculator that will calculate the payout based on years of work and incomes of those years. You certainly don't want to have your income cut in half for a longer period of time than your most productive years.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-15-2016, 04:09 PM
 
Location: IN
21,715 posts, read 38,106,306 times
Reputation: 14285
Kansas labor force participation rate continues to fall, nearly every month this year. That tells economists what is really occurring.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top