Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 4,394 times

Advertisements

Exactly! I just turned 29 last Friday and I already feel like an old grumpy man!! Your description of Florida seems pretty much the same as here in CA. There seems to be so many people coming into the state from all over the world. The demographics are changing and everything is extremely crowded. Everyday activities become an all day thing and parking everywhere is horrible. Traffic is bumper to bumper in every street at any hour. Housing is insane. What you would buy in Kansas for 75,000 is about 500,000. Looks like there is nowhere to build but upwards. A lot of buildings and condo's are starting to rise and there seems to be no end to it. Anywho, I don't want to sound so negative. So yes I miss the open fields, fresh air, among other things in Kansas. We will see what the Lord has in store for the future, and I make the move back soon! =] Again, Congrats on the move! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 AM

179 posts, read 248,613 times
Thanks Baxie. You know exactly what I'm talking about, then. Everything you just mentioned is exactly what I felt the need to escape from. And I did it!

I really, REALLY love it here. Yesterday my wife and I took a day trip to Pueblo, CO, and it was such a wonderful road trip. In a mere 4 hours as we ascended the high plains we watched the land go from flat mixed grass prairie, to a hilly short grass prairie, to a butte-filled high desert landscape. Back home in Florida, if I were to drive 4 hours from Tampa, nothing would have changed around me. Nothing. So while my wife would have normally been looking at her phone or reading a book during a 4 hour road trip, this time she had her eyes glued out the window the entire time. There's just so much to look at, and it is so dynamic out here. I feel like a broken record, but I can't stop talking about how much I love it here.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:17 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
Thanks Baxie. You know exactly what I'm talking about, then. Everything you just mentioned is exactly what I felt the need to escape from. And I did it!

I really, REALLY love it here. Yesterday my wife and I took a day trip to Pueblo, CO, and it was such a wonderful road trip. In a mere 4 hours as we ascended the high plains we watched the land go from flat mixed grass prairie, to a hilly short grass prairie, to a butte-filled high desert landscape. Back home in Florida, if I were to drive 4 hours from Tampa, nothing would have changed around me. Nothing. So while my wife would have normally been looking at her phone or reading a book during a 4 hour road trip, this time she had her eyes glued out the window the entire time. There's just so much to look at, and it is so dynamic out here. I feel like a broken record, but I can't stop talking about how much I love it here.
Parts of the drive can be really pretty during the fall when one can look out and see the Arkansas River lined with yellow trees. What all did you guys do in Pueblo? I finally made it back to GC around 4:00 yesterday to make it to some high school graduation parties. Today I'm heading to the Zoo and I'm hoping to get ahold of a friend from college who manages a local business.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:26 AM

179 posts, read 248,613 times
All we did when we got there was immediately have lunch and a beer at Brues Alehouse. The beer selection was fantastic, and the food was phenomenal. Had ourselves a fancy burger, some loaded fries, and what might have been the best green chili I've ever tasted. Then after that we walked around the Riverwalk and just enjoyed being in the warm weather before driving back to relatively chilly Garden City.

We decided that Pueblo was such a cool city that we plan on going back and staying overnight so that we can explore more of it. I was super impressed with how clean the downtown was. Many people had warned me that Pueblo has been combating an image problem, or something like that, but after seeing what I saw that makes no sense... It was a beautiful and *clean* city.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
All we did when we got there was immediately have lunch and a beer at Brues Alehouse. The beer selection was fantastic, and the food was phenomenal. Had ourselves a fancy burger, some loaded fries, and what might have been the best green chili I've ever tasted. Then after that we walked around the Riverwalk and just enjoyed being in the warm weather before driving back to relatively chilly Garden City.

We decided that Pueblo was such a cool city that we plan on going back and staying overnight so that we can explore more of it. I was super impressed with how clean the downtown was. Many people had warned me that Pueblo has been combating an image problem, or something like that, but after seeing what I saw that makes no sense... It was a beautiful and *clean* city.
Pueblo and Greely get a bad rap for their industrial job base and high Hispanic population. If there's anything that my friends from Denver unjustly hate more than people from
California it's the Hispanics. It's stupid and I can't get a legitimized reason for the hatred out of them because they all like Mexican food. Two of them refuse to come home with me. La Junta and Lamar deserve their bad reputation, but not Pueblo.

I'm sitting at Baskin Robbins in GC just happy to find it open. When the owners put the building up for sale we didn't think they'd stick around. The zoo is next. This towns layout is so much better than Hays and I take that for granted when I'm not here.

Last edited by empires228; 05-16-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,394 times
Yes High Plains Guy,

When you start heading into Colorado and New Mexico it starts to change into beautiful landscapes. Whenever I visit DC, I take the Southwestern Chief on Amtrak. I love it when we start to get into New Mexico and South Eastern Colorado. It is a great view! I totally understand. Sounds like you guys had a great time! Sad to see so much hatred towards the "Hispanics".

Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxie View Post
Yes High Plains Guy,

When you start heading into Colorado and New Mexico it starts to change into beautiful landscapes. Whenever I visit DC, I take the Southwestern Chief on Amtrak. I love it when we start to get into New Mexico and South Eastern Colorado. It is a great view! I totally understand. Sounds like you guys had a great time! Sad to see so much hatred towards the "Hispanics".
I don't understand it either.

Zoo was a good time. The lion cubs were playing with their mom (thought she didn't seem to enjoy it!) and the new rhinos were out. The new baby camel and mama camel were nuzzled up together.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
When we were there the lion cubs were really cute. They were playing with each other - roughhousing and such. It was adorable. Saw the giraffes and one of them was about 15' tall. Very cool to watch the two giraffes.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
When we were there the lion cubs were really cute. They were playing with each other - roughhousing and such. It was adorable. Saw the giraffes and one of them was about 15' tall. Very cool to watch the two giraffes.
Hope you guys avoided any tornado damage! I've been fairly sick to the last week so I had nothing better to do than gue myself to weather news on the radio .

Old 05-25-2016, 09:30 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
We went to the cellar here in our south Dodge rental house. It was nerve-wracking! We escaped any damage. We just endured the hail flying down. Thankfully I've got a 3-car garage in our rental so I could place the '11 Kia Soul 5-speed base in the garage and didn't need to endure massive hail damage on our car.

I'm told Kia of Dodge City didn't make it out so fortunate as many of their cars for sale out on the lot got hail damage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas