U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best major city in kansas
Wichita 12 30.00%
Overland Park 14 35.00%
KCK 1 2.50%
Olathe 1 2.50%
Topeka 1 2.50%
Lawrence 9 22.50%
Manhattan 7 17.50%
Salina 0 0%
Emporia 0 0%
Hutchinson 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:32 PM

726 posts, read 907,021 times

Advertisements

I laughed at Emporia being on this list out of its similar sized peers as it isn't much of a regional center for anything anymore.

I'll just name what I like out of the others.
Wichita - Cultural center of Kansas (something I bet JoCo despises) with the big arana, symphony, grand opera, and museums. If you're looking for some beautiful older homes drive around the area east of Old Town where Kirstie Alley maintains her Wichita home.

Overland Park - Nice chunk of suburbia with a nice mall and great schools. I wouldn't mind living there in the least.

KCK - Uh, Well, the Kansas Speedway is there if you're into that, and my father likes Cabela's...

Olathe - Bland, but livable suburbia with a nice school district.

Topeka - There's a decent regents university there.

Lawrence - Very nice college town with a passion to keep big boxes from taking over and killing their downtown.

Manhattan - Another nice college town with a decent zoo and a unique attempt at fixing the downtown they destroyed in the 80's.

Salina - Decent shopping options and a good regional symphony orchestra.

Hutchinson - They have another nice regional symphony orchestra and the underground salt museum is pretty cool.

Emporia - It's near the tall grass prairie.

Pittsburg - They have a beautiful downtown and a decent university on a nice campus.

Dodge City - If you're into western stuff, Dodge City days is a pretty cool event. They also have some nice restaurants.

Garden City - Has arguably the 2nd nicest Zoo in the state, great local restaurants and the only Target store within 200 miles.

Hays - A decent university, and if the weather doesn't cancel it, there's always Oktoberfest.

I struggled on some of these...

Someone please help me find nice things to say about Coffeyville, Liberal, Junction City, Great Bend, Parsons, and Arkansas City because I'm drawing blanks there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 11:18 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Junction City has a unique Korean community for the area and some surprisingly good restaurants. Plus some neat sights related to the old Fort on the military base.

I've heard of good things about Ark City, but I've never actually been there. The rest are fairly isolated rural agricultural centers, what can one expect?

Old 03-27-2016, 01:03 PM

726 posts, read 907,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Junction City has a unique Korean community for the area and some surprisingly good restaurants. Plus some neat sights related to the old Fort on the military base.

I've heard of good things about Ark City, but I've never actually been there. The rest are fairly isolated rural agricultural centers, what can one expect?
I don't think any worse of them than I do Topeka, Hutchinson, or Emporia, though. I'm especially not a fan of Emporia.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I don't think any worse of them than I do Topeka, Hutchinson, or Emporia, though. I'm especially not a fan of Emporia.
Topeka is my hometown so I'm biased, but I think Topeka is about halfway down that list. It's a better city then Emporia, Hutch, Salina, Junction City, and all the towns you added at the bottom of your list. But it's not as good as Manhattan, Lawrence, most of joco, or many Wichita suburbs. McPherson is also a town that is often overlooked, it's not big, but it's a really nice town.

I personally think Lawrence is overhyped, after living there a year, I didn't really like it that much. Sure downtown is neat and the downtown has a lot to do for a city its size, but outside that it's really a pretty average city. The university really makes the town. Maybe Lawrence is just too dense for me, traffic is awful, it's loud a lot, and i saw more students passed out drunk then I care for. It just wasn't for me.

Manhattan, on the other hand was about perfect for me. Still fairly dense with a good amount of amenities, but not as in your face; loud, parties, etc.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:05 PM

10,842 posts, read 19,413,421 times
There is only one "major" city in Kansas and it's only major because there is nothing else in Kansas outside smaller towns and suburban KC.

Wichita.

Wichita is also the only stand alone city with its own attractions etc. The Kansas side of KC has some attractions, but the vast majority of things to do in Kansas City metro are not on the Kansas side.

As far as economic importance, the KS side of KC "as a whole" is more important economically, but a single city like Olathe or Topeka or KCK or Overland Park are not really peers to Wichita. They are either much smaller or are suburbs.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
There is only one "major" city in Kansas and it's only major because there is nothing else in Kansas outside smaller towns and suburban KC.

Wichita.

Wichita is also the only stand alone city with its own attractions etc. The Kansas side of KC has some attractions, but the vast majority of things to do in Kansas City metro are not on the Kansas side.

As far as economic importance, the KS side of KC "as a whole" is more important economically, but a single city like Olathe or Topeka or KCK or Overland Park are not really peers to Wichita. They are either much smaller or are suburbs.
I think he just meant relatively to Kansas, not nationally. If you look at his criteria, it's not just based on economics. If one is talking about economic influence, then yes, Wichita is the only major influence. I took his question to be more about quality of life, then economics.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:35 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,794,344 times

Wichita.

Actually, to a relative newcomer to Kansas like I am, the post above explains a lot about the Kansas City Metro on the Kansas side, and how Wichita relates to the KC Metro area. Interesting stuff!

Old 03-30-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Wichita.

I sometimes wonder if the KS side would be better off if they tried to unify some of the towns and cities. I just live a couple hours away and I get the various KS side cities mixed up all the time. I go to 888 International Market once a month and we normally eat out when we are there, but it's hard for me to know what restaurants are closer or farther when I see their city names. I don't even know which city 888 is in, maybe Olathe or Overland Park?

Old 03-30-2016, 12:26 PM

1,166 posts, read 552,879 times
Quote:

Wichita.

I agree with this, the other "cities" are actually either a relatively small grouping of suburban subdivisions or tiny towns. I suppose it is all relative to what you know and where you have lived. To me, places like Manhattan are small towns and Olathe would be just a bedroom community suburb of Kansas City. The only real standalone city I have seen in Kansas is Wichita. To see places like Hays or Pittsburg described as cities is weird, I have seen master planned community neighborhoods that are much bigger than those so called cities.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I agree with this, the other "cities" are actually either a relatively small grouping of suburban subdivisions or tiny towns. I suppose it is all relative to what you know and where you have lived. To me, places like Manhattan are small towns and Olathe would be just a bedroom community suburb of Kansas City. The only real standalone city I have seen in Kansas is Wichita. To see places like Hays or Pittsburg described as cities is weird, I have seen master planned community neighborhoods that are much bigger than those so called cities.
A lot of us are from towns of a few thousand or less, so it's not uncommon to hear people call places with 15,000+ cities. My hometown just broke 1000 people a few years ago. My wife is from Xuchang, China, about 3-4 million people, and she calls that a small town. There is a city about an hour away called Zhengzhou which has about 10 million people, which she calls a city. All of the listed "cities" are the major cities of Kansas, imo. There are a few more, which Empires added, but I don't think it's too bad of a list. In China, neither Wichita or the whole KC metro would be considered major cities. I think it's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or