U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 01:31 PM

206 posts, read 193,891 times

Advertisements

Liked KC, excellent jobs, nice people, lots of cultural events, sports...Should try for most expensive housing you can afford or WAY out in burbs. Leavenworth, Independence and hood not great area due to gangs of kids bothering adults. If you answer the threats, you will be tortured out. Military near Leavenworth are even treated to this and some GIs run away....Leavenworth apartments are mostly empty and gangs/drugs moved in. This is gang stalking. If you see this, should not live there. Will be okay for little while if you don't answer them but can get you burned out or killed if you stay in neighborhood with kids doing this...

Is a tad expensive to be in Southern KC but the job market is really excellent, especially tech sector due to Google Fiber, 1 T internet connection. Have LOTS of small businesses running out of homes/basements...Craigslist has TONS of good job opportunities, a few are scams but majority is rockingly successful place.

If you find the locals creepy, you need to know a local as this can get you screwed out of job and housing. Local community has a lot of different scams so you need to know how to navigate the community if things 'feel weird' you need a mentor at least. Someone at work sometimes latches on to help if you are new to town. (You might find the gang activities to be a little much in KC after California, or maybe it's relaxed enough in KC not to care. ???)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 01:38 PM

206 posts, read 193,891 times
Leaving Kansas for a while. : )

Do know there is worse.

Wondering if there is better.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:17 PM

59,064 posts, read 46,209,722 times
Is has been awesome for me but I'm not dumb enough to think it's perfect for everyone or terrible for everyone either.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:41 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,773,153 times
I'd like to nominate KS101 as the city-data-forum-tinfoil-hat-poster of the year! Excellent work, and as every year, the competition is very difficult due to the large field of contestants. Just shows that the forum is certainly deserving of the reviews one sees when doing an initial google search. Entertaining stuff, in the manner of watching an accident. You know that you shouldn't be watching it, but just can't take your eyes away.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:58 AM

1,703 posts, read 2,190,046 times
I agree with idea of moving to a small town that is within a proximity of a larger city, such as Kansas City. The cost of living can be fairly reasonable in these smaller towns. There is better access to an airport, shopping, restaurants, healthcare and entertainment. Moving in from another area, you will be better received in a smaller town that is within 25-35 miles, or so, from an urban area. These communities will be more used to new folks in town. Towns that come to mind: Atchison, Baldwin, Louisburg, Paola, Tonganoxie, Bonner Springs, Gardner, De Soto, Eudora. If you are way out in the rural areas, it will be much different as not many are moving into these areas. Many of the younger people are leaving these areas and are migrating to urban areas for jobs.

I have a relative who now lives in California and he notes the weather extremes are much greater in Kansas as we have extreme hot and cold weather. We also have a lot of thunder and lightning storms and, of course, tornadoes now and then. He said when he was job hunting when he first moved to California, people wanted to hire him when they heard he was from Kansas as they thought he must have a good work ethic.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:32 AM

7,566 posts, read 7,145,794 times
He said when he was job hunting when he first moved to California, people wanted to hire him when they heard he was from Kansas as they thought he must have a good work ethic.

This is actually a believable statement. It is an example of a broad generalization that we were taught to avoid in school. But looking at it and thinking about it a bit, I would believe that someone from Kansas would have a better work ethic than someone from California. It is a broad, sweeping generalization but it is believable when you are taking a resume glimpse. Before you've garnered any further information about the person.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:45 PM

3,791 posts, read 3,583,017 times
Born and raised and college in KS. Lived 25 yrs in NorCal and can't wait to get back. Would never move back to KS. Not even KC area. Brownback has ruined KS.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:26 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,055,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Born and raised and college in KS. Lived 25 yrs in NorCal and can't wait to get back. Would never move back to KS. Not even KC area. Brownback has ruined KS.
So do you live in Kansas now? NorCal would be a neat place to live. I don't like Brownback and agree he is doing a terrible job, but honestly so far his policies have not effected me personally...

Old 12-26-2015, 09:41 PM

3,791 posts, read 3,583,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
So do you live in Kansas now? NorCal would be a neat place to live. I don't like Brownback and agree he is doing a terrible job, but honestly so far his policies have not effected me personally...
No, I am temporarily in TN.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,076 times
I dont know if this will help the original poster of this thread or not.... but I lived in Fresno, CA most of my life and my wife and moved to the backwoods of Missouri in 2012. We loved it but after awhile we found that living in a town of like 200 people you find a lot of politics and once you get caught up into it, it can make life very difficult if you are not from there. It was also a little difficult to get used to only a few places to eat and a Walmart 30 miles away as the only "department store". But after a couple of years we moved to a town of like 1200 people and it was much better - we were like an hour from Kansas City, MO and there were a few towns closer that had a Walmart and actually several grocery stores to choose from. LOL We left California to get away from the crime and for a slower paced life style. And we certainly found it in Missouri. We loved it. Had it not been for my father falling ill and wanting to spend time with him before he passed, we would have stayed. But after five years, we moved back. Now that he has passed, we are planning to move back although we are considering Kansas as well. For some people the culture shock is hard to absorb and recover from.... but for others, the big city life takes it toll and some are looking for a slower life. My sister for example could never do it... she moved to LA as soon as she graduated college and loves living in the big city. She married a guy from Arkansas and he was so ready to leave the small town. So I guess it just depends what you are looking for but if you are from the Central Valley, anything has got to be better! I live it every day so I for one can relate to your need to escape!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas