U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 PM

3,570 posts, read 1,632,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Since when has Salina been considered nice? It's no better off than Emporia, Junction City, Dodge City, Garden City... The crime there is worse than Hutchinson.
I'm not sure. I think all of those cities are fairly similar. Salina *might* have the neatest downtown, I remember going there 3 years ago or so and was pleasantly surprised how many shops were there, and many nice shops, plus the south side of the city has developed nicely. I've never been a fan of Emporia, Junction City, or Dodge City. All 3 of those towns were planned very poorly imo. Junction City has some good Korean restaurants which make it pretty unique for the area, but that is likely the worst city imo.

I've always though from N. Wichita all the way to Salina is a pretty good area, the towns (even the small ones) around that area seem to be doing really well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 05:31 PM

641 posts, read 679,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm not sure. I think all of those cities are fairly similar. Salina *might* have the neatest downtown, I remember going there 3 years ago or so and was pleasantly surprised how many shops were there, and many nice shops, plus the south side of the city has developed nicely. I've never been a fan of Emporia, Junction City, or Dodge City. All 3 of those towns were planned very poorly imo. Junction City has some good Korean restaurants which make it pretty unique for the area, but that is likely the worst city imo.

I've always though from N. Wichita all the way to Salina is a pretty good area, the towns (even the small ones) around that area seem to be doing really well.
Newton does well because of its proximity to Hutch and Wichita. McPherson isn't the nicest town, but it's not bad. Not really growing. Dodge City, Hays, Junction City, and Emporia are all fantastic examples of decades pd poor planning and zoning. Emporia has two areas that should have become commercial Hubs for the area, but they made a mess by throwing housing and industrial areas on prime commercial realestate. Junction City and Hays are just sprawling messes and Dodge City thrives on regretting things in hindsight. Salina has a lot of drug and gang problems and it shows by how often I see them in the news and their crime rate. They do have a fantastic arts program and symphony orchestra. Salina is where a lot of FHSU students go buy meth among other things...

Old 12-02-2015, 05:47 PM

19,329 posts, read 32,182,175 times
Quote:
Salina is where a lot of FHSU students go buy meth among other things...
Students. That is just sad.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:09 PM

952 posts, read 1,020,851 times
In the data, it looks like the student populations are counted in the city where the university is located. Doesn't really make sense because many students do not work. The student population makes up about 1/3rd of, or more, of the Manhattan population. This would effectively lower the median income for the city and raise the median income for the cities where the students are from. For instance, in the chart, Manhattan has a per capita income of 40,650, but, Wamego, 13 miles to the east has a median income of 56,307. There are not that many jobs in Wamego and few college students. Lawrence income is about 44,713. Eudora is 6 miles from Lawrence and the median is 62,576. This skews the results.

I am not certain that people equate higher population density with a greater qualify of life. I would say that's generally not the case.

Including townships mixed with cities doesn't make sense. Most are not cities. Some townships only have a rural fire department and an old school house.

Education numbers are all over the board and do not seem to correlate with quality of life. Atchison has 106 and Tonganxie has 13? Coffeyville has 70.

Including separate numbers for cities withing suburban areas doesn't really seem valid. Fairway and Leawood have populations of about 3,000, but are both pockets within a metropolitan area. These don't compare well to Frontenac, KS, which also has about 3,000 people in a rural area. The urban area should be viewed collectively.

The unemployment percents are fairly close together, but the ranking by city puts a much greater weighting in the average for the score. Kansas City has a 1 ranking for 6.7% unemployment but Beloit has 4.6% unemployment and has a 126 ranking number averaged in. Beloit scored 107 overall and Kansas City had a 21.2.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 PM

952 posts, read 1,020,851 times
According to the chart/ranking, Hutch tanked on the crime score. It indicates Hutch has a crime rate of 140.3 which is the 4th worst in the state. In comparison, Junction City ranks 111.9 or 17th worst for crime in the state. Does Hutch have a lot of crime?

Kansas City has a 128.9 for crime, so Hutch has more crime than Kansas City, KS, per the table. Kansas City is the 9th worst for crime. Fort Riley ranks number 1 for crime and number 1 for home value per the table. The home value score is invalid and the crime value may be invalid as well. Fort Riley is not a city.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Students. That is just sad.
Last major FHSU drug bust rounded up a bunch of kids from
Aurora, Colorado, and a Tuba player in the band from Kansas. A lot of kids go to Salina or Salina comes to them. Salina is strategically located so it's a fate that would befall any city in their geographic position :/. Salina has easy acess to almost every population center in Kansas, Kansas City, Nebraska (it's a freeway up to I-80.) etc. Kansas is too busy trying to patrol the western border to do anything about the drug traffic though Salina. They used to catch a lot of weed coming up though Liberal from Texas, but most of it is coming from Colorado now. Rural America needs to tackle the mercy problem because it's everywhere and we can't keep ignoring it infavor of petty crimes.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:13 AM

7,996 posts, read 8,737,201 times
Quote:
Last major FHSU drug bust rounded up a bunch of kids from
Aurora, Colorado, and a Tuba player in the band from Kansas. A lot of kids go to Salina or Salina comes to them. Salina is strategically located so it's a fate that would befall any city in their geographic position :/. Salina has easy acess to almost every population center in Kansas, Kansas City, Nebraska (it's a freeway up to I-80.) etc. Kansas is too busy trying to patrol the western border to do anything about the drug traffic though Salina. They used to catch a lot of weed coming up though Liberal from Texas, but most of it is coming from Colorado now. Rural America needs to tackle the mercy problem because it's everywhere and we can't keep ignoring it infavor of petty crimes.
Pittsburg Kansas, a town of maybe 17,000, has a KBI drug lab that stays pretty busy.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:55 PM

3,570 posts, read 1,632,379 times
Quote:
Newton does well because of its proximity to Hutch and Wichita. McPherson isn't the nicest town, but it's not bad. Not really growing. Dodge City, Hays, Junction City, and Emporia are all fantastic examples of decades pd poor planning and zoning. Emporia has two areas that should have become commercial Hubs for the area, but they made a mess by throwing housing and industrial areas on prime commercial realestate. Junction City and Hays are just sprawling messes and Dodge City thrives on regretting things in hindsight. Salina has a lot of drug and gang problems and it shows by how often I see them in the news and their crime rate. They do have a fantastic arts program and symphony orchestra. Salina is where a lot of FHSU students go buy meth among other things...
I agree with everything you said minus one. I was in McPherson last month and there were 2 large new plants being built, don't know what they are, but they were big buildings out near the highway. Plus they just finished the Viega building a few years ago and another large manufacturing plant, so that's 4 in the last 5 years or so. Not bad for a town it's size. I lived in McPherson for 3 years and it's my favorite city in the state, so I may be biased. For my previous job I traveled and lived in a lot of different cities, McPherson (3 years), Wichita (2 years), Concordia (1 year), Hays (6 months), Agra (awful dying little town, 6 months), Lawrence (1 year), Manhattan (2 years), and now I live back in Topeka where I grew up. Anyway, McPherson is a very well planned out city, plus it has the 2 colleges, the oil refinery, and a solid manufacturing base. The parks are very well laid out in the city, the water park has a great location. I sometimes wish I could move back.

My wife went to FHSU and lived in Hays for about 6 years, she was a Chinese student that came over for her masters degree. Her best friend dated a guy who we later found out was smuggling and selling drugs from Wichita to Hays. The police knew about him and did very little. He got arrested twice for possession of marijuana, and both times only spent one night in jail, I don't know all the details, but I know at least one of the times they didn't charge him for possession. My wife found out about this after moving away from Hays. Luckily the guy cleaned up, married the girl, and has a couple kids now. I always thought he was a good guy, just got lost in the wrong crowd...

Old 12-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I agree with everything you said minus one. I was in McPherson last month and there were 2 large new plants being built, don't know what they are, but they were big buildings out near the highway. Plus they just finished the Viega building a few years ago and another large manufacturing plant, so that's 4 in the last 5 years or so. Not bad for a town it's size. I lived in McPherson for 3 years and it's my favorite city in the state, so I may be biased. For my previous job I traveled and lived in a lot of different cities, McPherson (3 years), Wichita (2 years), Concordia (1 year), Hays (6 months), Agra (awful dying little town, 6 months), Lawrence (1 year), Manhattan (2 years), and now I live back in Topeka where I grew up. Anyway, McPherson is a very well planned out city, plus it has the 2 colleges, the oil refinery, and a solid manufacturing base. The parks are very well laid out in the city, the water park has a great location. I sometimes wish I could move back.

My wife went to FHSU and lived in Hays for about 6 years, she was a Chinese student that came over for her masters degree. Her best friend dated a guy who we later found out was smuggling and selling drugs from Wichita to Hays. The police knew about him and did very little. He got arrested twice for possession of marijuana, and both times only spent one night in jail, I don't know all the details, but I know at least one of the times they didn't charge him for possession. My wife found out about this after moving away from Hays. Luckily the guy cleaned up, married the girl, and has a couple kids now. I always thought he was a good guy, just got lost in the wrong crowd...
I can't stand HPD. I'm glad they're out there on the streets, but they're more worried about busting parties then dealing with the actual crimes in Hays. Hays crime rate is listed as being so low because the college students never report anything. FHSU has taken on trying to get the students to report things like theft and rape because it's being swept under the rug. I also like it when the teachers get together and talk about how awful HPD treats most of the foreign students. I guess they've gotten in trouble and had to settle a few things out of court because they've arrested the wrong kids and it turns out they have rich parents. I heard this while taking a Diversity Test early in a lounge full of the criminal justice teachers a few years back. There's also the fact that I drive around Hays multiple times on a daily basis and never see any patrol cars out unless it's Oktoberfest or Halloween... On the other hand I really do like the FHSU Campus Police! They are some of the nicest officers I've ever met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas