Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The key difference is that Brownback and cronies did not have alternate revenue streams to depend on after cutting income taxes for businesses and LLC's. Kansas does not have a large energy sector that pays taxes to the state, does not have much of any tourism revenues, and contends with the fact that many residents near a state line purchase goods where regressive sales taxes on basic items like grocery food items are less. There is also a significant lag between policy implementation and population flows as well. Why is the state so desperate to spend inordinate sums of money per employee to attract businesses across the state line? Businesses look at different states/markets to expand in and you have to market yourself as an attractive place for people to live and work. Kansas is demographically unbalanced compared to many states with a high percentage of elderly people and a high percentage of very young people, but with a good chunk of middle aged and younger adults missing as they leave. Kansas does not offer much to younger single people and you have to retain that demographic to have more significant economic growth.
Brownback is like most Kansans. He thinks Kansas is better than it really is. He thinks that lowering taxes will make people want to move to Kansas (residents or companies). He actually thinks Kansas is a desirable place and that by cutting taxes people would be coming to the state in droves. Kansas is not Texas where low taxes and cheap real estate drives the economy. He has proven that there is almost nothing the state can do to create this economic boom state that he thinks he can create. I mean seriously, the state of Kansas has literally handed out some of the largest corporate welfare checks to companies that I have seen anywhere in the county and the only companies interested are those that already exist within ten miles of the border. And they move to affluent suburban areas of Kansas that which make the incentives even more ludicrous.

It's absolutely hilarious that most people in Kansas will find reasons to justify what Kansas has been doing, while at the same time saying they don't support Brownback. They freaking voted him in twice. They continue to be totally fine with all the corporate welfare and how Topeka is subsidizing Johnson County while most of the rest of the state is declining. Now even Johnson County, the economic engine of Kansas, has even slowed to a rather modest growth rate. The one thing people brag about in Kansas, (JoCo public schools) are not even safe from all the massive budget cuts. The state is a mess and it really does appear that at least a majority of the residents of Kansas are either too proud to admit it or they are brainwashed, or just really ignorant.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Apparently Kansas City Missouri residents think Kansas is a great place too, because they are here all the time. And not just for work. The grocery stores on the Kansas side of the state line are full of cars with Missouri plates. You would think since the sales tax on food is higher in Kansas than Missouri, they would stay in Missouri to shop. But they don't. I'm always shocked at the number of Missouri plates when I go to the grocery store, not to mention everywhere else.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
^ yea because people driving a few miles to shop has anything to do with my post .

Yes, JoCo has a lot of retail development, far more than the county could ever support on its own. Developers like JoCo because you can get incentives to build a new development in affluent suburban areas, so yes, it has become a shopping destination for much of the south metro. Those shoppers still drive back to the MO side though where they own homes etc for a reason though...

Regardless, what a way to try to change the topic haha.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:34 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The grocery stores on the Kansas side of the state line are full of cars with Missouri plates. You would think since the sales tax on food is higher in Kansas than Missouri, they would stay in Missouri to shop. But they don't.
Head in sand.

http://http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article55209505.html

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-18-2016 at 09:28 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 09:24 AM

294 posts, read 233,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Apparently Kansas City Missouri residents think Kansas is a great place too, because they are here all the time. And not just for work. The grocery stores on the Kansas side of the state line are full of cars with Missouri plates. You would think since the sales tax on food is higher in Kansas than Missouri, they would stay in Missouri to shop. But they don't. I'm always shocked at the number of Missouri plates when I go to the grocery store, not to mention everywhere else.

Reminds me of my college days at KSU when I lived with a lot of guys from JoCo. They always mentioned about being in Western KS. I guess geography courses are still lacking today as back then. Brownbacks election and re-election were a result of so many thinking I will never vote for a Dem. Its the case for many they have to hit rock bottom before they open their eyes and ears and vote on issues instead of parties. One would think that bottom has been reached for some but who knows.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:03 AM

78,369 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
Reminds me of my college days at KSU when I lived with a lot of guys from JoCo. They always mentioned about being in Western KS. I guess geography courses are still lacking today as back then. Brownbacks election and re-election were a result of so many thinking I will never vote for a Dem. Its the case for many they have to hit rock bottom before they open their eyes and ears and vote on issues instead of parties. One would think that bottom has been reached for some but who knows.
While I completely agree with the sentiment that we should not blindly vote for ANY party I guess I'm missing how you can imply that KS won't vote for a democrat? From 2003-2011 we had a democratic governor.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
^ yea because people driving a few miles to shop has anything to do with my post .

Yes, JoCo has a lot of retail development, far more than the county could ever support on its own. Developers like JoCo because you can get incentives to build a new development in affluent suburban areas, so yes, it has become a shopping destination for much of the south metro. Those shoppers still drive back to the MO side though where they own homes etc for a reason though...

Regardless, what a way to try to change the topic haha.
Missouri gave Cerner something like 1.5billion to build there and ironically are plopping down construction on top of where the old bannister mall used to be.

Just an ironic side-note as you continue to rant about KS corporate incentives and shopping malls etc.

I mean seriously, just how many feet can you fit in that mouth?

Old 01-18-2016, 02:12 PM

294 posts, read 233,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While I completely agree with the sentiment that we should not blindly vote for ANY party I guess I'm missing how you can imply that KS won't vote for a democrat? From 2003-2011 we had a democratic governor.

True but if she did not have the name recognition that she had do you think she would have won? doubt it. Sort of proves people do not look at issues until the bottom. Problem is a lot of people are in a bottomless hole.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
True but if she did not have the name recognition that she had do you think she would have won? doubt it. Sort of proves people do not look at issues until the bottom. Problem is a lot of people are in a bottomless hole.
I can't disagree that lack of name recognition would doom a candidate seeking office.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You can link all the news articles you want. I see the parking lot of MY grocery store filled with Missouri plates every time I go. It's not far from the state line. I don't know why they choose to come across the state line to shop, but they do.

And by the way, you can't always trust "news" articles. I am in the medical field and I am always rolling my eyes at news stories that are inaccurate or are touted as something new when it's not new at all. So I wouldn't take a news article as "proof" of anything and would trust my own eyes more than something I see in the Kansas City Star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas