Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:34 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,413,458 times

Advertisements

The flies you'll see won't bite you. At least I don't think they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 AM

767 posts, read 1,308,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan View Post
Yeah, flies I can deal with. At least I know they aren't gonna bite or sting me. Unless you're talking about horse flies, or deer flies, anyway.
I hope you continue to post in the KS forum and keep us updated once you're settled in.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:27 PM

I'll second that emotion. Hey, empires228, what do you think of Fairway, KS? Any thoughts or opinions on it one way or another? Is it a good place ta live? I like how it's so close to Kansas City. There's a job in my field open there and I don't think I'd wanna leave Dodge I'm just interested in your opinion on the small city. You are a great source of all things Kansas information!

Old 05-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I'll second that emotion. Hey, empires228, what do you think of Fairway, KS? Any thoughts or opinions on it one way or another? Is it a good place ta live? I like how it's so close to Kansas City. There's a job in my field open there and I don't think I'd wanna leave Dodge I'm just interested in your opinion on the small city. You are a great source of all things Kansas information!
I answered your post over in the KC Forum, but It must of gotten buried. I'll find it and post it here.

I don't know much about Fairway except I've driven through it a few times as a "scenic way" to observe at the shawnee mission east high feeder schools and go to Macy's. Or when I feel like driving through Mission Hills. I LOVE the location of the suburb though! It's one of the BEST located suburbs in the metro because you're not too far from anything. The homes there would be pricier because of the proximity to Mission Hills, the country club, and The Plaza. The neighborhood is also full of mature trees and isn't plagued with the identical McMansions of the newer suburban developments in the metro. This street views you can find on google alone just appeal to me because of the trees that we can't grow out here.

The only real downside is that if The Plaza isn't your thing then you do have to trek a ways into southern Johnson County for other shopping options. Oak Park Mall, Legends, and Leawood Town Center can be around a 20 minute drive, and Zona Rosa and Independence Center (in Missouri) are 30 minutes. Fairway isn't too far from a stand alone Macy's that is the oldest operating department store in the metro. The closest "Mall" is Ward Parkway Center, which has been slowly de-malled outside of a small corridor connecting Target with an historically significant AMC Theatre (the first of its kind in the country) and Ross Dress For Less. Dillard's closed their store and the rest of the mall was inverted and has stores like Trader Joe's, Old Navy, and Home Goods. There isn't much variety, though as the smaller stores in the interior section aren't mall staples like Christopher and Banks, but instead are pretty much limited to a dated Claire's, a Bath & Body Works, and a Foot Locker with the 1970's logo intact.

Last edited by empires228; 05-06-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 03:30 PM

179 posts, read 246,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I hope you continue to post in the KS forum and keep us updated once you're settled in.
Oh I plan on staying active in the KS forum for sure. I think I might try asking the admins if I can change my name, though, because I don't think I'll be grumpy anymore now that I live here.

That's right, I'm here now. We just got into GC last night after 3 long days of driving, all the way from Tampa, FL. I just now got back home from returning the Uhaul truck. We are officially moved in. Everything's in boxes, but it's all inside the new house so I just say we're moved in now.

I love love love the weather here. I know it changes frequently, but yesterday and today have been gorgeous. On our way in, somewhere between Jetmore and GC, we were greeted by such lovely views of the plains, farmland, and just miles upon miles of nothingness. I love it so much. Last night I was standing outside in my back yard, and I was blown away by how many stars I can see, even in the city limits, with the relatively high light pollution there is here in GC. So tonight we're gonna drive a short way outside of the city just to look at the stars.

Did I mention I love it here?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan View Post
Oh I plan on staying active in the KS forum for sure. I think I might try asking the admins if I can change my name, though, because I don't think I'll be grumpy anymore now that I live here.

That's right, I'm here now. We just got into GC last night after 3 long days of driving, all the way from Tampa, FL. I just now got back home from returning the Uhaul truck. We are officially moved in. Everything's in boxes, but it's all inside the new house so I just say we're moved in now.

I love love love the weather here. I know it changes frequently, but yesterday and today have been gorgeous. On our way in, somewhere between Jetmore and GC, we were greeted by such lovely views of the plains, farmland, and just miles upon miles of nothingness. I love it so much. Last night I was standing outside in my back yard, and I was blown away by how many stars I can see, even in the city limits, with the relatively high light pollution there is here in GC. So tonight we're gonna drive a short way outside of the city just to look at the stars.

Did I mention I love it here?
If you get far enough outside of town you can see the milky way!

Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 AM

179 posts, read 246,351 times
^ I look forward to that! We are going to drive out to the west a little bit this weekend. Maybe somewhere between here and Pueblo I can find a good star gazing spot.

I had my name changed! I'm no longer grumpy, so I can't call myself grumpy young man any more.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
^ I look forward to that! We are going to drive out to the west a little bit this weekend. Maybe somewhere between here and Pueblo I can find a good star gazing spot.

I had my name changed! I'm no longer grumpy, so I can't call myself grumpy young man any more.
If you head far enough west see if any of the farmers markets in Rocky Ford and La Junta are open! The Ark River Valley towns in Colorado aren't very vibrant or nice, but the farmers markets and produce are fantastic. I doubt they'll be around in 20 years since Colorado Springs is buying up all the irrigation water rights to fuel their unsustainable growth.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 PM

Congratulations, High Plains Guy! I know what you mean, Kansas is a pretty good place ta be. I am getting settled in to my job, the people are great, the congregation we're in really loves us and cares about us, and those stars at night! Whoo-hooo!!!

I agree, we've both found gems inside the great plains here!

Old 05-12-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Congratulations, High Plains Guy! I know what you mean, Kansas is a pretty good place ta be. I am getting settled in to my job, the people are great, the congregation we're in really loves us and cares about us, and those stars at night! Whoo-hooo!!!

I agree, we've both found gems inside the great plains here!
I'm glad I have fellow Kansas forum members who don't hate the corner of the state I'm from! Life in rural America is really what you make it out to be. I like it because the air is fresh, the skies are blue, you can see for miles, and the stars are stunning out in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas