Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:58 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,863,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
2nd fastest growing economy? How many tower cranes are up in Kansas right now? Is there even one?
It's mostly agricultural growth. How many tower cranes does it take to plant wheat? Jk, but I understand your point. I'm not sure if a tower is needed, but they are getting ready to tear down one of the old state office buildings in Topeka.

Actually, there is a lot of construction around Topeka right now, but nothing that requires cranes. The city is doing very well financially and has good management, the first time in 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 11:56 AM

77,734 posts, read 59,858,282 times
Quote:
2nd fastest growing economy? How many tower cranes are up in Kansas right now? Is there even one?
With all due respect, there have been numerous threads where the RATE of growth in KS has been cited as proof that they are doing poorly.

While both are bad methodology I would hope people would at least be consistent on the methodology instead of just being consistent on picking whatever makes KS look good or bad.

Frankly, I just wish people would use good methodology but we can't even get our own governments (State or Federal) to be honest there so I hold little hope.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:05 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,632,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
With all due respect, there have been numerous threads where the RATE of growth in KS has been cited as proof that they are doing poorly.

While both are bad methodology I would hope people would at least be consistent on the methodology instead of just being consistent on picking whatever makes KS look good or bad.

Frankly, I just wish people would use good methodology but we can't even get our own governments (State or Federal) to be honest there so I hold little hope.
And the very worst methodology by which to measure an economy is by counting the number of tower cranes.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,094,661 times
Quote:
I'm sure somewhere a crane is lifting a cross onto something somewhere in Kansas

I'm flying over KS in 2 weeks... I'll keep my eyes pealed for cranes.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
It's mostly agricultural growth. How many tower cranes does it take to plant wheat? Jk, but I understand your point. I'm not sure if a tower is needed, but they are getting ready to tear down one of the old state office buildings in Topeka.

Actually, there is a lot of construction around Topeka right now, but nothing that requires cranes. The city is doing very well financially and has good management, the first time in 20 years.
Poor downtown Topeka just never seems to change. I drove through it last year and it looked the same as it did 30 years ago. It does have potential... if anyone cared.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,863,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Poor downtown Topeka just never seems to change. I drove through it last year and it looked the same as it did 30 years ago. It does have potential... if anyone cared.
Yeah, I can't say for 30 years ago, but it has improved "some" in the last few years, but every time they take a step forward, something happens to hinder that. They just redid the main streets, put in a bunch of new trees, nice street lights, it's really quite nice. There are new lofts under construction, a new hotels, a nice one actually downtown, not some motel 8, and a new loft building was built just a few years ago, and they all sold out within a year. But then the state moved the Department of Agriculture from downtown to Manhattan last year, which does make some sense, but it was just bad timing for all the renovations being done downtown. Then last year there was a big fire that put 3-4 successful businesses out of business, only 1 has reopened downtown. They did have a Jazz festival last fall that was really successful, they estimate 5,000 people showed up downtown. The Rescue Run, which is a 5K, maybe a 10K as well, started 2-3 years ago and has been very successful. So there is work being done, and a lot of people do care. But Topeka has been a self-hating city for a long time, and I think I can finally see that starting to change. Topeka has some bad spots, and is boring, but I don't think the hate against the city is justified. The region has a lot of potential, we just get crappy people in charge.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And the very worst methodology by which to measure an economy is by counting the number of tower cranes.
lol. No, counting tower cranes is the BEST way....when you have the most tower cranes.

Just like measuring the rate of CHANGE in jobs is the best way when you have more unemployment.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm sure somewhere a crane is lifting a cross onto something somewhere in Kansas

I'm flying over KS in 2 weeks... I'll keep my eyes pealed for cranes.
I was in Colorado springs recently and there was a hooker and her pimp in the Circle K I stopped at and quite a few homeless people around.

Why is Colorado such a dump?

Is that a fair assessment? I only make this comment to maybe prod some introspection.

How about you could wind turbines instead?

Last edited by Mathguy; 03-16-2016 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 AM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
lol. No, counting tower cranes is the BEST way....when you have the most tower cranes.

Just like measuring the rate of CHANGE in jobs is the best way when you have more unemployment.
The most valid metric to use is non-farm employment change. Kansas saw a 0.1% change in total non-farm employment between January 2015 to January 2016.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I was in Colorado springs recently and there was a hooker and her pimp in the Circle K I stopped at and quite a few homeless people around.

Why is Colorado such a dump?

Is that a fair assessment? I only make this comment to maybe prod some introspection.

How about you could wind turbines instead?
That's certainly a fair assessment of Colorado Springs. Who do you think services all those morally superior preachers down there?? Hint: it's not their wives

In my defense, the "Bible Belt" feeling does slap you upside the head when you drive from Colorado into Kansas... what with all the "white Jesus" billboards and such. You get the same thing in Colo. Springs as well (Focus on the Gays, etc.) Overall, Colorado isn't that religious of a state, but many would probably be surprised that KS (according to this PEW research) is less than 50%. (Don't tell Brownback!)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...?state=alabama

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas