Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best major city in kansas
Wichita 12 29.27%
Overland Park 14 34.15%
KCK 2 4.88%
Olathe 1 2.44%
Topeka 1 2.44%
Lawrence 9 21.95%
Manhattan 7 17.07%
Salina 0 0%
Emporia 0 0%
Hutchinson 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 01:31 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I do understand what people mean when they talk about flyover country or Palin's Real America now though.
I understand what they mean as well: they mean "I have deeply rooted self esteem problems that are only alleviated by pretending my personal preferences are somehow 'better' than other people's. Usually, I prefer to express this by over-generalization and prejudice, but don't worry! I only target "safe" groups of people to denigrate, never ones that might make me a social pariah in my like-minded social set."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 01:52 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Eastern JOCO is far nicer than most of Olathe. The only redeeming area is by K-10 due to the much nicer scenery by Cedar Creek. That is not to even mention the built environment of Olathe and the horrid traffic/layout.
Cedar Creek has beautiful homes, but I noticed that there is no retail anywhere close. I mean, it's at least a 15 min. drive to get to the closest grocery store. That's a huge fail, IMO.

And yes... getting around Olathe is a complete nightmare. They must enjoy all that quality time spent in their cars.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:38 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Cedar Creek has beautiful homes, but I noticed that there is no retail anywhere close. I mean, it's at least a 15 min. drive to get to the closest grocery store. That's a huge fail, IMO.

And yes... getting around Olathe is a complete nightmare. They must enjoy all that quality time spent in their cars.
Not sure when you looked at Cedar Creek but that's no longer the case if it was once true.

Just pull up a map.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not sure when you looked at Cedar Creek but that's no longer the case if it was once true.

Just pull up a map.
I looked on Google maps and the closest grocery store I could find was K-10 and Ridgeview.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:02 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,178 times
Quote:
I looked on Google maps and the closest grocery store I could find was K-10 and Ridgeview.

Price Chopper K10 and Woodland. There's also a Walmart at K7 and Santa Fe with another Price Chopper. There are areas of many cities that are way further from a grocery store than that. It only took seconds to find parts of Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Parker, and Lone Tree that fit the bill in Demver. I like the Homestead Woods/Creek subdivision in Olathe. My friend lives just south of there and it's a nice are near shopping with older and newer options.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Price Chopper K10 and Woodland. There's also a Walmart at K7 and Santa Fe with another Price Chopper. There are areas of many cities that are way further from a grocery store than that. It only took seconds to find parts of Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Parker, and Lone Tree that fit the bill in Demver. I like the Homestead Woods/Creek subdivision in Olathe. My friend lives just south of there and it's a nice are near shopping with older and newer options.
Yes, that's the grocery store... the Price Chopper. And for me, that's completely and unreasonably too far from retail if you live in Cedar Creek. My mom lives near College and Lone Elm, and it's too far of a drive for me to the grocery store from there. I live in the city of Denver, which is dense enough that there are grocery stores nearby in most areas.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:06 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,178 times
Quote:
Yes, that's the grocery store... the Price Chopper. And for me, that's completely and unreasonably too far from retail if you live in Cedar Creek. My mom lives near College and Lone Elm, and it's too far of a drive for me to the grocery store from there. I live in the city of Denver, which is dense enough that there are grocery stores nearby in most areas.
The area will develop eventually. Especially when Garmin completes its expansion. I doubt the people in that neighborhood care too much or the houses there would never sell. I mean in rural Kansas, both eastern and western, you have people who have to drive 30-60 minutes to have access to a decent grocery store (there is no reason Ulysses should be stuck with only a rundown Shopko Hometown in the old Gibson's-Alco building as their main retail store as they could support a Walmart or a Dillons seeing as Greensburg and Colby have a Dillons and Pratt has both. I mean a lot of them already drive to GC or Liberal to shop at those stores at least once a week.) and they accept that as a part of life. Cedar Creek is far from being in a food desert when the residents are obviously affluent enough to own a functioning car to head a couple of minutes down the road. Heck, because Hays is layed out so poorly it can take me 15 minutes to get to Walmart even if I catch a few green lights.

I agree that Olathe's grid system isn't the best though. Kansas has several towns with horrible layouts besides Olathe. Dodge City, Hays, Emporia, Junction City, and Great Bend just to name a few. Garden City, Manhattan, Lawrence, and Liberal are part of a few that are easy to get around and have decently built thoroughfares. To be fair, Dodge was half built on some nasty hills and they had a really cool large and dense downtown up until the early 70's when a fly by night developer made big promises, had them demolish large chunks of it, and then never follow through.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 PM

7 posts, read 34,802 times
Default Manhattan is (Kinda) great

I have lived in Manhattan for 20 years and would have noted it #1 about 10 years ago. It is a city of rapid growth and unique character. The problem that has arisen is that it has grown too quickly and there has been a conservative "no/low tax" mindset so we're seeing bad effects from failing to support our local government and law enforcement. Crime, noise, trash, etc are all on the upswing. The city hasn't had the resources to actively enforce code and zoning so we have a lot of areas overrun with people, trash, parking, noise, etc. The police have let aggieville bar owners profits prevail over all other concerns, which has led to the spread of aggieville problems into once nice historic neighborhoods. This pushes long-term residents (like me) to the westside, but westside home costs are astronomical for KS.

Now, I would pick Topeka or Overland Park (or a similar KC metro) above my current home. I would pick Topeka for its low cost of living and OP for its family-friendly aesthetic and control over its growth. If Manhattan gets back on the right path, it could be the best city. If it doesn't, it will be a hot mess.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:14 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Ok, my bad. When you said it would take 15minutes I didn't realize you were talking about riding a bicycle there.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, my bad. When you said it would take 15minutes I didn't realize you were talking about riding a bicycle there.
It looks like about 8-10 miles from the middle of Cedar Creek to the closest grocery store. For ME, that's unacceptable and I would never live somewhere so far from convenience. If I suddenly need a stick of butter, it'll take a half hour round trip to go get it. Where I live now, a grocery store is 4 blocks from my house. That's why I choose to live in a city rather than rural/exurban area. I hate driving... and wasting my time driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas